Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
11,089 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well, I've had some kind of job since about age 7 (paper route, mowing yards, etc). have worked as a draftsman, camping tour guide for Europeans, firewatch lookout, contract scuba diver, house-flipper, geotechnical lab mgr, chemical lab mgr, hazardous waste site investigator, environmental scientist, human health risk assessor, mold assessor, and a regulatory compliance officer...

as of today, I'm now unemployed.

as I mentioned in some other threads, I was struck while riding by a hit/run driver last week and am nursing a broken clavicle and a couple square feet of road rash.

so, instead of riding, swimming, diving, traveling, working on the house, or putzing in the yard, I'm kind of a glorified couch potato.

looks like the initial phase of retirement is going to consist of doctor visits, trading emails with lawyers and insurance types, and scheduling lunch with various people.

not really how I envisioned the whole 'life of leisure' thing...

·
Registered
15,615 Posts
At least you're keeping busy :p How are the pain meds?

With the takeover of this company, seems like a lot of people are taking their disability. Not getting hit by cars, but scheduling surgeries that require many weeks of recovery.

The woman on the other side of the wall is ready for retirement, but not so ready that she'll actually retire. She was out recovering from something for quite some time, and is now back to doing all her personal business at her desk. This includes reminding people on the phone how she didn't even take ALL the disability to which she's entitled. :skep:

There was a thread about the "workcation" concept; wondering about the "retired employee" concept.......

·
Registered
525 Posts
Aside from injuries, congrats on the retirement. A the end of September, I will have been retired 1 year. I'm thinking of some sort of celebration for the anniversary.

My last employer call me back for a few days of consulting, which I did, but I do not miss work.

Heal quickly. Enjoy your retirement

·
Registered
661 Posts
Welcome to the club(s) I was in my second year of retirement when I joined the second club. Fortunately my driver stuck around. I reluctantly became a professional patient. Listen to your MD's. Keep all of your bills and receipts. Heal well.

·
Non non normal
10,102 Posts
Congrats on the retirement. Heal quick!! I have been retired since April 30th. We had a holiday a while back and the next Monday felt exactly the same. That is right!!! Every day is a holiday, so enjoy them.

·
すし + Sweet Potato Kugel
5,846 Posts
...snip

not really how I envisioned the whole 'life of leisure' thing...

I guess the hardest part of getting old is recognising the corners we have to work around carefully without being pinned. It's all about being careful.

And helping. Others too.

Happy thoughts.

·
Registered
514 Posts
You don't need to stay off your bike very long. When I broke my clavicle I was back on the bike within two weeks, my broken ribs were much more painful than the broken clavicle. Tyler Hamilton broke his on the first day of The Tour de France. He went on to finish 4th. My break was much worse than his and I eventually had to have a titanium piece screwed to my clavicle to make it heal properly.

·
Boobies!
8,172 Posts
Sorry to hear about the accident, but congrats on entering 'Stage 3'!

·
Eddy 53:11
3,165 Posts
Must be very strange. You've spent yer whole life anticipating this time. Take a deep breath, look around.

Enjoy!

·
Matnlely Dregaend
4,937 Posts
looks like the initial phase of retirement is going to consist of doctor visits, trading emails with lawyers and insurance types, and scheduling lunch with various people.
That's pretty much ALL phases of retirement! :D

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
Congrats.
Hope to join you in only 15 years. :yikes:

·
Banned forever.....or not
24,427 Posts
22 months in and I ain't been kilt yet.

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
You don't need to stay off your bike very long. When I broke my clavicle I was back on the bike within two weeks, my broken ribs were much more painful than the broken clavicle. Tyler Hamilton broke his on the first day of The Tour de France. He went on to finish 4th. My break was much worse than his and I eventually had to have a titanium piece screwed to my clavicle to make it heal properly.
This post is a little disconcerting. It sounds like you got back on your bike two weeks after a break (bones take ~4 weeks to heal), then had problems down the road and ended up needing surgery and fixation?

I'm not sure I would recommend this approach.

Take the extra two weeks (or however long it takes) to heal properly before putting stress on the broken shoulder.

·
Registered
11,089 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
my break is a hairline and two torn ligaments (AC and CC).

doc says that assuming that I don't exacerbate the problem by doing something stupid (like riding), no surgery will be needed, but 3 weeks of immobilization to let things heal.

then 8-12 weeks of rehab...

·
δanned
7,005 Posts
my break is a hairline and two torn ligaments (AC and CC).

doc says that assuming that I don't exacerbate the problem by doing something stupid (like riding), no surgery will be needed, but 3 weeks of immobilization to let things heal.

then 8-12 weeks of rehab...
What did Saul say after you called him?

·
Proud luddite
7,236 Posts
Congrats!

I knew a guy who had planned to do all sorts of carpentry projects when he retired. He bought all sorts of equipment and supplies, set it all up in his garage, was all excited about it. On the first day of retirement he got the table saw going and promptly sawed off 4 fingers on his right hand. They couldn't be reattached.

My advice: don't do THAT! :)

·
Registered
15,615 Posts
Congrats!

I knew a guy who had planned to do all sorts of carpentry projects when he retired. He bought all sorts of equipment and supplies, set it all up in his garage, was all excited about it. On the first day of retirement he got the table saw going and promptly sawed off 4 fingers on his right hand. They couldn't be reattached.

My advice: don't do THAT! :)
Oh man. I hope he kept the receipts?? :(

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.