Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
aren't we always plotting the next bike build? I am, and want to order the right parts and never be surprised again. I have two forks in my garage, both on bikes, and neither can handle a tire measuring larger than a GP4000s ii on 16-17mm internal rim. I am building a steel ride with carbon fork and I dearly want to ride on a Michelin 28c that measures 30mm true size.

I have searched for a fork that fits something like this and keep running into "long reach" designs that always say they can use a fender with the 28c. I have no desire for fenders, and their non-long reach versions never say what size tire actually will fit in there. Email exchanges come back with talk about long reach calipers making the difference but they never answered the actual question of what tire will fit, because I have two forks in the garage that won't fit what I want and that's regardless of caliper used.

Going with long reach forks will add 10 mill to axle-crown length and affect the functioning geometry of the bike, slackening HT and ST angles a half degree.

So far, A second hand Roubaix fork seems to handle crazy large road tires, I'm looking into second-hand Synapse SAVE forks and what they can fit, and I'm trying to see how much the new direct mount forks would cost, but I cant find any direct mount forks that aren't $800!! I have no problem getting the right caliper necessary for the fork but this is a road fork, rim brake, NON-long reach I'm searching for. Oh, 1-1/8 non-taper steerer.

And, well, yes cost is a consideration.

The posts over the last few years talked about what does and doesn't fit, but since it's 2016 now, and not everyone going 28c and bigger is on a cross bike, I'd like to know what you all have found.

thanks for your input. I appreciate it.

·
Banned
3,297 Posts
My Enve fork (American Made in Vietnam) fits a 40mm tire.

·
Banned
3,297 Posts
Which Enve fork do you have?
I have the disc cyclocross one compatible with quick-release, but I think they make a variety of road and cross forks compatible with various braking systems

Forks Products - ENVE Composites

They recently had a voluntary recall on their road disc forks, fwiw.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have the disc cyclocross one compatible with quick-release, but I think they make a variety of road and cross forks compatible with various braking systems

Forks Products - ENVE Composites

They recently had a voluntary recall on their road disc forks, fwiw.
Im not looking for a cross fork or disc. Road and caliper. Theres big road tires and road forks that fit them but manufacturers arent listing actual max tire measures that fit beyong blanket inaccuracies like, "fits 28c with fenders" that dont help.

Ill check out enve but its a bit money right now.

What id love to know more about is the IRD mosaic non57 fork, they keep talking about caliper but dont say anything about actual tire

·
Registered
150 Posts
For the HT angle difference, have you calculated the difference in the bike's trail? Would not a long-reach fork with more fork rake increase the trail and compensate for the slacker HT angle? As far as the ST angle, the old Waterford web site indicated a half degree equates to two or three millimeters difference. Could that difference be taken care of with moving the saddle?

You said you want a carbon fork, but you can probably get a custom steel fork at a reasonable cost.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
For the HT angle difference, have you calculated the difference in the bike's trail? Would not a long-reach fork with more fork rake increase the trail and compensate for the slacker HT angle? As far as the ST angle, the old Waterford web site indicated a half degree equates to two or three millimeters difference. Could that difference be taken care of with moving the saddle?

You said you want a carbon fork, but you can probably get a custom steel fork at a reasonable cost.
im wanting carbon. NON long reach. I already did the research on long reach. enough came out of that to desire not long rech forks. That's all I want is one ROAD fork, carbon, of normal length that fits a 28c. No cross stuff. Think of a speech Roubaix in steel form. That's kinda what I'm looking at.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Fixed the problem as much as i could. Kinesis dc07 winterfork is the shortest long reach fork i could find at reasonable price. Its no heavier than any other carbon/alu fork and its only 6mm longer than a normal fork. Now for a post on headsets, trying for a low stack lower cup, if they exist.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Our roads are poorly maintained these days, so I decided on a Serotta Ti 57-mm long reach caliper road frame for my fitness bike, which has Schwalbe 28-mm tires and Planet Bike fenders for our PNW rain days. The ride is way better, and no more bent rims.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts