Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'd like to return to riding a road bike after a seriously long absence and have started to look at my options (boy have things changed in the last 20 years and at the same time stayed the same).
I'm the type of rider who will go out and ride hard for 2-3 hours, rather than be out all day on a century. I like putting my head down, pedaling hard and going fast.
Spending the last couple weeks researching, I've found a few bikes that I really like. I know ultimately it will boil down to fit, but I'd love to hear some opinions on whether these are good choices and whether they fit my style riding.
I'm 5'-7" and 155 pounds. Average build.

So the 3 bikes I'm considering are:

Felt F5

Look 566

Fuji SST 3.0

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
This is a comment on the Fugi SST. I have been selling bikes for 22 years, and i dont like this bike. Not because the bike is bad, actually it is a very nice bike. I just don't like the seat mast/ cutting thing involved. I have worked with one of these and unless you set the cap that holds the seat firmly on the mast, it rocks. So you have to absolutly have to be spot on on your cut.

Like i said, its just me on that one. I perfer a standard seat post that can be adjusted. Especially as you are a returning cyclist, you might want to start with the seat a little lower and then raise it as you regain your "legs"

Then again i'm a grumpy old pain in the butt. LOL LOL LOL But i have seen things like this come and go and i'm not convinced that seat masts are a good idea. To little gain and to much to lose.

Bill

·
Registered
296 Posts
First let me say welcome back to the scene and welcome to RBR.

2nd are you sure you wanna start off with any of the high end bikes after not riding for 20yrs ? Its your money and your choice, im just curious as to why those bikes

·
Registered
11,474 Posts
Biker Dude said:
I'm the type of rider who will go out and ride hard for 2-3 hours, rather than be out all day on a century. I like putting my head down, pedaling hard and going fast.
Welcome back! The bikes you mentioned will do fine. But because your riding is so limited, I agree with the notion that going for the high-end bike might not be the wisest choice at this time. I'd scale back the expense a bit and see how things are in a year or so. You may develop a like for a facet of the sport you've not explored before.

·
Cycling induced anoesis
13,006 Posts
Adding to the list of opinions here, I agree that unless a rider has spent some time in the saddle and had their fit evolve some, seat masts offer more disadvantages than their one advantage (minimal weight loss).

Of the two remaining choices, I think test rides will narrow that down for you, because the geo differences of the two bikes will IMO affect fit. IME the Felt "F" series are fairly aggressive, race oriented bikes. While that doesn't put them in a class of their own, I find their geo a little more aggressive than some others. Not a bad thing, if that's what you're after. LOOKs tend to have shorter reach (comparatively speaking), so they don't work particularly well for me, but the opposite may be true for you.

Assuming you've limited your reasearch to 'just looking' (on the web or in shops), I suggest branching out some and visiting shops carrying Jamis, Specialized, Giant, Scott (among others). Working with LBS's on sizing/ fitting and heading out on test rides is IME the best way to determine your preferences in fit/ feel, ride and handling. From there, it'll be relatively easy to narrow the field.

Lastly, welcome back. 20 years is a lengthy hiatus, so get out and test ride some bikes!! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
11,474 Posts
PJ352 said:
Adding to the list of opinions here, I agree that unless a rider has spent some time in the saddle and had their fit evolve some, seat masts offer more disadvantages than their one advantage
I forgot about the Fuji seat mast thing: agree with PJ352. While the masts do offer a range of adjustment, the problem for someone getting back into the sport is not knowing which way that adjustment may have to be made. The often-made assumption that more experience = higher saddle doesn't hold water—plenty of riders need to lower their saddle as fit evolves. If you do get the Fuji, keep that in mind before you cut the mast.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
I believe that the SST 3.0 is an aero seatpost, not an integrated seatmast. The SST 2.0 is definitely an IS.

Agree with the others though....I'd avoid anything with an IS for now.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
CdaleNut said:
First let me say welcome back to the scene and welcome to RBR.

2nd are you sure you wanna start off with any of the high end bikes after not riding for 20yrs ? Its your money and your choice, im just curious as to why those bikes
The F5 was highly recommended by a friend who absolutely love loves his F3, so I started looking around for other bikes in that price range and dropped by a few LBS to see what they carry. I like the look of these 3 models, but as everyone keeps telling me fit is everything.
I don't mind paying more for a bike now if that means I don't look longingly at another bike in a year wishing I had bought it instead.

I don't remember 105 being so expensive on my last bike! :D

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
And Becky is absolutly correct on the seat mast thing, the SST 3 has a traditional seat post. I was getting it mentally confused with the SST 2 we had in the store. My bad.

BTW, the SST 3 rode nice and stiff under me, and i'm 230 lbs.

Bill

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
crossracer said:
And Becky is absolutly correct on the seat mast thing, the SST 3 has a traditional seat post. I was getting it mentally confused with the SST 2 we had in the store. My bad.

BTW, the SST 3 rode nice and stiff under me, and i'm 230 lbs.

Bill
Can't seem to find any in my size already built to test ride at LBS's!

·
Registered
335 Posts
Biker Dude said:
I'd like to return to riding a road bike after a seriously long absence and have started to look at my options (boy have things changed in the last 20 years and at the same time stayed the same).
Spending the last couple weeks researching, I've found a few bikes that I really like. I know ultimately it will boil down to fit, but I'd love to hear some opinions on whether these are good choices and whether they fit my style riding.
I'm 5'-7" and 155 pounds. Average build.

So the 3 bikes I'm considering are:

Felt F5

Look 566

Fuji SST 3.0

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.
BD...I went through this a few years ago. I used to do a lot of riding but never raced. What I really wanted was something Italian or custom. Advice from friends who ride a lot steered me to getting more of a tried and true frame until I knew for sure that I would in fact ride a lot and more importantly would I still like it.

The best advice they gave me was to spend some money on wheels as they'll go from bike to bike, to not go cheap on the frame or on the components and to buy something that I could sell...just in case.

So for me that meant a "nice" bike that says "ride me" but nothing custom for my reentry. I am really happy.

The experiment was a success...I love to ride again and have thousands of miles on the new rig. I keep it clean and shiney and I smile whenever I ride it (unless of course I'm getting dropped going up the big climbs by said friends who all have many tens of thousands of miles in their legs :) ).

·
Registered
337 Posts
I test rode the Look 566 and also the 585 when I was in the market for a new bike (ended up with the Cervelo S3) and the Look bikes ride nicely. I'd take the 566 over the other bikes on your list.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Wheelman55 said:
BD...I went through this a few years ago. I used to do a lot of riding but never raced. What I really wanted was something Italian or custom. Advice from friends who ride a lot steered me to getting more of a tried and true frame until I knew for sure that I would in fact ride a lot and more importantly would I still like it.

The best advice they gave me was to spend some money on wheels as they'll go from bike to bike, to not go cheap on the frame or on the components and to buy something that I could sell...just in case.

So for me that meant a "nice" bike that says "ride me" but nothing custom for my reentry. I am really happy.

The experiment was a success...I love to ride again and have thousands of miles on the new rig. I keep it clean and shiney and I smile whenever I ride it (unless of course I'm getting dropped going up the big climbs by said friends who all have many tens of thousands of miles in their legs :) ).

Thanks for the advice!

·
Registered
67 Posts
Twenty years off puts you at least in your 40s. I took 25 off before returning last year. Clipless pedals, indexed shifters and carbon frames and wheels have revolutionized the sport.

The 566 is a great bike for long rides or hard, fast rides. I have a few friends with 566s and they all love it. I ride it's predecessor, a 555, and am very happy with it. I can ride 30+ miles at over 21 mph with a fast group or ride a century in comfort. A very good all-around bike. Of course, fit is the most important thing.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
There are space-age additives in RED paint, that makes RED painted bikes much faster than any other color.....

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Of course the more I look, the more bike options there are. Here are my latest parameters.
I am leaning toward SRAM Rival components. As for the bike, I would love an aero road frame (to clarify, not TT).
I find aero frames pretty sexy and I think it would make me ride more.
I am having problems finding a bike to fit these parameters and I'm pretty sure buying the parts and frame is a much more expensive option.

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Actually, I did find one option which is the Kuota Kharma which is available with Rival but I don't know much about Kuota.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts