Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello RBR,

This is Dwight from the Evolution Cycling Club. I am here to report some awesome racing this week in Reston, VA during the (Monsoon) :cryin: like weather on sunday. The day started with Evolution cycling members finishing the setup of the course with metal fences, tape, cones, and directions at 6am. We managed to get everything setup and ready to go by the time the first race (juniors) was set off to start at 8am. However, Lightning was sighted and they started 30 minutes later. That time was made up later during the transition periods.

I seriously felt sorry for all the young kids having to be the first group to tackle the heavy rains and streams that were forming across the course. Nonetheless the kids were probably the safest of all the riders this weekend. Course marshalls bravely took watch over the course during the 8am-6pm running time.

When it became time to start my race, I was actually quite happy to get it going after all the setup work we had done to get the race going. All in all I had a good Category 5 race and finished in 20th place. One of these days I will be able to stay up with those boys. :( Fortunately, if you are able to stay with the lead pack of the category 5s you are mostly in the pack for the 4s as well.

Everybody was having a good time except for the numerous crashes that happened randomly. A lady crashed in the womens open race and a few more gentlemen in the masters level race. The worse race of all will not come as a surprise. The Cat 4 race was full of wrecks and mostly in just one corner. Good ole turn 5. When the road is dry its a great fast corner but when wet the oil slick comes up and people start sliding around like first time ice skaters. I personally watched and helped some individuals on that corner. I counted 7 individuals falling there and I know I saw two bikers walking away from the area with bloody knees before I even got there on the 3rd lap!!! Unfortunately, two of the individuals were on my team and I was pained to see them suffer in a race they should have dominated for the home team.

The pro's managed to only have to deal with drying surfaces from rainfall slowing down toward the end of the day. If only the other riders were so lucky. The race turned out to be a great event and many spectators/shoppers stopped and watched the cyclists ride through heavy amounts of rain while they sipped on their tea and ate their ben and jerry's ice cream.

On the lighter side of things, I was just approved as a Category 4 road racer. Now I have the privilege of moving away from newbies and people who like to beat newbies to death to a more aggressive group who is full of young inspiring riders and people who like to torture them with a 60 minute HAMMERFEST!!!!! :mad2: Either way, I am going to be in some serious pain so might as well make my money worth it. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
4,838 Posts
Was the Cat 5 race - which had a wait list of 30+ people, full with 50 riders in the rain?

What about Cat 4? 100 riders full?

How much did you suffer? Did you hang on till the last lap? Was the pace slow and generally easy to keep the bikes upright? Or was the pace being pushed hard?

Legend911 said:
Hello RBR,

This is Dwight from the Evolution Cycling Club. I am here to report some awesome racing this week in Reston, VA during the (Monsoon) :cryin: like weather on sunday. The day started with Evolution cycling members finishing the setup of the course with metal fences, tape, cones, and directions at 6am. We managed to get everything setup and ready to go by the time the first race (juniors) was set off to start at 8am. However, Lightning was sighted and they started 30 minutes later. That time was made up later during the transition periods.

I seriously felt sorry for all the young kids having to be the first group to tackle the heavy rains and streams that were forming across the course. Nonetheless the kids were probably the safest of all the riders this weekend. Course marshalls bravely took watch over the course during the 8am-6pm running time.

When it became time to start my race, I was actually quite happy to get it going after all the setup work we had done to get the race going. All in all I had a good Category 5 race and finished in 20th place. One of these days I will be able to stay up with those boys. :( Fortunately, if you are able to stay with the lead pack of the category 5s you are mostly in the pack for the 4s as well.

Everybody was having a good time except for the numerous crashes that happened randomly. A lady crashed in the womens open race and a few more gentlemen in the masters level race. The worse race of all will not come as a surprise. The Cat 4 race was full of wrecks and mostly in just one corner. Good ole turn 5. When the road is dry its a great fast corner but when wet the oil slick comes up and people start sliding around like first time ice skaters. I personally watched and helped some individuals on that corner. I counted 7 individuals falling there and I know I saw two bikers walking away from the area with bloody knees before I even got there on the 3rd lap!!! Unfortunately, two of the individuals were on my team and I was pained to see them suffer in a race they should have dominated for the home team.

The pro's managed to only have to deal with drying surfaces from rainfall slowing down toward the end of the day. If only the other riders were so lucky. The race turned out to be a great event and many spectators/shoppers stopped and watched the cyclists ride through heavy amounts of rain while they sipped on their tea and ate their ben and jerry's ice cream.

On the lighter side of things, I was just approved as a Category 4 road racer. Now I have the privilege of moving away from newbies and people who like to beat newbies to death to a more aggressive group who is full of young inspiring riders and people who like to torture them with a 60 minute HAMMERFEST!!!!! :mad2: Either way, I am going to be in some serious pain so might as well make my money worth it. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ah yes, none of the races were full. I sure anybody would have figured that out but the Cat 5 race had 30 people in it and the Cat 4 race had about 40-50 people. The Cat 4 race was pretty strung out as well as the Cat 5. The first 5 laps I found myself in a second group of 6-15 and then after lap 10 I found myself with 2 other riders just trying to keep from getting lapped because we were not taking any chances in the rivers they called turns. I basically spent all my power early braking early and then hammering up the long steady hills to keep pace.

I felt like I was going a pretty even pace the whole time. Everytime I wanted to pick it up my brain said no way dude it is way to dangerous (you already fell in the parking lot). Every race I have gone too the pace is always pushed by those 5-10 individuals who just don't need to be riding cat 5 or just can't seem to get enough starts to upgrade. :idea: I was content with my finish nonetheless and I met some cool dudes from VT and UVA that were crazy enough to race as well. Best thing was they allowed me to finish the race after being lapped so that was cool. At least I got my money's worth. Since I am Cat. 4 now I believe the pain will never grow or deplete. I will still last as long as I usually do because their pace isn't any different it just lasts a bit longer. :mad2:

·
Registered
17 Posts
Reston

Legend,

Thanks for all the work you guys did to put on that race. You guys did a great job especially considering the conditions. I did the Cat 3/4 and Cat 4 races. Both were treacherous, the emergency personnel down in turn 5 stayed busy from what I saw. That was my first time doing that race. Hopefully, I will get to do it again when it's dry.

·
Registered
4,838 Posts
ss_ridgerunner said:
Legend,

Thanks for all the work you guys did to put on that race. You guys did a great job especially considering the conditions. I did the Cat 3/4 and Cat 4 races. Both were treacherous, the emergency personnel down in turn 5 stayed busy from what I saw. That was my first time doing that race. Hopefully, I will get to do it again when it's dry.
Even when it is dry - emergency personnel are still busy in turn 5. :(

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Reston

Yes, Turn 5 is a very high speed corner if you take it right and don't get cut off by somebody else. Yeah a couple broken bikes and dislocated shoulders and a nice pool of blood was left there on sunday. :eek:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.