Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Resuming Training after Injury

Hi all, this is my first post on RBR. Glad to be here.

I recently took one month off of my bike to recover from sciatica in my left leg. My bout of sciatica was from Jan 15 to Feb 15. Thankfully, through stretching and strengthening I have been riding pain free for the last 2 weeks. I’m kind of discouraged at the level of fitness I have after being off for 4 weeks. I had put on some decent base miles in Dec and early Jan and had begun to start on some threshold intervals before my sciatica hit. The last few workouts I did before the injury were 2 or 3 intervals of 20 minutes each @ 245W w/ 5 minutes recovery.

My early season A race was an uphill 20k TT in mid May. My goal was to do this TT at around 300W, but not sure how I’m going to get there now. I’m 30, 160lb and have been riding for 15 years. MAP in 2005 was 285W for 1 hour.

Should I take a step back and do a few weeks of base work before continuing with higher intensity workouts?
Can I work on some tempo riding that is at an intensity between base and threshold

I guess I’m looking for the quickest way to get back on track for my TT in lat May. I feel like I don’t have enough time to do another few weeks of base, (do I need to??), but at the same time I feel like I have lost a considerable amount of fitness during those 4 weeks.

Thanks!!

1 - 1 of 1 Posts