Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to replace my 700x32 Avocet Cross II and learned they aren't being made anymore and am looking for some recommendations. I commute almost 20 miles each way 3-4 times a week on a mixed bag of local roads with hills and like. With that distance, the combination of higher pressure tire (90-100 psi) and the bigger size has provided a great ride. Any suggestions would be welcome. Thanks!

·
monkey with flamethrower
821 Posts
The Panaracer T-serv is probably my favorite commuting tire and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend them to anyone. I also managed to get a Panaracers new Ribmo tire last month and that seems to work well as well. The Maxxis Overdrive is another tire that I liked enough to run it to the threads.
Don't skimp on commuting tires, especially if you commute a lot. The cheap tires seem to wear out fast and get lots of flats and often aren't that round.
These tires should all be available in a 32c or something close to 32.

·
Registered
5,844 Posts
Nashbar had Panaracer Pasela TGs with kevlar beads in that size on sale for something like $9 each the other day. They are nice tires and very durable. Worth checking to see if the sale is still and they have any more in stock.

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
RoadLoad said:
I also came across the Specialized Infinity line of tires. Does anyone have experience with them? There are a few reviews out there suggesting a mixed bag, but they are dated too.
I do. I've used them on my commuter for the last 2 winters. They're on the heavy side and aren't particularly smooth but they're very flat resistant and hook up fairly well on loose stuff. they wear well too. A good city tire. I prefer paselas though.

·
monkey with flamethrower
821 Posts
steel515 said:
what about schwalbe, continental? Panaracer I examined briefly appeared to be very thin
(higher possibility of puncture)
Most urban tires from all companies seem thinner than you might like, but puncture resistance doesn't necessarily need to come from super thick rubber.
Panaracer owns the urban tire market becuase they really do make some of the best urban tires and they focus heavily on that market. Conti's urban tires are good but they can be hard to come by. Schwalbe has had some quality issues with many of their tires as they move production around and their urban tires can be scarce at times in the US of A.

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
steel515 said:
see! I was right. michelin has new line of city tires too.
marathons are very nice tires, I've used them in the 26 inch size and might choose them for loaded use or mostly gravel/dirt if I were out of paselas. for unloaded paved use they're not as smooth, IMO FWIW YMMV.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I've taken a look at some of these tire online and I'm unclear on some of the weights I'm seeing. In some instances the weight is in the vacinity of 400g or less, in others its over 600g? In the latter instance, would that be for a pair or is there infact, that big a range in weights?

·
Have a nice day
5,878 Posts
My Pasela TGs are okay, but not great. Last year my front got a cut all the way through the kevlar band. To be fair, I am not very careful and just roll over everything in the bike lanes (glass, nails, etc.).

Also, the Pasela's are not very confidence inspiring in gravel. If you're switching from semi-knobby cross tires you will find the Pasela's performance pretty poor off-pavement (but probably better on-pavement). But again, this comes from taking my road bike on trails that are really better suited to mountain bikes.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.