Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I am a student at University of Illinois at Chicago and I am working with a team in order to research and design a traffic detection device that adapts with the terrain as you ride. We have some questions that will help benefit us during this researching process and it starts with you. If you can take a few minutes to fill out this survey we would greatly appreciate it. Thank you very much!
Traffic Detection for Cyclists Using Computer Vision & Machine Learning

·
Registered
5,395 Posts
The questionaire doesn't really clarify what automatic weapon is to be installed on the bike to reduce uneasyness.

·
Russian Troll Farmer
3,426 Posts
Oh, joy, ANOTHER Johnny-come-lately wants to post a survey! Haven't we banned this yet? Seriously, buddy, nobody wants to take your flippin' survey. In fact, I'm going to go to it and post a bunch of BS answers, just to screw up the data....

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Take it if you want, don’t if you don’t. Why be snotty to the guy?
As for the survey, there is no mention of what you are looking build. I doubt that there is anything that could be built for a cyclist that would make them safer. What is needed IMO is traffic enforcement and punishment for drivers that are at fault in accidents and more sever punishment for hit and run driver.

·
Banned Sock Puppet
14,445 Posts
SPAM, SPAM, SPAM, SPAM..............green eggs and SPAM.

·
Registered
41 Posts
not sure why this board is so hostile to everyone.

Good luck getting the answers you need.

I think the rear facing radar could benefit riders as new electric cars can sneak up on riders. Keep it light weight and maybe helmet mounted. I think a simple 'sonar' like beeps as cars are coming up behind us.

·
gazing from the shadows
27,288 Posts
Same as it ever was.

I'm not hostile to such requests, but I have YET to see a SINGLE one that would be approved by my institutional review board... in terms of recruitment of subjects.

The lack of any sort of informed consent language, the lack of any contact information linked the institution it is supposedly run from, etc etc etc.

Bare minimum, they should have a UIC webpage for giving consent, with a named contact person for questions and a list of what the survey will be about and how the data will be used, which then takes you to the survey after you give consent.

·
Banned Sock Puppet
14,445 Posts
I generally give new posters the benefit of the doubt. But when someone's first post is such as the one above with a link, I am suspicious. Furthermore I never click on links from new posters. Do you really know what's behind that? We have had a rash of first time posts similar to this one. They rarely, if ever return.

Reactions: thatsmybush

·
Registered
68 Posts
I have YET to see a SINGLE one that would be approved by my institutional review board... in terms of recruitment of subjects.
The survey was more on the level of "what is your favorite color?" than "from which intelligence agency should the microchip we slip in with your vaccine originate?".

It is some undergrad doing a project. Take it easy.

·
gazing from the shadows
27,288 Posts
The survey was more on the level of "what is your favorite color?" than "from which intelligence agency should the microchip we slip in with your vaccine originate?".

It is some undergrad doing a project. Take it easy.
Protection of human subjects is not about the quality of the research, it is about protecting human subjects and making sure they give fully informed consent to participate.

Undergrads doing projects with human subjects fall under their university's IRB guidelines. I don't blame the students, I blame their professors who are not doing what they should.

Is this a big deal? In one way, no. But if I sent one email, I could throw the UIC into turmoil. The reason? An institution that KNOWINGLY allows projects that violate their IRB risks losing ALL federal research funding. So in that way, it is a big deal.

I won't be doing that. But if I had reason to believe anyone was put at risk by this research, I would. 100% I would.

·
Banned Sock Puppet
14,445 Posts
Undergrads doing projects with human subjects fall under their university's IRB guidelines. I don't blame the students, I blame their professors who are not doing what they should.
I somehow doubt that any professor would think putting surveys on blogs is a good idea. If I were a professor, I would probably flunk any student who thought this was a good way to get a good survey sample.

Note as I stated before that the OP never returned.

·
gazing from the shadows
27,288 Posts
I somehow doubt that any professor would think putting surveys on blogs is a good idea. If I were a professor, I would probably flunk any student who thought this was a good way to get a good survey sample.
Profs who don't do research under IRB rules (think engineering and many business profs who did market research on the outside before becoming a prof) can be pretty clueless about this stuff.

Bad samples can still have use, but they should never be used to make claims about the larger population. For example, you might alter a product design based on survey data, to avoid a problem some people see with it. Remember pitbull pedal? This place is a sample, but not representative of cyclists as a whole. Still, good feedback was generated (and ignored.) OTOH, just because almost no one here said they would be interested in the design, that does NOT mean there is no interest out there in such a design from all cyclists in total (the population of interest).

·
Registered
68 Posts
Having just finished six years of service on an NIH grant review panel, I do have a small inkling of what "protection of human subjects" actually means. The idea is that it is unethical to involve people in clinical trials or experiments without their explicit consent.

Asking people their opinion about something like the utility of a Garmin radar is not even close, and I suspect you are well aware of that.

Give me a break.

·
gazing from the shadows
27,288 Posts
Having just finished six years of service on an NIH grant review panel, I do have a small inkling of what "protection of human subjects" actually means. The idea is that it is unethical to involve people in clinical trials or experiments without their explicit consent.
So, the term "informed" isn't there in your post?

And there is a big difference between consent and informed consent. Informed consent is the standard. Which if you did what you claimed, you should be keyed in about.

FYI, here is what UIC says about informed consent:

• Basic Elements of Consent. The IRB verifies that the informed consent document contains the following basic elements of consent stipulated at 45 CFR 46.116(b) and/or 21 CFR 50.25(a):
    1. States that the study involves research;
    2. Explains the purposes of the research;
    3. States the expected duration of the subject’s participation;
    4. Describes the procedures to be followed and identifies any which are experimental;
    5. Describes reasonably foreseeable risks or discomforts to the subject;
    6. Describes any benefits to the subject or to others which may reasonably be expected from the research;
    7. Discloses appropriate alternative procedures or courses of treatment, if any, that might be advantageous to the subject;
    8. Describes the extent, if any, to which confidentiality of records identifying the subject will be maintained;
      1. The consent must note the possibility that the representatives of the IRB and/or UIC OPRS; representatives of the State and University responsible for ethical, regulatory, or financial oversight of research; and Government Regulatory Agencies, such as the Office for Human Research Protections (OHRP) may have access to the consent form and research records; and
      2. The consent must also indicate anyone else who may have access to the records, including, as applicable, the sponsor and funding agencies.
    9. For research involving more than minimal risk, explains whether any compensation and whether any medical treatments are available if any injury occurs and, if so, what they consist of, or where further information may be obtained. For more information, please refer to the UIC HSPP policies Sponsor Payment for Costs Related to Subject Injury in Industry Sponsored Clinical Trials and Additional Informed Consent Template Language.
      1. Explains whom to contact for answers to pertinent questions about the research and research subjects’ rights, and whom to contact in the event of a research related injury to the subject;
    10. States that participation is voluntary, refusal to participate will involve no penalty or loss of benefits to which the subject is otherwise entitled, and the subject may discontinue participation at any time without penalty or loss of benefits to which the subject is otherwise entitled; and
    11. One of the following statements about any research that involves the collection of identifiable private information or identifiable biospecimens:
      1. A statement that identifiers might be removed from the identifiable private information or identifiable biospecimens and that, after such removal, the information or biospecimens could be used for future research studies or distributed to another investigator for future research studies without additional informed consent from the subject or the legally authorized representative, if this might be a possibility; or
      2. A statement that the subject’s information or biospecimens collected as part of the research, even if identifiers are removed, will not be used or distributed for future research studies.
  • Additional Elements of Informed Consent. The IRB determines whether one or more of the following additional elements of informed consent [45 CFR 46.116(c) and/or 21 CFR 50.25(b)] must be provided to subjects:
    1. Statement that the particular treatment or procedure may involve risks to the subject (or to the embryo or fetus, if the subject is or may become pregnant) which are currently unforeseeable;
    2. Anticipated circumstances under which the subject’s participation may be terminated by the investigator without regard to the subject’s consent;
    3. Any additional costs to the subject that may result from participation in the research;
    4. Consequences of a subject’s decision to withdraw from the research and procedures for orderly termination of participation by the subject;
    5. Statement that significant new findings developed during the course of the research, which may relate to the subject’s willingness to continue participation, will be provided to the subject;
    6. Approximate number of subjects involved in the research;
    7. A statement that the subject’s biospecimens (even if identifiers are removed) may be used for commercial profit and whether the subject will or will not share in this commercial profit [45 CFR 46.116(c)(7)];
    8. A statement regarding whether clinically relevant research results, including individual research results, will be disclosed to subjects, and if so, under what conditions [45 CFR 46.116(c)(8)]; and/or
    9. For research involving biospecimens, whether the research will (if known) or might include whole genome sequencing (i.e., sequencing of a human germline or somatic specimen with the intent to generate the genome or exome sequence of that specimen) [45 CFR 46.116(c)(9)].
    10. For research meeting the definition of a clinical trial, the consent must include a statement that the results of the research will be posted on clinicaltrials.gov [21 CFR 50.25(c) and 42 CFR 11].

·
Registered
68 Posts
Why on earth would someone need informed consent to ask people what kind of Garmin Radar-like traffic detection system they would prefer?

You are tilting at windmills.

·
gazing from the shadows
27,288 Posts
Why on earth would someone need informed consent to ask people what kind of Garmin Radar-like traffic detection system they would prefer?
Because it is done under the authority of an institution that holds all research to IRB standards. I would think someone who claims to have done things at the NIH would understand that issue.

If you want to do anything on your own, do what ever you want. You, personally and independently, have no obligation to hold to any standards of research in doing so

BTW, you are going beyond the logical fallacy of argument from authority, Mr. 6 years at the NIH. You are now in the realm of cluelessness. You should know the answer to your own question.

Have a nice day.

·
Administrator
13,010 Posts
Moderators Note

I think its time to wrap this one up.

Reactions: Lombard
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.