Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Adrenalina Italiana
987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was looking at getting a pair for racing this year and was wanting some feedback from the guys that ride them. I'll be using the clinchers and I wont be doing too much climbing with them. Thanks in advance for the feedback.

·
Registered
286 Posts
I've never used them but from everyone I've ever talked to who have they say that Carbons are absolutely awesome wheels. They are rock solid and aero but they have one drawback- they are heavy. Very heavy. In fact the rear wheel weighs more than a set of Reynolds Stratus DV wheels! The carbon fairing is not structural it is simply an aero shroud over an aluminum rim. I've even heard that it is not carbon at all but I don't know personally.

For the price I think there are better wheel choices out there that will give you the same aero performance with a lot less weight. Look at the Zipp 404's and Reynolds Stratus DV before you buy the Mavics.

·
Every little counts...
3,924 Posts
Not a true climber, for sure. But..

Max-Q said:
For the price I think there are better wheel choices out there that will give you the same aero performance with a lot less weight. Look at the Zipp 404's and Reynolds Stratus DV before you buy the Mavics.
Price is not that bad, and half of the pro peleton uses them on flatter races. This is when they have Ks available also. Petachhi and the sprinters use them alot. Then again, Bettini does too. It really throws alot of our assumptions about weight out the window.

Acceleration: Petacchi won most of his sprints in last years' tours on them.

·
Administrator
12,969 Posts
Spunout said:
Price is not that bad, and half of the pro peleton uses them on flatter races. This is when they have Ks available also. Petachhi and the sprinters use them alot. Then again, Bettini does too. It really throws alot of our assumptions about weight out the window.

Acceleration: Petacchi won most of his sprints in last years' tours on them.
On "what the pro's use"- they use what the team sponsors and the director sportiff tell them to use. Mavic is a major sponsor to the sport and to specific teams and therefore many riders have to ride their wheels, like it or not. Often, the only varient on this rule is in the mountain stages where the non-sponsor ADA or other "dream" wheels come out. I am not saying Mavic makes bad wheels (they don't, although they tend to be much heavier and more expensive then some of their competitors), but don't base your decision in the least on what rider is using them, because unless they are Lance, they have to use sponsor's gear.

For Aero wheels, the Zipps seem like the trick to me. But I go for light wheels and box sections myself.

Coolhand

·
cruisin
174 Posts
They are on the heavy side but,

they spin like mad! :eek: Once you get them up to speed, they just cruise along. Not great for climbing, but they are tough sob's! I bought mine 2nd hand, the older version with 16 spokes on the rear. I've never trued them, and here in NE, the roads aren't always that great. If you want to try them, look for a used pair. I think I paid about 350 for mine. If you're looking for aero and light, you may want to consider some of the alternatives listed above. Zipp 303's and 404's, American Classic 420's all seem like very nice alternatives. Good luck!

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
Mixed Feelings

I've ridden Carbones since 1998. They were the only wheels I rode for 3 years. I agree that they are fast on flats and make very good time trial wheels. Last year my rear wheel, 16 spoke vintage, broke. First an eyelet broke, appeared to be corroded. Since you really can't see what's going on inside these rims, I didn't realize it was broken and just thought it had gone out of true, so I trued the wheel and put it back on the bike. The night before a century I discovered the wheel was badly out of true again but I did not have the specific nipple tool needed or an extra wheel so I opened the brake caliper and rode the century. After a closer inspection I discovered that the aluminum rim had cracked because I had tightened the nipple with the broken eyelet directly against the rim. MAVIC explained that neither the eyelet nor the rim can be replaced on the Carbones anyway. They replaced the wheel with the newer SSC version for half price. The graphics on the new rear wheel do not match the graphics on the old front wheel, the older wheels look nicer and matched the lettering on my frame. Lesson learned is to use them as race day or special events wheels only if you want them to last indefinitely. Anyway I've gotten my money's worth out of them. I agree that they are pretty heavey and as
race only wheels I would look for something lighter. I had planned to ride mine every day when I bought them (clinchers). If you consider buying preowned Carbones be sure to check to see that none of the eyelets are broken or corroded, you can't see this but when they break the eyelet will be loose. Of course you have to remove the rim tape to get to the eyelets. I rode mine in the rain a few times which my have led to the failure. My dealer says that MAVIC will replace the Carbones in 2005 with a new wheel.
Sorry if this is too long.
~Al

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
Coolhand said:
On "what the pro's use"- they use what the team sponsors and the director sportiff tell them to use. Mavic is a major sponsor to the sport and to specific teams and therefore many riders have to ride their wheels, like it or not. Often, the only varient on this rule is in the mountain stages where the non-sponsor ADA or other "dream" wheels come out. I am not saying Mavic makes bad wheels (they don't, although they tend to be much heavier and more expensive then some of their competitors), but don't base your decision in the least on what rider is using them, because unless they are Lance, they have to use sponsor's gear.

For Aero wheels, the Zipps seem like the trick to me. But I go for light wheels and box sections myself.

Coolhand
You can count on the fact no racer will use wheels that would cause him to loose. Even if they had to stick to Mavic they could always use the Ksyriums.

Regarding ADA, they're pretty much riding on the reputation and success of Lightweight wheels. The use of ADA wheels by top racers has been disputed many times which turn out to be from Lightweight instead.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts