Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3,182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a set of Reynolds Assault wheels with about 2000 miles on them. Should the rear wheel require any maintenance at this point? It rolls fine (when spinning hand, the weight of the valve stem and computer magnet will still result in momentum pushing the wheel over for another 3/4 revolution) but it's probably my imagination, but the hub seems to be a little louder than before when coasting....started to think so the last two rides. Thoughts???

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
hub maybe louder, but it doesn't require maint... they may have used a thin lube at the factory at the ratchet and that has come off.... not a concern - do not apply lube here unless you are an experienced wrench - it can cause the pawls to stick and the hub to fail to engage... leave it unless there are problems.

check if there is hub play at the axle back and forth of any kind - then be concerned.... with sealed cartridge bearings - run them until the bearings go bad! - should be a while more than 2k before you need to pay attention to this...

I would recommend every 5k or 6mo, whichever is first - to go around your wheel and squeeze all the spokes to make sure they are about the same tension (don't be too pedantic, just make sure one isn't significantly more loose than the others) - check rim true, check for cracks, check hub axle for play - spin wheel, listen and feel for roughness at the bearings - that's it. Should take a minute while you're cleaning and lubing your chain, checking brake alignment and wear etc

·
Just one more switchback
237 Posts
bearings

How are the bearings on those wheels? I am considering getting a set but two people have told me the hubs are low quality. I may just buy a set and replace the bearings with a higher quality or maybe even ceramic.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts