Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

· Coffee Lover
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Watching the TdF today with my wife and daughter and saw the riders pick up lunch bags mid-ride. Of course it prompted the question, "What do they do when they have to go to the restroom?" I didn't have an answer.

· Man, I'm Awesome
2,203 Posts
There are a few ways in which a rider can take a "Nature Break" as Phil Ligget would call it.

1. The rider can ride the the front of the peloton and let everyone know they are going to take a break, they sprint 30 seconds or so ahead and then just jump off on the side of the road and take a break. Hopefully the peloton has not already raced by and they can get back on without too much effort.

2. Sometimes during a race a train may be blocking the road. The riders will have to wait. It is quite comical during these instances as 180 riders just drop their bikes and start going on the side of the road, fans or no.

3. They just go on the bike. At 3:08 of the movie attached you see a couple of riders holding one riders bike. The third rider has whipped it out and is just going.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iSm6m61QbGs&feature=related

For obvious reasons whenever a camera picks these scenes up they either cut to commercial (in the case of a train stoppage) or they cut to another camera view. Sometimes Ligget gets all excited when someone goes off the front thinking it might be a breakaway, then the rider just stops and starts going. Ligget then goes "Oh, well, just another nature break." Its pretty funny.

Brian

· Misplaced priorities?
354 Posts
Dart said:
Watching the TdF today with my wife and daughter and saw the riders pick up lunch bags mid-ride. Of course it prompted the question, "What do they do when they have to go to the restroom?" I didn't have an answer.
What the others have said. Plus, there's a gentlemen's agreement where riders will not attack the main field if they decide to pull over to relieve themselves. The same thing applies to the feed zone.

· Registered
137 Posts
Ya know how Gatorade has those motorcycles that pull up with water bottles and allow the riders to take one? A company like Depends should have motorcycles that pull up with a mobile restroom that would allow them to drain the main vein without getting off the bike.

· Misplaced priorities?
354 Posts
Jason1500 said:
What if that have to do number 2? Has anyone ever done that while riding?
Well, a lot of guys can probably hold it if we're not talking about the "Hershey Squirts." Otherwise, they have little choice but to soil their chamoises. Elite runners crap themselves. It's either that or miss out on a win and a huge payday.

I've heard Bobke's story (from Bobke II, I believe). It's quite hilarious!

· ab aeterno
3,395 Posts
Run1stBike2nd said:
Well, a lot of guys can probably hold it if we're not talking about the "Hershey Squirts." Otherwise, they have little choice but to soil their chamoises. Elite runners crap themselves. It's either that or miss out on a win and a huge payday.

I've heard Bobke's story (from Bobke II, I believe). It's quite hilarious!
Although for elite runners it's never on purpose.

· A wheelist
11,689 Posts
Dart said:
Riders can be seen on TV every day pulling over to the side of the road for a "Break Naturelle" during quiet times of the race. The yellow jersey Kirchen pulled over today.

· Two scoops of inertia.
530 Posts
epiphany:until now i didn't understand why i saw a rider on a TdF stage ride out in front of the peloton, sweep to the other side of the road and stop.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.