Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Resident Curmudgeon
11,980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I commute to work daily. It's a 32 mileround trip that includes a couple of short, but very steep hills. My criteria for riding are clear roads and temps of 20*F and up. The weather forcast today was good. It's been pretty cold here this week, and the temp when I left at 5:30AM was 22*F. had a nice, if leisurely ride to work. On the way there, it's all gradually uphill. I live on the shore of Lake Erie.

My room at work has no windows, and I tend to spend my entire day there, including lunch. I detest taking work home, and it means working nonstop during the day to avoid that. At 3:30 I changed into my tights, jersey, etc. & wheeled my bike to the door. When I got there, I found 7" of "partly cloudy" had fallen. All the roads, including the heavily traveled main roads, were snow & ice covered.

I had to slink back to my room, call my wife to rescue me. I rode home in the wifemobile trying to look incognito. :rolleyes:

·
C 1/5
609 Posts
The ultimate shame...having the wife come get you...;)

I remember riding one time and getting a flat. I say "...No problem, I have all my stuff to change my flats myself, I'll be done in no time..." And then the sick realization, I'm riding my fixed gear with bolt on wheels - no quick release here, and no 15mm wrench to take off the wheel.:(

I had to call my wife to come get me too, I didn't look incognito though with all my cycling garb loading my bike in the trunk feeling pretty dumb...

·
Registered
128 Posts
I am indeed a lucky man. Wife works at the same place I do, so there's not much of a scene if I have to hitch a ride home after work. I just leave the bike stashed in my office and slink out with her.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Ran into a similiar sit last year in DC

The only problem was that traffic was so snarled that there was no way the wife could pick me up. Was going to metro it, but the bus that showed up after I waited for 40 minutes was the one DC metro bus without a rack on the front.. (it was broken and in for repairs) So I headed out on the bike, fortunately I ride an MTB and I had cold but beautiful 7.5 mile ride home. It was cool to pass all the cars slowly making their way up the road and watch the stalled beltway traffic as I silently pedaled through the snow.

·
Premium Member
21,910 Posts
Just last week I had to rescue the wife.

Mr. Versatile said:
I had to slink back to my room, call my wife to rescue me. I rode home in the wifemobile trying to look incognito. :rolleyes:
She had a flat tire so I rode over and fixed it for her and we pedaled home together.

The only time she had to rescue me was when I got hit by a car that ran a red light-she picked me up at the emergency room.

·
Non non normal
10,100 Posts
It stinks having to call or ask for help.
I have been commuting a little by fixed gear and was hunting for a 15mm wrench to throw in the saddle bag when I discovered my topeak multi-tool has a 15mm wrench. I needed it the other evening when I flatted on the way home. It worked well. It was the first time I changed out the rear wheel that had track nuts. Following the advice I read on RBR the change was real quick.

·
Power Napper
2,853 Posts
Another reason to carry a small patch kit.

A couple years ago I was out for a ride with a newbie road rider who had a borrowed bike. It was a pretty old one. He flatted, no quick release and no wrench. I loosened the tire with the wheel still atteached, pulled out tube in the area I suspected the the hole was. Found it, patched it, tucked the tube back in, reseated the tire, pumped it up and we were on our way.

·
Premium Member
21,910 Posts
Very good point.

theBreeze said:

A couple years ago I was out for a ride with a newbie road rider who had a borrowed bike. It was a pretty old one. He flatted, no quick release and no wrench. I loosened the tire with the wheel still atteached, pulled out tube in the area I suspected the the hole was. Found it, patched it, tucked the tube back in, reseated the tire, pumped it up and we were on our way.
nmnmndm

·
Cheese is my copilot
3,876 Posts

·
C 1/5
609 Posts
theBreeze said:

Hey thats a great idea, thanks.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts