Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been searching around but I can't for the life of me find any reviews or impressions of FLO's new wheels. Been considering a 45/60 combo for my CAAD10, which I ride mostly on rolling road races.

All the reviews I can find are on the company's previous-gen wheels.

Anybody have impressions, or suggestions for something else I should be considering instead?

Thanks!

·
Registered
363 Posts
Probably because no one has them yet. The first order is later this month. There were a couple online reviews:
TriRig.com - FLO Cycling unveils all-new Carbon Clinchers
Flo Cycling 2016 Wheel Line ? First Look - AeroGeeks

There is also a large thread on slowtwitch about them, with a lot of input from the guys at Flo.

In my opinion their level of transparency is fantastic and their design process sounds really good. They will be at or near the top of my list if I ever decide to buy some carbon clinchers.

·
Registered
363 Posts
If you do end up going in on the April order please post your impressions when you get them. I'm definitely interested in hearing non-reviewer impressions of them.

·
Registered
8,224 Posts
They did all their modeling and optimization for 23c tires. Why would they put themselves years behind at the start?
A wider rim, like HED + makes the installed width of a 23 equal to, or wider than a 25 mounted on a standard 19mm rim. At 200+ lbs I can ride a 23 at 80-90 psi (tubeless) on a 25mm rim without issue. I expect that for a rider at an optimum competitive weight the optimum tire on a wider rim is rightly pegged at 23mm. (BTW, the "c" is part of the rim standard, ie 700c, 650b, not tire width)

·
Registered
232 Posts
A wider rim, like HED + makes the installed width of a 23 equal to, or wider than a 25 mounted on a standard 19mm rim. At 200+ lbs I can ride a 23 at 80-90 psi (tubeless) on a 25mm rim without issue. I expect that for a rider at an optimum competitive weight the optimum tire on a wider rim is rightly pegged at 23mm. (BTW, the "c" is part of the rim standard, ie 700c, 650b, not tire width)
Except it isn't. The wider rims were developed specifically for the increasing popularity of wider tires. The majority of tour riders*use 25mm+ tires, installed on wider rims they frequently measure 27-28mm. That makes the optimum outside diameter of the rim about 27-28mm too. Optimizing for 23mm tires just ignores the trends of the last couple years. For example, the Zipp firecrest rim has a width of 28mm, using a 23mm tire on these new rims just kills the Aero advantage. ENVE is doing the same thing. Optimization for 25mm (measuring more like 27-28) tires has been trend for over two years now, why is FLO going backwards? Why optimize for 23mm when the rest of the cycling world has already moved on to 25/28mm?

·
Registered
8,224 Posts
Tell every tire manufacturer to stop labeling them that way then.
from Tire Sizing Systems

In the French system, the first number is the nominal diameter in mm, followed by a letter code for the width: "A" is narrow, "D" is wide. The letter codes no longer correspond to the tire width, since narrow tires are often made for rim sizes that originally took wide tires; for example, 700 C was originally a wide size, but now is available in very narrow widths, with actual diameters as small as 660 mm.

·
Registered
232 Posts
from Tire Sizing Systems

In the French system, the first number is the nominal diameter in mm, followed by a letter code for the width: "A" is narrow, "D" is wide. The letter codes no longer correspond to the tire width, since narrow tires are often made for rim sizes that originally took wide tires; for example, 700 C was originally a wide size, but now is available in very narrow widths, with actual diameters as small as 660 mm.
Tell them, not me. I don't care what the c stands for.

·
Registered
8,224 Posts
Except it isn't. The wider rims were developed specifically for the increasing popularity of wider tires. The majority of tour riders*use 25mm+ tires, installed on wider rims they frequently measure 27-28mm. That makes the optimum outside diameter of the rim about 27-28mm too. Optimizing for 23mm tires just ignores the trends of the last couple years. For example, the Zipp firecrest rim has a width of 28mm, using a 23mm tire on these new rims just kills the Aero advantage. ENVE is doing the same thing. Optimization for 25mm (measuring more like 27-28) tires has been trend for over two years now, why is FLO going backwards? Why optimize for 23mm when the rest of the cycling world has already moved on to 25/28mm?
It depend on the rim width (and rider weight) as to which tire width is optimum. Install a 23mm tire on a HED + rim and you will see the sidewall and brake surface are nearly flush creating beneficial aero and sidewall stiffness benefits. Benefits were noticed in this early review HED Ardennes Plus SL wheelset review - BikeRadar USA

HED used to highlight the shape of the 23mm tire and wind tunnel results on their website as the benefit of the wider + rim. It appears they no longer market that. That is contrary to your assertion that wider rims were developed as a reaction to wider tires. The genesis of the wider rim...per HED was to reduce the lightbulb shape of the installed tire. Hed Ardennes Not Breaking - Making New Rules

There are any number of other articles stating the benefits of 23mm or 25mm rims with 23mm wide tires. I have yet to see one article saying "to meet the demands of a 25mm tire, we are moving to a wider rim". Got any links?

·
Forever a Student
4,963 Posts
There are any number of other articles stating the benefits of 23mm or 25mm rims with 23mm wide tires. I have yet to see one article saying "to meet the demands of a 25mm tire, we are moving to a wider rim". Got any links?
Mavic just did this.

In fact they say you can't or rather they recommend against using anything smaller than a 25mm. Now this is because of a standard, an ISO standard, that most can probably agree is a bit ridiculous, but still, it's what they're doing.

I think the standard says that anything over an internal width of 17mm has to be on at least a 28mm tire. So their new road rims have a 17mm internal width exactly which is the limit for 25mm. If they went back to their more narrow rims, they would be able to run 23mm, but they can't on their newer and wider rims, against the standard.

·
Registered
232 Posts
It depend on the rim width (and rider weight) as to which tire width is optimum. Install a 23mm tire on a HED + rim and you will see the sidewall and brake surface are nearly flush creating beneficial aero and sidewall stiffness benefits. Benefits were noticed in this early review HED Ardennes Plus SL wheelset review - BikeRadar USA

HED used to highlight the shape of the 23mm tire and wind tunnel results on their website as the benefit of the wider + rim. It appears they no longer market that. That is contrary to your assertion that wider rims were developed as a reaction to wider tires. The genesis of the wider rim...per HED was to reduce the lightbulb shape of the installed tire. Hed Ardennes Not Breaking - Making New Rules

Surprise, HED is behind the curve too. The state of the art rims are all 27-28mm wide. They are all optimized for 25mm tires.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Surprise, HED is behind the curve too. The state of the art rims are all 27-28mm wide. They are all optimized for 25mm tires.
The flo 60 has a max width of 26.9 mm with internal width of 18 mm, which is also important for avoiding a light bulb shape with wide tires. Zipp 404 nsw for example has a max width of 27.8 mm but the internal width is 17.25 mm. Also if you read the recent flo blog post on their tire wind tunnel study you can see that the difference between 23 and 25 mm tires isn't huge.

http://flocycling.blogspot.com/2016/04/flo-cycling-a2-wind-tunnel-tire-study.html?m=1

·
Forever a Student
4,963 Posts
So if my internal rim width is 19.5mm and external is 28mm and the tires are 25mm do I win? How wide is too wide for a 25mm?

·
Forever a Student
4,963 Posts
In the car world a lot of folks stretch tires. Not for the same reason but this sort of reminds me of that. I'm sure there will be sort of a bell curve or something where at some point it will be stretched too much and not work right. Seems like most are sticking to around a 17mm or 18mm internal for this generation.

It's the internal width that matters for the tire shape right? The external width is more of an aerodynamics thing right? What's the internal width for this new FLO generation? I can see the external but not internal.

I know you can't use them in racing because UCI and such but what about those snap on fairings that Mavic used to have that go between the tire and rim? I'm guessing this new line/generation of wheels coming out from everyone though is trying to address that without them.

·
Registered
363 Posts
In the car world a lot of folks stretch tires. Not for the same reason but this sort of reminds me of that. I'm sure there will be sort of a bell curve or something where at some point it will be stretched too much and not work right. Seems like most are sticking to around a 17mm or 18mm internal for this generation.

It's the internal width that matters for the tire shape right? The external width is more of an aerodynamics thing right? What's the internal width for this new FLO generation? I can see the external but not internal.

I know you can't use them in racing because UCI and such but what about those snap on fairings that Mavic used to have that go between the tire and rim? I'm guessing this new line/generation of wheels coming out from everyone though is trying to address that without them.
It varies based on which rim, but I think they are all between 17 and 18 mm. All the specs are on each product page, internal width, brake track width, max width. The flo stuff is interesting because of how they ran the optimization algorithm for each rim depth. So supposedly for each rim it's the 'best' solution for the imposed constraints. I'd be interested in what kind of optimization techniques they used but their blog post wasn't quite that in depth.

·
Forever a Student
4,963 Posts
The flo stuff is interesting because of how they ran the optimization algorithm for each rim depth. So supposedly for each rim it's the 'best' solution for the imposed constraints.
Enve says the same thing, that's how they come up with their weird numbers. Like the 4.5 actually being 48mm and 56mm. FLO sounds solid, they're doing the work. Weird numbers appeal to me more than just standard millimeter dimensions. Nature doesn't operate on that sort of scale.

·
Registered
232 Posts
The flo 60 has a max width of 26.9 mm with internal width of 18 mm, which is also important for avoiding a light bulb shape with wide tires. Zipp 404 nsw for example has a max width of 27.8 mm but the internal width is 17.25 mm. Also if you read the recent flo blog post on their tire wind tunnel study you can see that the difference between 23 and 25 mm tires isn't huge.

Flo Cycling Blog: FLO Cycling - A2 Wind Tunnel Tire Study Part 1
I think you are missing the point about the 23 vs 25. The 23mm with a matching width rim will be a little more Aero, however the move towards 25mm isn't about aerodynamics. It is about better rolling resistance and better comfort. That's why rims are being optimized for 25mm tires, they are faster and more comfortable. The problem with FLO optimizing for the 23mm is that if you use 25mm tires on them, you lose aerodynamic advantage due to the light bulb effect. If you use 23mm tires, you lose the rolling resistance and comfort advantage. That's why the big players are optimizing for 25mm, you get the rolling resistance, comfort, AND the Aero (albeit a very tiny bit less Aero than a perfectly matched 23mm combo)

1 - 20 of 53 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.