Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

· "It's alive!"
1,454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Today is Bike to Work Day in many California counties. This got me thinking. How many of you fine folks commute on your retro-classics? How many use them for club rides? How many keep them as trailer queens? How many have at least one retro-classic for each of the above categories? For what other purposes do people use their retro-classics? I'm just trying to get a sense of whether most of us use our retro-classics for practical purposes or more for show pieces/collector's items.

Answering my own question:

1. 1976 Keith Lippy road bike. Generally, I use this for weekend-warrior type road rides and some recreational club rides. If my legs and lungs could keep up with the racer-crowd, I am fairly sure the Keith Lippy could keep up with all those bikes made of plastic and unobtanium, which is to say, "It ain't the bike that's slowing me down..."

2. 198? "Bridgestone Kabuki." I am setting this one up with upright bars (actually, upside down moustache bars), front and rear racks, and collapsable wald steel baskets in back. Also included will be a springy Brooks B-72 saddle, rubber block pedals, a basket in front (probably wicker) and a kickstand. I am trying to make fenders fit, and I should have solved that problem by the next So Cal rainfall in 6 months or so. I will use this bike as a grocery getter/kid hauler (with trailer in back).

Anyone else want to chime in?

Yours,

FBB

G

·
I rode my De Rosa Molteni Team to work the other day. Super Record 6 speed. Great ride but the chances of scraping the still pristine paint while hauling it up and day the stairs at work are too great. It will stay home on work days.

I rode my mid '60's Claud Butler a couple of times last month.

My early '70's Geoffrey Butler ( restored and repainted last summer) has gone to work quite a few times this year.

The Miyata 1000 single speed gets use when I have to drop the car at the shop or something ( where I will pick the car up later and not have to face going up the last hill on the singlespeed).

· Registered
186 Posts
My basic commuter is:

a Sterling Sportlight I got about ten years ago, used, at a lbs. Not exactly a classic but perfect as a fixie commuter that gets pounded in the snow, rain and whatever else DC has to offer. Occasionally, I commute on a Schwinn World Voyageur that is my long-distsnce tourer (also fixed). This, I think, does qualify as a classic...33 yrs old and still rides like a dream
peace, y'all

· "It's alive!"
1,454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Djudd said:
a Sterling Sportlight I got about ten years ago, used, at a lbs. Not exactly a classic but perfect as a fixie commuter that gets pounded in the snow, rain and whatever else DC has to offer. Occasionally, I commute on a Schwinn World Voyageur that is my long-distsnce tourer (also fixed). This, I think, does qualify as a classic...33 yrs old and still rides like a dream
peace, y'all
Got pics? Some folks like to see the shiny new bikes. I like to see the ones that get ridden hard and put away wet. That way, I can see what works in the real world.

Thanks,

FBB

· Registered
186 Posts
fbagatelleblack said:
Got pics? Some folks like to see the shiny new bikes. I like to see the ones that get ridden hard and put away wet. That way, I can see what works in the real world.

Thanks,

FBB
yes sir... my son is helping me with this digital camera downloading bit..pics soon to come...By the way, my friend, have you ridden the Allis Loop? I ask because I remember you saying John Allis was your college cycling coach (Harvard, I assume as that was the only school, I know of, he coached) and the Allis Loop was part of the training route.
peace again

· "It's alive!"
1,454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Djudd said:
By the way, my friend, have you ridden the Allis Loop?
... So many times that I STILL remember every hill, every turn, every "town line prime" along the whole route, even though the last time I rode it was in 1987 or 1988.

It's a great ride.

Why do you ask?

- FBB

· Registered
186 Posts
I'm going to ride it with some old riding buddies...

fbagatelleblack said:
... So many times that I STILL remember every hill, every turn, every "town line prime" along the whole route, even though the last time I rode it was in 1987 or 1988.

It's a great ride.

Why do you ask?

- FBB
We were the bike nerds in high school in the 70's...we rode to school everyday on our below top-of-the-line Italian steeds...we all read about John Allis and the self-made training route that he rode twice a day in some strange gear. I never made the, shall we call it, pilgrimage, to ride it. Though two of my partners did. Through the wonders of e-mail we have reunited over the past two years and all of us have kept the passion for cycling and we decided this was the perfect way to reconnect. One guy is coming from Paris another from Eugene, Ore. I wrote you about John Allis before and you suggested I stop in at the Belmont bike store and say hi to him. We are going to do that. It should be great fun, four not so fat, old cats on their bikes, grinning. I love bikes, I love riding them
peace

· "It's alive!"
1,454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Djudd said:
We were the bike nerds in high school in the 70's...we rode to school everyday on our below top-of-the-line Italian steeds...we all read about John Allis and the self-made training route that he rode twice a day in some strange gear. I never made the, shall we call it, pilgrimage, to ride it. Though two of my partners did. Through the wonders of e-mail we have reunited over the past two years and all of us have kept the passion for cycling and we decided this was the perfect way to reconnect. One guy is coming from Paris another from Eugene, Ore. I wrote you about John Allis before and you suggested I stop in at the Belmont bike store and say hi to him. We are going to do that. It should be great fun, four not so fat, old cats on their bikes, grinning. I love bikes, I love riding them
peace
Have fun! And give John my best!

BTW: To get the real "Allis Loop Experience," you need to ride it in early March, when there is frozen rain pouring out of the sky, and you have to be on a 42X17 fixed.

- FBB

· "It's alive!"
1,454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
fbagatelleblack said:
BTW: To get the real "Allis Loop Experience," you need to ride it in early March, when there is frozen rain pouring out of the sky, and you have to be on a 42X17 fixed.
Oh yeah... and you have to start at 5:30AM when there is barely enough light to see.

- FBB

· "It's alive!"
1,454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Djudd said:
How about a real pleasant New England day with triple cranks? (well not triples), although I would like to try a fixie
Well, that would certainly be more pleasurable, but the Allis Loop is not about pleasure. It is about pain, the type of pain which either kills us or makes us stronger.

But, now that you mention it, your plan sounds much nicer. What was I thinking back then? (and, "Yes" I went to that institution you mentioned, but don't spread it around too much...)

- FBB

· Registered
186 Posts
your secret is safe with me ....

fbagatelleblack said:
Well, that would certainly be more pleasurable, but the Allis Loop is not about pleasure. It is about pain, the type of pain which either kills us or makes us stronger.

But, now that you mention it, your plan sounds much nicer. What was I thinking back then? (and, "Yes" I went to that institution you mentioned, but don't spread it around too much...)

- FBB
and the millions on the internet

· Devoid of all flim-flam
7,365 Posts
My Somec is my Beater

I now work out of my house, but when I commuted to an office I used my mid-1980's Columbus SL'd Somec with Nuovo Record five-speed running gear. Now, I ride it on retro rides, and I use it as my cruise to lunch bike, too. It gets a lot of use.

For a while I had a Rivendell Rambouillet that I bought especially for commuting and all-arounding, but I eventually discovered that I liked my Somec a whole lot more. The Somec was equally as soft riding and comfortable. It was also a whole lot snappier and more fun to pedal...thanks in part to it weighing a good four pounds less than the Rambo. In any event, yes my retro ride is far from gathering dust.

· BrooklynVelo
1,426 Posts
Well I'm going to guess that I'm in the minority here. My retro-modern Raleigh Team is my daily commuter and my race bike. Of course it's been updated with a Centaur/Ultegra mix and Ritchey Pro wheelset, but the heart is still a custom built 531c frame (albeit with a carbon fork and Cane Creek 1" S2). She's a beaut and an amazing ride.

· Registered
5,644 Posts
daneil said:
Well I'm going to guess that I'm in the minority here. My retro-modern Raleigh Team is my daily commuter and my race bike. Of course it's been updated with a Centaur/Ultegra mix and Ritchey Pro wheelset, but the heart is still a custom built 531c frame (albeit with a carbon fork and Cane Creek 1" S2). She's a beaut and an amazing ride.
I am in the same boat. While it is a newer frame, I have a lugged Croll built up with dura-ace bar cons/ultegra/more dura-ace mix, with a quill stem, that is both my commuter and main ride (cannot claim to have raced it yet).

· Unlabeled
3,729 Posts
My 4 retro bikes

1. 1971 Schwinn Sports Tourer, 26" frame, filet brazed. Built to last centuries. Replaced lousy Campy derailleur with a Deore, new wheels, 35 mm tires, fenders, rack. For Commuting, riding gravel trails, rain and night bike. Has a great brazed on chrome plated solid steel kickstand.
2. 1973 Gitane Tour de France--stripped and Powder coated, single speed, Promenade handlebars, chrome fenders. Casual rides up to 50 miles, usually with my wife.
3. 1980 Raleigh Competition GS--New Ultegra/Open Pro's, hyperglide cassette, down tube friction shifters. My fast bike. Friction shifting with hyperglide cassette is really easy.
4. Early 80's Shogun 600--Arabesqe Shimano 600 groupo. All original, pure retro 10 speed. The bike to turn back time.

· "It's alive!"
1,454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
Reynolds531 said:
1. 1971 Schwinn Sports Tourer, 26" frame, filet brazed. Built to last centuries. Replaced lousy Campy derailleur with a Deore, new wheels, 35 mm tires, fenders, rack. For Commuting, riding gravel trails, rain and night bike. Has a great brazed on chrome plated solid steel kickstand.
Is that the Super Sport - or at least the same frame (I don't remember if the Super Sport had a Campy der)? If so, did you get the kit that allows you to replace the BMX-style bottom bracket with a standard road bike model?

I am keeping my eyes out for one of the 26" Super Sport frames, or a complete bike, but I have to finish all my current projects first.

Yers,

- FBB

· Unlabeled
3,729 Posts
Not same model as Super Sport

The Sports Tourer had a Stronglight 3 piece cotterless crank with an English threaded 68 mm bottom bracket shell. It came with a Campy derailleur attached directly to the rear dropout. It was Schwinn's top of the line filet brazed bike.

· "It's alive!"
1,454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Reynolds531 said:
The Sports Tourer had a Stronglight 3 piece cotterless crank with an English threaded 68 mm bottom bracket shell. It came with a Campy derailleur attached directly to the rear dropout. It was Schwinn's top of the line filet brazed bike.
Then it's a definite step up from the Super Sport, which was also fillet brazed (4130), but came with a one piece Ashtabula-style crank and less-than-stellar componentry. Still, the frame is a great starting point for nice restomods, especially for those of us who require a frame larger than 25". Also nice is the fact that they made about a gazillion of the bikes...

That said, it sounds like I need to keep my eyes open for one of them there Sports Tourers. They sound MUCH nicer.

Thanks for the clarification!

- Forbes

· Registered
9 Posts
I used one of those double doughnut type adapters to add a Sora triple crank on my 72 Super Sport. Works fine and doesn't look too bad. I think 71 was the last year that the fillet brazed Super Sports used an integrated derailleur hanger. Even with the “claw” type hanger on the 72, I was able to get a Deore derailleur to work with 105 9-speed STI shifters. My old Super Sport makes a fine commuter bike for me. Plus anyone can go out and buy a fancy new bike.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.