Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I wanted to experiment anodizing my aluminum commuter frame. Since anodizing for aluminum melts steel, I had to drill out the steel inserts & remove them before anodizing. Wondering if anyone has any experience replacing these? They appear to be inserted into the frame & then drawn-up / squeezed from the inside using a special external puller tool (they look similar to aviation "rivnuts" which I used to install frequently). 1st, does anyone know where I can buy the inserts & second, what tools are required to install them? If I can't find anything, I may use aviation style threaded inserts which will probably work but are aluminum & much weaker. I can also buy the water bottle strap version

·
Registered
484 Posts
They are rivnuts like you suggested and there was a bicycle tool catalog I used to get that sold them and the rivet gun used to install them. I didn't see them on their site but they probly still have them check thethirdhand.com it will redirect you to thier new site and name. I would think most larger shops would have them or be able to get them pretty quick.

·
Banned
2,302 Posts
do you have pictures of your frame? I'd like to see how it turned out. It sounds like you did it yourself. I and am sure others would like to hear about this.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Friction_Shifter said:
do you have pictures of your frame? I'd like to see how it turned out. It sounds like you did it yourself. I and am sure others would like to hear about this.
Haven't gotten the frame back from Anodize yet. I'll let you know what I come up with when I get it back

1 - 6 of 6 Posts