Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently have a stock Fuji cross comp. I'm hoping to try my first cross race this fall. I've read a lot of reviews that said the first thing to replace on this bike is the wheels, especially if you want to race. A guy in my office is selling a set of wheels for $250, Shimano Dura Ace hubs and they are laced to Mavic CXP-30 rims, 28 hole. My current (stock) wheels are Alex DC-19, 32H double walled rims, Formula sealed road hubs. Is this a good deal or are they same?

thanks in advance.

·
Blah, Blah, Blah
618 Posts
I'll chime in the response that you're likely to see a bunch of times.
You can get a set of tubular wheels for the same price. Mavic rims and ultegra hubs will cost you in the range of $250, and that will be for brand new wheels. For around $200 you should be able to hit up ebay for a tubular set. I got some cane creek tubular wheels with titanium spokes for $150 about 2 months ago. Perfectly true and fairly light too.
Just my 2 cents........

·
p != b
2,303 Posts
ecidic said:
I currently have a stock Fuji cross comp. I'm hoping to try my first cross race this fall. I've read a lot of reviews that said the first thing to replace on this bike is the wheels, especially if you want to race. A guy in my office is selling a set of wheels for $250, Shimano Dura Ace hubs and they are laced to Mavic CXP-30 rims, 28 hole. My current (stock) wheels are Alex DC-19, 32H double walled rims, Formula sealed road hubs. Is this a good deal or are they same?

thanks in advance.
My Comparison:
* formula hubs vs dura-ace? DA hands down
* Mavic CXP30 vs Alex rim? mavic may be a little stronger

If they're nearly unused, $250 is pretty fair. Otherwise, I might try and talk him down a little.

Unless you know that you're going to get serious about racing, don't worry about trying to pick up a pair of tubies. Clinchers will serve you better atmo.

·
Blah, Blah, Blah
618 Posts
I'd still say go with Ultegra hubs on Mavic clincher rims if you don't want to go tubular.
Colorado Cyclist can get you a brand new wheelset for around $275. Brand new wheels, rotational weight will be less then the CXP 30 and you now that they have zero miles on them.
You could probably find a brand new wheelset for less with the same build. I've always had luck with CC wheels though.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.