Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Retrograde: Superbe Pro 8-speed on Shimano 9-speed freehub?

Sorry if this duplicates another thread; my first post here and I searched but didn't see anything.

Looking to keep my old SuperbePro derailleur and Command shifters, but have a pair of Bontrager selects w/9 speed freehub and SRAM cassette. Can I use my current derailleur/shifters? How can I retrograde to 8 speed?

edited for clarity/more info. The Command shifters are 7-speed, but I'm running them w/an 8-speed Sachs freewheel. So I'm really looking to run 8-speed spacing on the 9 speed freehub....

·
NeoRetroGrouch
6,491 Posts
teleguy57 said:
Sorry if this duplicates another thread; my first post here and I searched but didn't see anything.

Looking to keep my old SuperbePro derailleur and Command shifters, but have a pair of Bontrager selects w/9 speed freehub and SRAM cassette. Can I use my current derailleur/shifters? How can I retrograde to 8 speed?

edited for clarity/more info. The Command shifters are 7-speed, but I'm running them w/an 8-speed Sachs freewheel. So I'm really looking to run 8-speed spacing on the 9 speed freehub....
An 8-speed cassette will fit on a 9-speed freehub with no modifications. They are, overall, the same width. - TF

·
Get me to In&Out
4,775 Posts
Or just run the derailleur in friction mode and be on your way. I am not sure you will get enough cage movement for the 130mm spacing though. Weren't those set up to run with "ultra seven" setups? Meaning they were meant to run on six speed freewheels but you could buy a seven speed freewheel that was spaced narrower and still fit the rear drop outs?

·
Roadie with unshaven legs
2,027 Posts
Interesting reading. Despite it being for the mountain bike derailleurs and shifters it does apply to the roadie stuff, too.

My '89 Suntour GPX shifters have three settings that you can set by backing out the mounting screw until it is loose then you turn the black plastic ring to 6-speed, friction, or 7-speed mode, in pretty much that order. The funny thing is that, despite it being 6 or 7-speeds it will click until it hits the stop, which could be 9 or 10 clicks, regardless which setting the collar is on. This means that you can run an 8-speed rear cassette or even, by modifying the way you attach the cable, 9-speed and use your Suntour RD and shifters.

Here's what Sheldon Brown says about the different sprocket spacing.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
helpful stuff! The Superbe Pro DT shift levers seem to have a large # of tops, and the Command shifters have 7 stops but I can get one more shift out of them.

The FW is a Sach Maillard 8 spd, but I don't know the year; from the SB site it looks like they changed spacing, but at either 4.8 or 5.0 mm spacing for the Sachs I should be able to get the Shimano 8 spd at 4.8 to work. Time to chase one down and try it out....

1 - 6 of 6 Posts