Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently lost my cadence magnet from my crank arm (ok, I didn't lose it, it was taken from me by a tree). Thinking I would be smart about it, I went down to the local hardware store and picked up a magnetic strip that seemed like the right width. I cut a piece off, strapped it to my crank and... nothing :(.

Is there a trick I'm missing? Specific kind/strength of magnet?

Thanks!

·
Registered
64 Posts
Usually the magnets are strong little guys. People have had luck going to Radio Shack and getting a "rare earth magnet" and gluing it into place. An alternative to glue could be electrical tape, but that's a little less permanent for some folks.

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
Same thing happened to me and I had a name tag for a suit jacket that had a magnet on it and I took it off and using clear packing tape on the crank. It works fine. Your magnet is probably not strong enough, those type of magnets barely hold paper on. Another magnet which should work is the magnets that are used in the doors of refrigerators.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Camilo said:
sometimes the path of least resistence, cost and time-wise is to go to a bike shop and spend $2.
I haven't seen these at my LBS... the counter guy checked their bag of junk and said he didn't have one either. Hence the hardware store approach as opposed to getting a new computer.

·
Squirrel Hunter
3,854 Posts
Hidden Magnet

Get a Cateye button magnet used for spokes. Put a small dab of silicone in your pedal axle and then put the magnet in their. Your magnet will be elegantly hidden but will work well if you reposition your cadence pickup. You can also use three of the rare earth magnets from Radio Shack stacked inside the spindle. This is the way Campagnolo has the cadence magnet set up for their ErgoBrain and it has a very clean and classy look.

·
Captain Obvious
11,956 Posts
rare earth magnets won't need any glue. those suckers are strong.

·
793 Posts
DPN said:
If he's got carbon or aluminum cranks he'll need glue!

DPN
Not if he's got steel pedal axels. Just put the magnet on the end of the pedal axel. A friend of mine does this on his mtb with no issues. Never lost a magnet.

·
Registered
3,270 Posts
Not if he finds the size that are about the same as a pedal spindle and he doesn't have Ti pedal spindles. I found these at my local hardware store in a pack of 5 for about $5. I have these on several of my bikes with wired cadence sensors and they work just fine. I tried it on a wireless sensor I just bought and it wouldn't work because it moved the sensor too far from the head unit.

·
Registered
4,838 Posts
TheMane said:
I recently lost my cadence magnet from my crank arm (ok, I didn't lose it, it was taken from me by a tree). Thinking I would be smart about it, I went down to the local hardware store and picked up a magnetic strip that seemed like the right width. I cut a piece off, strapped it to my crank and... nothing :(.

Is there a trick I'm missing? Specific kind/strength of magnet?

Thanks!

I bought a replacement cadence magnet at Performance Bike once. (I can't find it online).

I have a round magnet from a refrigerator magnent.. seems to work fine.. I'm going to glue one of them up.

You might have too much clearance. Does the magnet work when you rub it against the sensor?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.