Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Retul fitting scheduled for tomorrow morning. Does anybody have an experience with them? I'm super excited to get properly professionally dialed in. I'd love to hear your experiences with it.

·
Registered
5,360 Posts
The guy who did mine tried constantly to sell me stems, seats, bars, shoes and pedals.

Some fitters are good and honest but some are more interested in selling you stuff.

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
...Some fitters are good and honest but some are more interested in selling you stuff.
Yes, but good and honest fitters should still interested in selling you stuff, stuff that will improve your fit and riding experience to include bars, stems, saddles, pedals, shoes, kit, and anything else that will help you ride more and enjoy it more.

As for the Retul fit, it won't hurt much and will be over before you know it. Any lingering discomfort can usually be treated with over-the-counter analgesics.

·
Registered
4,979 Posts
Keep us posted! I'd love to hear from you throughout to see how it is and how it works!

·
Banned
2,075 Posts
make sure they use lube and latex gloves.

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
I've been here two days, read many many posts, it's clear that you're the resident troll. I am surprised how quickly I found you.
Unfortunately, Trolls run in packs, and they are very envious of others getting all the attention... The rest should be along shortly to enlighten you. :D

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The fitting went well, I was a bit nervous but my fitter Chris at Element Multisport in Chicago, was great. I was there about 3 hours for a Road bike which I received the whole nine yards, and a quick standard fit on my cross bike.
We Switched pedals/shoes, which I fully expected so it was more of a confirmation than an up-sell, raised my seat almost 1-1/2", moved it forward, rotated my bars, and dialed me in. I instantly felt faster, but I'm more interested in endurance and to see if my hot foot goes away. I won't know that until the weekend at best. I'm riding RAGBRAI this year, so time in the saddle without pain is important. I use my cross bike for the winter and the slop, I treat it like a toy, so I had the same fit put on that. Again, he adjusted my cleats on 2 pairs of shoes, rotated bars, raised the saddle, and swapped a stem.
It felt different but great in the shop, time will tell, but I'm happy with the process.

FWIW, I'm a contractor in the service industry and upsetting is a vital part of the business, so piss off with all that nonsense

·
Registered
3,947 Posts
Raised your seat almost 1.5"? Yikes. That's a huge change. Your position before the Retul fitting must have been really off.

Expect some pain over the next few weeks as your muscles get accustomed to the new position. That's normal. Be careful not to attribute the new pain to a bad fitting.

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
As tvad mentioned, those are fairly significant changes. It'll be almost like riding a completely different bike.

I'd expect some soreness and discomfort as your body adjusts.

Good luck with RAGBRAI. I have a buddy training for it here in the Seattle area.

·
Registered
3,394 Posts
I wonder if, in a situation like this where there's large changes, if it would be good to make them in smaller increments. Mark/note the final positions, and then change in 1-2 intermediate steps, maybe 3-4 hours or a couple of rides for each step.

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
LOL, well, he only mentioned it me in the context of asking for suggestings for long, relatively flat training routes in the area. No mention of bars or booze. :)

·
Registered
4,979 Posts
Those are HUGE changes. And you are prepping for a HUGE ride. Sounds like a bad combination brewing.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
RAGBRAI is months away. OP has time to adjust.
Agreed. Is it a big change? Yes, but lets not blow this out of proportion, I have months before RAGBRAI, and will have 1000+ miles under my belt by then. This is no different than starting to ride again after the long winter, it'll take saddle time to get into shape anyway.

·
gazing from the shadows
27,288 Posts
The guy who did mine tried constantly to sell me stems, seats, bars, shoes and pedals.

Some fitters are good and honest but some are more interested in selling you stuff.
I won't take contractor advice from my home inspector, I won't buy stocks from a financial adviser, and I would not buy equipment from a fitter for the same reasons.

If you pay for advice, pay for ONLY advice, and you can be a lot more confident in what you hear.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I won't take contractor advice from my home inspector, I won't buy stocks from a financial adviser, and I would not buy equipment from a fitter for the same reasons.

If you pay for advice, pay for ONLY advice, and you can be a lot more confident in what you hear.
I don't think you understand how a fitting works. You're telling me that you'll go get a fitting, the go out a shop for the new components, install them, go back, get refitted with those parts, hoping that the new parts are the right size, which make the right adjustments to your overall fit? Otherwise you get to start the whole process again. Yeah, your system is brilliant.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

In all fairness, your last statement is accurate. However, when you're hiring a home inspector your not hiring a contractor, when you're hiring a financial adviser you're not hiring a broker. When you hire a bike fitter, you paying for him/her to fit your bike not a consultation.

·
gazing from the shadows
27,288 Posts
I don't think you understand how a fitting works. You're telling me that you'll go get a fitting, the go out a shop for the new components, install them, go back, get refitted with those parts, hoping that the new parts are the right size, which make the right adjustments to your overall fit? Otherwise you get to start the whole process again. Yeah, your system is brilliant.
I understand quite well how fittings work. I also understand how incentives work, and how to alter situations that CAN produce perverse incentives. There are multiple ways to do that if you are worried about being oversold on parts.

For example, I could tell the fitter that I would buy new equipment only from another source, to the fitter's spec, then let the fitter install and check.

Or I could have the fitter set up the bike with their parts, then write down what they put on, and buy it from another source and install it myself (as the fitter had already approved those changes).

Or I could pay the fitter to give me the numbers, and then set up the bike to those numbers. Or have a different fitter/mechanic do so.

In reality, I would never pay money for such a service, as I know what I like and need for bike set up. But if I were worried about the incentives altering the advice, then there are options to take that out of the equation.

The thing that ties together the above option, and other options I did not bother listing, is telling the fitter at the start that they will not see one cent in sales from the process. They get paid to fit, not to sell. Full stop.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts