Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm midway through my mid-winter overhaul. I've pulled the C-Record BB (2002) and the bearings sound rough. LBS says that the left bearing (the large one) can be replaced, but the two drive-side ones are not to be messed with. The bearings are non-Campy items. Does anyone have experience with this? Know where to get a replacement bearing? (Its doesn't have a Campy part #.)

Thanks,

·
Registered
10,160 Posts
your LBS is wrong...

The bearing part numbers can be found on the campy website, www.campagnlo.com.

The original bearings are high quality SKF brand. The left side takes a 6903 and the right side takes two 6803 bearings. These are standard bearing numbers, recognized by all manufacturers. It would be a waste of time to only replace the left side bearing. I've never taken one completely apart, but anything that was assembled can be disassembled. The problem for someone doing home repair is finding the right driver to press the new bearings in place without damaging them. You cannot apply pressure to the outer race or seals. The driver must place force only on the inner race that contacts the spindle.

Much cheaper bearings can be obtained from www.mcmaster.com. Be sure to get double sealed, not shielded bearings. They cost $5-10 each.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts