Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have no wheel building experience at all, few weeks back my chain got caught between the spoke and cassette, bending 1 of my DA C50 spoke.

the distro and shimano hq in singapore dont have it and shipping that 1 spoke takes 3 MONTHS.

so i went to sjs cycles and bought it myself, took 2 weeks but it's finally here.

I figure it should be pretty straightforward? It's just 1 spoke, and it's a straight pull, i reckon it shouldn't be that complicated? Thread it in, tighten it to the same tension as the other spokes.

Will that work?

·
'brifter' is f'ing stupid
15,673 Posts
I have no wheel building experience at all, few weeks back my chain got caught between the spoke and cassette, bending 1 of my DA C50 spoke.

the distro and shimano hq in singapore dont have it and shipping that 1 spoke takes 3 MONTHS.

so i went to sjs cycles and bought it myself, took 2 weeks but it's finally here.

I figure it should be pretty straightforward? It's just 1 spoke, and it's a straight pull, i reckon it shouldn't be that complicated? Thread it in, tighten it to the same tension as the other spokes.

Will that work?
theoretically. good luck.

·
Lost in Space...
3,434 Posts
Best to have someone show you the first one... but then, with youtube, that's probably already covered? :)

·
Registered
224 Posts

Will that work?
sorry, i meant Contact Us | Soon Watt & Co.Soon Watt & Co.

482 Changi Road Singapore 419895
(Opposite Kembangan MRT)

·
Premium Member
3,494 Posts
Will that work?
Yes, assuming you get the tension right (try plucking it and comparing to others) and unless you damaged other spokes or the rim, the chances are that the wheel will be nice and true. Worked just fine for me with an older Dura Ace wheel. Make sure that you ordered (and that they shipped) the correct size spoke by comparison with the old one. Also you need to hold the spoke to prevent wind-up using the notch in the tool that Shimano provides with the wheelset. Also, the nipples are likely a custom size and you need to use the provided spoke wrench. You can also download instructions specific to the C50 wheel from the Shimano web-site.

If it doesn't come out true enough, take it to the store.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.