Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've seen a few ads for these small devices you hold in your lips and breathe through, with adjustable resistance. You know, names like "The Breather" and "Expand-A-Lung." Look kind of like whistles. They claim that over time this strengthens the muscles used in breathing, increases lung capacity, etc etc. They sell for about $25. Has any one every tried one of these, or know if they might provide any benefit? It might be good to play around with while I'm driving to and from the office.

·
Registered
21,505 Posts
Not effective

These devices may have a role for people who have compromised pulmonary function, but none for normal folks. They get advertised on hype, not proven results.

·
gastarbeiter
1,513 Posts
i think they're called cigarettes, and cost anywhere between 5-7$ a pack depending on state taxes :)

·
Registered
11,561 Posts
bender said:
So I've seen a few ads for these small devices you hold in your lips and breathe through, with adjustable resistance. You know, names like "The Breather" and "Expand-A-Lung." Look kind of like whistles. They claim that over time this strengthens the muscles used in breathing, increases lung capacity, etc etc. They sell for about $25. Has any one every tried one of these, or know if they might provide any benefit? It might be good to play around with while I'm driving to and from the office.
I believe it's been shown that they do provide a training effect on the respiratory muscles, but it's not been shown that this leads to improved performance in endurance sport.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Breathe-right nasal strips

Dwayne Barry said:
I believe it's been shown that they do provide a training effect on the respiratory muscles, but it's not been shown that this leads to improved performance in endurance sport.
So, you mean those Breathe-Right Nasal Strips I see pasted to everybodies noses in the local Cat. 5 races don't really do anything? Gad-zooks, my Earth has been shaken to the core!

·
No Crybabies
11,684 Posts
shut up

bender said:
Try just closing your mouth and breathing through your nose. Or stick a soda straw in your mouth and breathe through that. Why pay $25 for something like that? Did you buy a pet rock?

·
Registered
4,808 Posts
bender said:

I thought I just saw something the other day about this.

I read a book that suggested using balloons. I think some old blonde actress had
a infomercial about breathing right for health. I think there is some appilication for it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts