Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Cipo's long lost cousin
975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
It seems like Trek 560's are pretty common here. I thought I would post up some picts of my recent Trek purchase. This bike was bought at a garage sale last weekend. The white vinyl bartape was loosely hanging around the hoods and the tires were dry rotted. I got back in the car and Mrs. Steve-O could see the longing look in my eyes. She said if I could talk him down from $20 to $15 then the bike was mine. It came home last Saturday.

The bike is in excellent condition for almost 20 years. The bar tape wrapped into place and the wheels straightened out with a little time on the truing stand. I put on some worn tires and an old Flite saddle and rode her to work the last few days. The drivetrain is the original Shimano 105 grouppo (first year on the market for 105).

1) The complete bike

2) The investment cast headtube. No individual lugs here... Trek cast the complete headtube with lugs and all! The white brake housing hasn't even cracked as this bike was stored inside and saw little use.

975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Continued - Drivetrain

3) Original chain, crank and Biopace chainrings. I just cleaned them up and put on a little ProLink. Supposedly these egg shaped rings are a little funny to pedal but my legs haven't noticed the difference.

4) Rear derailleur still works well. Note that the cable passed through the chainstay and out the rear lugged dropout where the housing emerges.

975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Continued - Frame

5) The downtube (sorry about the flash) with the Trek logo. The frame uses Reynolds 531 tubing (or at least the main tubes; unsure about the stays).

6) Trek's familar cluster with the clamping bolt integrated into the seatstays. Their name is all over this thing..

975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The specs

Many thanks to Vintage-Trek.com for their website which allowed me to do a little research on the bike after the fact. Here's the original specs on the bike.

Unfortunately the bike is a little short in the top tube for me. I've got more then a "fist width" of seatpost showing and the quill stem is about as high as it can safely go. The retro handlebars feel kind of narrow and strange. I'm trying to decide what to do with the bike... But in the meantime I thought you'd enjoy the picts of my recent garage sale find.

Steve-O (always on the lookout!)

· Registered
1,541 Posts
That's a nice find...

Thanks for the info regarding fork-tire clearance on the bike. I may try a different wheel/tire combo and see if it has better clearance.

I've had my 560 for 4 years or so. It also came with the original shimano 105 biopace drivetrain, but it had more wear than yours does. Yours looks to be in really great shape given the bike's age. I've really enjoyed my 560 as my beater bike and decided that it's earned fresh parts. Since I moved to Portland, I've ridden it less because the gearing wasn't so useful on the hills so i gave up on its retro simplicity and slapped on an Ultegra/105 STI triple with 9 speed rear rolling a Mavic Cosmos wheelset. (Blasphemy on this board!)

I really like this frame. It does not have the glamour and lust factor associated with the Italian and Belgian steel bikes, but it does what its intended to do quite well. The steering is very responsive (it was afterall built in the 80s as an entry level racer) and the frame is very comfortable. I don't get the crisp, rocket acceleration I get with my aluminum bike, but its buttery smooth over the rough roads. It's slightly springy on very rough roads.

You are correct about the tight/narrow retro bars. I put on 44cm bar so i could breathe.
I think you got a great deal for $15! Enjoy!

· "Cypress Gardens" Fl.
686 Posts
Real nice bike, "Steve O".........

I'm surprised it was in such good shape. The "531" tubes indicate a quality bike, and the fact you paid just $15 bucks for it really "pisses" me off. :D

My old six speed "Fuji" had bio-pace and I put 1600 miles on it in 6 months. Never noticed anything different when riding it, it just looked odd.

· Registered
326 Posts
Yeah, the old Treks are great. I have a 700 (Same as a 730 but built up from the frame, less logos. Race geometry). I love the way it rides. It's a little big, but now that I'm 6'2'' 61cm doesn't feel too bad anymore, when I was riding it at 5'10" I felt like I was on top of a tower of steel lol.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.