Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering how one determines the resale value of a bike. I bought Conquest last year but after one season I've decided that I want something different. Paid $950 I think. It hardly has any chips and almost looks new. What's a reasonable price to ask for it? My hubby says $800 and that's too much IMO. Thanks!

·
Review RoadBike Member
1,561 Posts
800 is too much.... best to find a bike just like yours on closeout or online, and deduct 15% off of that price. that seems like a fair starting point.
for example i just bought a conquest, an '08, and got it for 675.00 brand new. I would find it hard to pay more than that used.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
me thinks your hubby is smoking the crack rock

would you pay 800 for a bike used that you could get new for 950?
of course not. Now if you find someone that doesn't do their homework, it's possible to find a buyer.

what is the build kit? If you paid full retail at 950, not knowing the exact bike i'd think you'd be lucky to get over 600
it's darn near impossible to prove you only rode it a bit, plus CX bikes are known for getting knocked around pretty hard. Hard use on a bike often doesn't show.

but this is one of the better times to sell a CX bike... the demand is ramping up. Good luck

·
More Cowbell!
4,832 Posts
Karyn said:
Just wondering how one determines the resale value of a bike. I bought Conquest last year but after one season I've decided that I want something different. Paid $950 I think. It hardly has any chips and almost looks new. What's a reasonable price to ask for it? My hubby says $800 and that's too much IMO. Thanks!
Troll craigslist and eBay for similar bikes and see what they sell for. There is a way to search completed auctions in eBay which I've found a great way to determine market value.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.