was on a Time VXRS overshot the turn and went down, gashing up his
legs and slightly damaging the bike. There were a dozen or so bikers
at the scene, so I rode past and went to my car. As I was loading my bike
I was near a group of returning cyclists. From the general tone of the remarks
and the smirks, I gathered that the cyclist who had the accident was a 'fred',
i.e., classified as a lesser rider aboard a uber-racing bike. I could see
that these guys were hard-core and most rode older bikes. I have met and
ridden with a few of them, and respected them greatly, being a newer rider
myself (also on a bike that is above my station).
Hey, I can understand the legs are everything, just ride more elitism of
established riders. But this guy went to the ER! I really think there is a line
where justifiable self-righteousness becomes malicious, mean-spirited and
base. I will mark these individuals, and bide my time until next year when my
legs are stronger......

·
Registered
577 Posts
varoadie said:
I don't think anyone in my cycling community is better than the bike they are riding..

And there is no such thing as a bike someone doesnt deserve. Even if you are new guy you should buy what makes you happy. People that think that someone shouldnt have a high end bike just because they are new are idiots. Should a new guitarist not buy a PRS just because hes new? Or a first home buyer shouldnt buy that big house on the lake? I bought a hyundai accent as my first car because I can afford it. I sure as hell would have gotten the porsche if I could have.

·
Registered
2,403 Posts
I wouldn't pass judgement on a partially overheard conversation.

Frankly what you describe would happen in almost any situation, it sounds like normal human behavior and not a cause to "mark" anyone.

If I put a nail through my hand with my new power hammer and some carpenters had to pull me off the wall and send me off to the emergency room, don't you think they'd "talk" about how the newbie pnematic hammer user may have been in over his head.

If the guy tried to power corner on a time trial bike and perhaps didn't have the sense (experience) to move to the horns when he did it, don't you think think the long tooths are going to have a chuckle about the rookie mistake. Don't you think the talk could have been familiar banter along the lines of BTDT. Everyone was a rookie once they may not have been laughing at him, but rather with him, because now he's in the club.

Scot

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Oh, thanks for the alternative point of reference. I am sure you a right.
I would really hate to think cyclists could be so inveterately hostile.
Besides which, I am aware that going off on some Charles Bronson
'next year I'll drop you on the hills' BS is not only delusional, it also
reeks of the same Freddishness I am trying to surmount. I sure hope I
don't screw the pooch and become the subject of BTDT humor.

·
Registered
638 Posts
Yea thats pretty shady. Im sure we all agree that a guy just starting yet riding a $4000 bike is kind of funny in a way but its not like I actually dislike the guy for it. Its funny like when a guy in his new vette stalls it at a stoplight. But to trash talk a dude that just went down hard in a turn is just stupid. hey I ride a scott s10 but if I had the cash there'd be a cervelo and a pegoretti in my garage, and that doesnt make me any less or more of a rider.

·
Number 2 on the course.
4,405 Posts
Presumably they didn't make fun of the guy to his face, so no harm done. That is, until he reads on the internet that he is the object of ridicule among the locals. But i'm sure a lot of guy crashed their Time VXRS today, so its not like he is going to be able to connect the dots or anything. . .

·
Banned
978 Posts
I agree. .

logansites said:
And there is no such thing as a bike someone doesnt deserve. Even if you are new guy you should buy what makes you happy. I sure as hell would have gotten the porsche if I could have.
I have a $6K Wilier and I don't even race (used to long ago). I can afford it and I don't give a sh*t what someone says about me. I get attitudes to when I drive my 2006 BMW M3 around town, but when I drive my old azz 20yo beater car to work people are nice and let me in when merging. I worked my butt off to get a degree, so I'm not going to buy garbage products so I can "fit in.":rolleyes:

·
Formosan Cyclocross
3,380 Posts
My LBS guy was telling me about several customers who buy $6000 bikes (nice Italian Bikes) with full gear... to ride 5 miles a week on the bike trail with their kids. He doesn't care because it just drives the industry and generates revenue for the whole bike ecosystem that goes to making good stuff cheaper for everyone else.

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Dajianshan said:
My LBS guy was telling me about several customers who buy $6000 bikes (nice Italian Bikes) with full gear... to ride 5 miles a week on the bike trail with their kids. He doesn't care because it just drives the industry and generates revenue for the whole bike ecosystem that goes to making good stuff cheaper for everyone else.
People that work at bike shops generally think anyone with money is an a$$. These folk are elitist pr!cks.

I am continuously bothered by people that judge others based on how they have fun. If someone enjoys spending thousand of dollars on bikes they barely ride, great for them. If one enjoys being a weight weenie, but never actually rides the stuff they buy, great for them too.

Moreover, I really don't respect local leg power and/or riding ability all that much. It is all a stupid game. Unless one makes a living from riding bikes, we are just having fun and being healthy. I respect people that know how to enjoy themselves who do it in a positive way.

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Tschai said:
Moreover, I really don't respect local leg power and/or riding ability all that much. It is all a stupid game. Unless one makes a living from riding bikes, we are just having fun and being healthy. I respect people that know how to enjoy themselves who do it in a positive way.
That's exactly what I have been thinking. The kinds of guys that ride beat up
bikes and are higher up in the food chain of rider abilities are playing the
'look at me, the unsung hero' childish game just as much as guys like me
who are newer at this may be naive and haven't paid our dues. Flip side of
that is that being newer means I make greater gains easier and riding is
still a magical experience, especially on a great bike. Look, I know
there's a good ole boys network and riders must earn their stripes by hard
work and determination, and I suppose it all works out for the best that way.

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
Scot_Gore said:
If I put a nail through my hand with my new power hammer and some carpenters had to pull me off the wall and send me off to the emergency room, don't you think they'd "talk" about how the newbie pnematic hammer user may have been in over his head.
Scot
Are you kidding? They would taunt you mercilessly forever. And ever. And even longer than that.

·
Banned
978 Posts
Man, you hit that on the head!

Tschai said:
Unless one makes a living from riding bikes, we are just having fun and being healthy. I respect people that know how to enjoy themselves who do it in a positive way.
I live in Virginia Beach, and we have some local weenies on a bike team and it's hilarious how even the chics take themselves so freaking seriously. Totally assholish behavior. Any moron can ride a bike I don't care if you can TT at 30mph, if you are not a paid professional, you are in not way any better than a dude on a $200 bike from wallyworld. That goes for some people on these forums, I've ridden with a number of people who could easily race at at CAT 3 level including me, but I have no interest in racing anymore and I ride a lone.:thumbsup:

·
papa sboak
1,022 Posts
I wish I had 6K to spend on bike equipment. Those guys are lucky (except the guy who went to the ER).

Don't judge others... lest you be...

okay thats just stupid...

I'm just jealous. More power to them. They can afford to measure their watts.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.