Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

· Registered
1,420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm planning on replacing my brake and shifter cables on my Bianchi Intenso with 10 speed Shimano 105 group. I can confirm that the brake cable is standard 5mm and the shift cable is standard 4mm, but there seem to be some variances in O.D. for the brake cable ferrules. My parts bin has brake ferrules to fit 5mm brake housing but O.D.s are 5.5mm on some and 5.9mm on others.

The reason the O.D. is important is that the CF frame has internal cables and where the ferrules need to 'plug in" to the frame, they need to be the smaller outside diameter version. Also, the OEM ferrules, Bianchi implemented are silver alloy and for looks I think I would prefer to use a black ferrule, maybe plastic. Interestingly, Bianchi used black ferrules for the shifter cable housing.

If I order Shimano cables and housing, which I am likely to want to use, what can I expect to get for ferrules?

· 'brifter' is f'ing stupid
15,966 Posts
The ferrules that come w/ the housing kit will fit. 100%. Brake ferrules are plated brass. Shift ferrules can be plastic or aluminum, mostly plastic. SRAM uses metal, pretty sure it's aluminum, Shimano uses plastic but includes an aluminum ferrule to be used at the rear derailleur.

· Registered
1,420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, CX.

What has caused my concern is that I had a lot of brake end caps left over from a Jagwire cable set and while they were definitely for 5mm brake cable and fit over the cable casing correctly, they definitely did not fit into the cable stop openings on my CF Bianchi frame.

Maybe the ferrules were from a "universal" cable set and perhaps Shimano sets do not have a variance of O.D. and their ferrules are always 5.5mm O.D.?

Plan is to go with a Shimano set, probably the Dura Ace version, but I would hate to find out late that the ferrules do not fit into the cable stop openings on my Bianchi Intenso frame.

· Registered
1,420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
IME the only time they don't fit is when they're not used. Which is rare.
Well, the OEM ferrules in use (appear to be the plated brass) obviously fit into the frame's holes and accomodate 5mm brake cable, however most of the ferrules I tried from the parts bin and leftover Jagwire set do not fit inside the frame holes at all while they too certainly accommodate the 5mm brake cable casing.

I guess the only way I'm going to know what fits will be if I am able to learn the O.D. of the ferrules in the Shimano kit. 5.5 - 5.7 mm, will most likely fit, 5.8 - 5.9mm will be a no go.

· Registered
1,420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I’ve concluded that the OEM ferrules Bianchi used to fit into the frames internal brake cable stops have to be non-standard as they are able to accommodate standard 5mm brake cable housing yet with an outside diameter of the ferrule measuring around 5.5mm and not the standard O.D. of 5.9mm - 6.1mm.

That must be a very thin-walled ferrule! Perhaps Bianchi expects users will just skip the ferrules altogether when replacing a brake cable set since the variance between the cable casing and the hole it goes into up against the stop is only .5mm.

· Registered
1,420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
I think you're both right. The OEM ferrules Bianchi used clearly had a non-standard O.D. (confirmed with my calipers and makes you wonder how thin their walls) and I can reuse them, or, because the opening is so small the internal cable stop openings don't require ferrules at all.

One point of interest is that I had cracking of the brake cable casing, right at this non standard ferrule going into the ferrule. My quickie solution (until I do a full cable/casing refit) was to pull the cable out past the casing, cut off the damaged 1/2" and then reinstall the ferrule and cabling. Makes you wonder what good the ferrule was doing if it allowed the cable casing to fracture at that point.

On the bright side, where would this forum be if we weren't discussing this trivial matter!
Hood Automotive lighting Chair Automotive tire Bicycle tire

Tire Bicycle tire Wheel Automotive tire Bicycle frame

· Registered
1,420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
CX do you prefer the Dura-Ace polymer coated cable sets to Shimano’s next model down, stainless with PTFE coating?

Others certainly welcome to chime in. Not that much difference in price, so if the Dura-Ace version is better…

· Banned Sock Puppet
17,776 Posts
CX do you prefer the Dura-Ace polymer coated cable sets to Shimano’s next model down, stainless with PTFE coating?

Others certainly welcome to chime in. Not that much difference in price, so if the Dura-Ace version is better…
My take is any good quality stainless steel cables are good enough. Don't get the cheaper galvanized cables.

· Banned Sock Puppet
17,776 Posts
I don't normally use any coated cables, just the normal stainless ones.
And brand doesn't make much of a difference either. Right now I'm trying Alligator 31 cables on my Shimano bike to see if they last any longer before my rear shifter chews it up. Miles will tell.

· Registered
1,420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well, I'm looking to replace the full cable sets, brake and shifter casing and cables. When I am just replacing cables, I usually just go with any stainless inner cables that my LBS has on hand (usually Shimano).

So speaking of full brake and shifter cable set replacement, does it pay to go with the top of the line Dura-Ace or is the sweet spot somewhere just below, say the Optislick Derailleur cable & housing set and the Road PTFE Brake Cable and Housing set?

thanks, all

· Banned Sock Puppet
17,776 Posts
Well, I'm looking to replace the full cable sets, brake and shifter casing and cables. When I am just replacing cables, I usually just go with any stainless inner cables that my LBS has on hand (usually Shimano).

So speaking of full brake and shifter cable set replacement, does it pay to go with the top of the line Dura-Ace or is the sweet spot somewhere just below, say the Optislick Derailleur cable & housing set and the Road PTFE Brake Cable and Housing set?

thanks, all
No, it doesn't pay to go with top of the line. As long as the cables are stainless and not galvanized, they are as good as the expensive ones with the "magic coatings".

· Registered
1,420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Seems everyone has reviewed the stainless inner cables, but no mention of the quality or preference of the cable casing itself. Are these all the same among the Shimano range?

· Registered
1,420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I just remembered that my shift cables have inline adjusters out front of the bars. Do these typically come apart and become reusable with the new cable set? Seems it adds a little complexity to measuring and cutting the cable housing and will require additional cable end caps.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts