Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Lawrence
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone had any problems with there Reynolds Assault Carbon Clincher's lately?? Our team has a pro deal with Fuji and several of my teammates including myself purchased the SL1 and it comes with the Reynolds Assault 46mm DV as well as SRAM Red, Ritchey WCS, etc. IT'S HOT!!. http://www.fujibikes.com/Road/CarbonSuperlight/SL-1-Shimano-(1).aspx Anyway I've got 2 teammates who both had overheating issues while descending. Both times the wheels completely warped and the carbon fiber cracked!! VERY DANGEROUS!

Has anyone had this issue? I'm about to contact Reynolds about it...

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
No, not that issue. I just found the rear build to be sub-par. But I haven't driven them hard descending.

What pads? the Reynolds or were you using 3rd parties like SwissStop yellows?

Let us know with a followup post how Reynolds intends to handle this, please. From what I understand the Assault rims are the prior year DV46s. I haven't heard this issue happening to any of those. Bad batch? Change in design/build? Please keep us posted.

thanks
zac

·
Lawrence
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Zac,

Fuji delivers the bikes with SwissStop pads...That being said, the first incident happened with the SwissStops...so my teammate switched to the KOOL STOPS...Same thing happened, so it's definitely not the pads...

I agree I think its a bad batch of wheels...sub par carbon fiber.

I'm gonna contact them ASAP...I'll keep you posted.

·
Registered
662 Posts
Any idea on how long before the brake problems appeared? Was it right away or after ?? miles of using the brakes really hard?

·
Lawrence
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
pretty much right away...the descents where technical as well as steep and it happened while breaking and when the rims started to heat up...

·
The Wanderer
536 Posts
Very strange. I've used mine (w/Swiss Stop Yellows) in races all through the Italian Alps and have had no problems while descending (other than some squealing). No doubt something like that would be covered under warranty, but very scary/disturbing when it happens, twice. Let us know what Reynolds says...

·
Registered
392 Posts
Friend of mine with Roval carbons just had the same thing happen a few weeks ago. after a long descent, the wheels just delaminated and fell apart when he stopped at the bottom.

·
Banned
3,305 Posts
Yes, this has happened several times to friends of mine.

Reynolds wheels are fantastic, but carbon fiber wheels are not exactly the best choice for high-speed technical descents involving lots of braking.

One friend melted his at Everest Challenge.

Awesome wheels though.

·
Registered
586 Posts
FondriestFan said:

Reynolds wheels are fantastic, but carbon fiber wheels are not exactly the best choice for high-speed technical descents involving lots of braking.

Awesome wheels though.
I agree. They are great wheels. Descending on full carbon clinchers can be a bit scary. My wheelset doesn't get that hot. But also I rarely tap my brakes on a descent. I too am using Swissstop Yellow pads and they have been a really good pad for my wheelset. Keep us posted how Reynolds handles the situation.

·
likes shiny bikes
1,109 Posts
I had 2 sets of DV46C Assaults. The issues I experienced involved the braking surface warping on the front wheel of one of the wheels. Reynolds replaced the rim without issue. I also blew one spoke (twice) on the other front wheel.

IMHO the weakest link in this wheelset are the hubs. They are heavy, noisy, clunky and need to be maintenanced often to keep them tuned. I even went to the expense of installing ceramic bearings to see if that might alleviate the issue.

To anyone considering this wheelset, I'd recommend they step up to the UL's, they have upgraded DT Swiss 240 hubs and lighter/stronger uni-directional carbon rims. I have since sold both of the Reynolds Assault DV46C's and upgraded to 2 sets of Edge Composite 38c & 45c / American Classic / Sapim CX Ray blk.

For approx. the same cost as the UL's, the Edge Comps are in a whole 'nother league.

·
Registered
301 Posts
A guy I rode with yesterday had those rims and had two blow-outs. One off a steep descent, I think his tire got too hot, or that is what he said it was. Lucky for him it happened at the bottom of the descent because it would have been worse on the turns. After seeing that and reading this, there is no way I would buy those wheels.

·
The Wanderer
536 Posts
slamy said:
A guy I rode with yesterday had those rims and had two blow-outs. One off a steep decent, I think his tire got too hot, or that is what he said it was. Lucky for him it happened at the bottom of the descent because it would have been worse on the turns. After seeing that and reading this, there is no way I would buy those wheels.
This could happen with any rim with a carbon braking surface...could be that some people just don't know how to manipulate their brakes while descending with carbon rims. Like I said, I've used mine in the mountains without a problem.

OTOH, my hubs are not noisy either and at 1508 grams (Reynolds advertises them at 1525 grams) I don't find the hubs to add that much weight to the wheelset. Would DT 240's make a better/lighter wheelset? Of course...I'd take a pair of Edge 45c with Sapim CX-Ray's and Tune hubs for $1,000 anyday, but for the money, my experience with the Reynolds KT hubs have been good. For the price, you'll be hard pressed to find a better full carbon clincher wheelset with the same level of customer service Reynolds offers. That's my plug:thumbsup:

·
Registered
5,347 Posts
FondriestFan said:

Really? I am suprised since the descents there are not very technical.

·
Banned
3,305 Posts
ericm979 said:
Really? I am suprised since the descents there are not very technical.
You must not have been going fast enough.

·
likes shiny bikes
1,109 Posts
kyler2001 said:
This could happen with any rim with a carbon braking surface...could be that some people just don't know how to manipulate their brakes while descending with carbon rims. Like I said, I've used mine in the mountains without a problem.

OTOH, my hubs are not noisy either and at 1508 grams (Reynolds advertises them at 1525 grams) I don't find the hubs to add that much weight to the wheelset. Would DT 240's make a better/lighter wheelset? Of course...I'd take a pair of Edge 45c with Sapim CX-Ray's and Tune hubs for $1,000 anyday, but for the money, my experience with the Reynolds KT hubs have been good. For the price, you'll be hard pressed to find a better full carbon clincher wheelset with the same level of customer service Reynolds offers. That's my plug:thumbsup:
Q) How many miles do you have on your DV46C Assaults?
Agreed, this could happen to any carbon braking surfaced wheel but we are focused on the DV46C Assaults and there appears to be a growing number of similar complaints concerning warping & over-heating. Easy to blame it on OE... You a lawyer? If so, Reynolds can use you :rolleyes:

I never had any of these issues with my Zipp 404T's or my Bora Ultra's and I'm definitely not having any of these problems with my Edge Comps.
Agreed, the DV46C's are a bargain at $1K. Can't touch that price point for a "decent" carbon clincher. This is my point; You get what you pay for in wheelsets of any design or material. IMHO, you need to pay more to get more from a high end carbon wheelset and these wheels are problematic due to the fact that Reynolds cut too many corners to reach that price point, including mid-grade composites and generic Taiwanese hubs.
Why else would they have released the DV46C UL shortly there after?

Advise to all who use these wheels daily: Keep An Eye On Them
Not on my race bike, especially where I live/ride. NorCal/Bay Area.
YMMV, but what do I know...? Masters Cat 2, 30+ years of road racing.

·
Registered
5,347 Posts
FondriestFan said:
You must not have been going fast enough.
I wasn't trying to insult you or your friend, so there is no need to get defensive.

I am genuinely puzzled that someone would have brake heat related problems, since EC's descents require very little braking.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts