Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
BICYCLE: No external identification, stickers, and/or badges.

My father gave me this bike that he had received from his next door neighbor of which came to this country in the 60’s from Sicily.

Frame: F4 56 (Stamped on the bottom of the BB), 94855 Stamped under left side of seat stay.

*Note - During restoration I discovered 2 rivet holes in front of head tube under original paint that have been filled in. Vertically spaced 1” – 9/10ths inches from center to center.

Forks: F4 56 (Stamped 4 in. below threads)
*Note - Faint hand/or ink stamped letters on reverse say “frejus”

HS: Unknown – 26 loose bearings top cup & 26 bearings bottom cup.

Neck: Ambrosio

Bars: Ambrosio

Brake: Universal Mod. 61 – Complete Setup

Sadle: Wrights – W3 N

Clamp: Unknown – Has 9 (nine) raised “ooooooooo” around the front band.

BB: Sugino

Crank: Stronglight 93 – 170 Arms w/14 x 1.25 Thread

Ring: Stronglight – 48t *Yes; only one, has room for another!

Rims: Super Champion – Bright Red Oval decal w/dark green letters
*Unknown Size, Presta size valve holes

Tires: The only tires I could find that fit; a bit loose, Bontranger Select 27” x 1 1/8”

Hubs: Mavic – 36 holes

Shifter: Down tube Clamp-on Suntour Power

Rear Derailleur: Campagnolo Grand Turismo

Any additional help would be thankful, I have spent about a month on the net looking at a million other frames. The only one that comes close is a 60’s era FREJUS. I want to restore this correctly w/as much detail as I can gather. There aren’t many good detailed links and or pictures on my specific bike.

Thank you,

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Dave, I have been there; however there is a large gap in the SN's, and the only pictures are either from the 50's and then skips to the 70's. I'll take some detailed pics ASAP in hopes of finding the correct year (thinking 63-65) and if it had a badge or decal (frame holes would indicate to me that it should have a badge, however if it was a NOS (older) frame that was'nt used till a later date it would have a decal, and that would pose the question of which decal?

tks..

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Bro! You know, I had previously emailed the same info to a couple of sites and the worst reply was from:

www.Sheldon* - Reply - "Dont understand the question" , "Can't help"

*Note: I even asked if detailed pictures would help - Reply - "I don't think so, still don't understand your question"

Was I looking at a translated page, (i.e. the guy can't read English) if so then thats my mistake, I thought that the info I provided for this "Unknown" bike was at best 1/2 decent.

I have come to the assumption that either I have a classic bike worth restoring, or an unknown peice of sh*!. All this negativity will not stop me from my goal. I just can't beleive, w/a SN of 94855 that there is so little information on this ride. I love the tight feel, 0 -db road noise, verry smothe.

Hell, a 1990's Huffy has more detailed info on the net, What's up w/that?

Any way, thanks for your prompt replies and info!
**If anything new comes up pls. advise, tks.

·
Registered
5,196 Posts
Frejus

What came up when you searched that name? I am sort of getting the feeling you have a garden variety bike on your hands, the mish mash of parts (Campy RD with a mix of japanese parts). Frejus would be where I would be concentrating my search. Sicily is kinda far off the beaten path, finding a 60's era bike with those parts on it makes me think alot of parts were replaced. Restoring to original would be tough, especially when you don't know what was on the bike to begin with.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
When I searched the net for the "Frejus" I get about a page or more of traveling to Frejus, Italy. When adding the words Vintage or Classic plus Bicycles - Bingo!, one link led me to this site, the others are links to older 50's era. I have found some pics off the net of early 60's and the frames look to be the best match for mine.

I too beleive the mixed parts are replacements for the originals, and thats why I need to find a pic or even some kind of vintage Frejus catalog of the 60's - 70's bikes. I know I've got my work cut out for me, and thank you for your reply.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
I did find this one:

http://www.velo-retro.com/list.html

There's a 60's Frejus catalog listed. I remember seeing some Frejus bikes in the 70's. They were never a high end bike based on memory. Sorta entry level racing bike for the era. Cottered cranks etc.

I'm thinking that Frejus was French also, not Italian but that could be wrong. There's another site that I'm looking for now that has a BUNCH of catalogs with pictures of all the pages. Not a pay site. I'll post once I find it.

Found it. http://bulgier.net/pics/bike/Catalogs/

Unfortunately, no Frejus catalogs. Just about everything else though!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yah, I have read into the history of the company a bit, it is Italian, merged w/ Legano then was bought by Bianchi. About the Frejus bikes from the 70's, your absolutly rite; however the pre 70's are supposed to be pretty good and becoming quite rare, as I'm finding out for my self.
My SN falls between 1959 and 1965 and there just happens to be no pics in that gap time.

If infact it is 60's bike what Campy gear (xcluding the Universal Mod. 61 break setup) should I be looking for?

Tks..

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Campy only

Regarding the Campy for the period, visit http://www.campyonly.com. Great site for those that bow at the alter of Campagnolo:) There are a bunch of retro bikes in the retro gallery. Most are later than yours however. You may search for old race pictures from the era.

My memory says that Campy Record started around 1965 (again, check the timeline on campyonly) if you want the top of the line parts for the era. Finding period correct parts will be extremely expensive based on what some of these have fetched on ebay lately ($3000 for a rear derailleur for example).

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.