Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Master debator.
8,777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last night we lost our senior shepherd Opa to bloat. I had been on a whirlwind work trip Wednesday through Friday stuffing a week's work into 3 days. I came home and he had just started feeling ill, but by last night we decided to do the right thing.

The wife being a vet and having her own clinic, we took him in and she did it herself while I helped. I can't imagine putting my own pet to sleep, but she did it after seeing that his stomach had twisted and there was nothing to be done but end the suffering. He was over 16 years old, they don't often make it that far, so we feel blessed that we got 7 years out him after we adopted him from the rescue. He was getting very wobbly and tired, but his spirit was strong and that makes it that much harder. Before I left I took him and the other dogs on a hike, and snapped one of the best pictures I have of the old guy.

We'll miss him terribly, he was such a great dog!

Attachments

·
Registered
7,147 Posts
sorry for your loss. All parties got a bonus 9 years of enjoyment and love, if that is any consolation. Great looking dog.

·
Registered
675 Posts
Very sorry for you all. Losing a member of the family is always a very tough thing. That's a great picture of him.

·
Registered
5,488 Posts
Sorry to hear that nOOky. Losing a member of the family is hard no matter what species that family member happens to be.

·
Registered
463 Posts
That is a full life for a bigger dog like him. I imagine he had a wonderful 2nd half of life with you and your wife, my condolences.

·
Master debator.
8,777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
lol no problem, when we named him we learned that Opa is grandpa in German, Oma is grandma.

·
Non non normal
10,100 Posts
Sorry about your dog. 16 is a really old age for a german shepherd.

·
Misfit Toy
23,428 Posts
Rest well sweet Opa.

·
Registered
89 Posts
So sorry for your loss, Sounds like Opa had a great long life. The cherished moments and memories will eventually fill that void that's probably in your heart right now.

·
Boobies!
8,172 Posts
sorry for your loss, nooky. Great shot of him in the weeds...

(Your wife is braver than me--I couldn't have done that with our Coco at Christmas...)

·
Frog Whisperer
40,923 Posts
Sorry to hear n00kie, funny how we know our "imaginary" friends pets as well as we know them and remember stories about them from years ago. Lace is getting up there too....

RIP Opa!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts