Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'll be putting a new cassette on my CX bike in the next day or two and planned on replacing the chain at the same time. Just for the heck of it, I checked for chain stretch today (using the metal ruler method) and found there to be zero stretch as far I could tell (links were 12" apart on the money). This chain has been on this bike for about year, but as a CX bike, it doesn't see nearly the same amount of miles as my road bike. I'm also fairly meticulous about keeping my drivetrain clean and my chain lubed.

So if it where you, would you change out the chain anyway, or get more use out of it? I'd prefer not to replace it if I don't have to, but if I run a greater risk of wearing my new cassette down faster, I'll do it now.

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
Personally, I'd keep it. fer sure.

·
Registered
21,637 Posts
The test

jobster said:
I'll be putting a new cassette on my CX bike in the next day or two and planned on replacing the chain at the same time. Just for the heck of it, I checked for chain stretch today (using the metal ruler method) and found there to be zero stretch as far I could tell (links were 12" apart on the money). This chain has been on this bike for about year, but as a CX bike, it doesn't see nearly the same amount of miles as my road bike. I'm also fairly meticulous about keeping my drivetrain clean and my chain lubed.

So if it where you, would you change out the chain anyway, or get more use out of it? I'd prefer not to replace it if I don't have to, but if I run a greater risk of wearing my new cassette down faster, I'll do it now.
Put the new cassette on and then go for a test ride where you really stand on the pedals in all of the cogs. If the chain is worn (even though it measures well) it will skip in one or more of the cogs. If it doesn't skip, you're good to go. I'm betting that your chain is fine.

·
Registered
701 Posts
Kerry Irons said:
Put the new cassette on and then go for a test ride where you really stand on the pedals in all of the cogs. If the chain is worn (even though it measures well) it will skip in one or more of the cogs. If it doesn't skip, you're good to go. I'm betting that your chain is fine.
I agree.

·
eRacer
2,555 Posts
Kerry Irons said:
+1
I also agree.
Chain is probably fine.

john

·
Registered
614 Posts
Good to have a spare in CX though....would it not?

Also just a side note as I know nothing about CX, but would it be better to have a heavy/standard type chain or a hollowed out light weight? Reason fo thinking : Could the hollowed pin area of a chain fill with mud ect to make it not function well?

Stu

·
Beetpull DeLite
12,756 Posts
Even though CX (like mt biking) typically doesn't see the mileage of road biking, the dirt and grit really wear chains and gears out quickly.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts