Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm getting a new bike, and decided on everything apart from the wheels. Any advice on the matter would be appriciated! By the way, my sir name is Reynolds, so they have an advantage!

·
Registered
313 Posts
When you guys reply to this - would you mind adding in weight restraints, etc? I've read where some wheels won't withhold riders that exceed 180 lbs, etc.

I too have been doing some research on this. I was leaning towards the Reynolds, but I'd read several reviews where folks were having issues with the spokes breaking after a couple of hundred miles. I'm hoping that's since been rectified........

·
Carbon Fiber = Explode!
3,438 Posts
You'd be happy with either. Personally I like Mavic hubs more than anyone in the business ceramic or not.

My cheap Cosmos hubs run smoother than anything I've ridden from Shimano, Formula, or Easton.

Can't speak for Reynolds, but Mavic's not big yellow for nothing.

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
Two different wheels.

The Assault is a moderately lightweight (1525g) all carbon clincher. Very good rim, very good spokes, generic house brand hub. The rims are essentially the prior year Reynolds DV46 top offerings. The hubs are serviceable. I had to rebuild my rear wheel after just a ride or two. It is a bit flexy, but not overly so. Makes a good all around aero wheelset for a very reasonable price. I believe the 09 model has worked out the spoke/hub issues.

The Mavic Cosmic Carbone SLR is a very different wheel. It is an aluminum rim with a "carbon" faring. It has rim to rim carbon spokes and a Mavic hub. Mavic makes unbelievably silky smooth hubs. The rim is essentially the same as used in its world famous Carbone SL SSC just a little lighter, as such very very strong, but not so light. The reported weight is ~1650 grams, I would suspect maybe a bit more. My SL SSCs were approaching 1800, so significantly heavier than the Assaults. I have yet to ride the SLR so cannot comment on their stiffness, by if anything like my SL SSCs, they are a better wheel than the Assaults, just heavier.

The SLR is also significantly more expensive than the Assault which can be found for under $1000. If you are looking for comparably priced wheels I would go for the Mavic Cosmic Carbone SL or try and find a set of the SL SSCs. Both of which you can find for the same or less than the Assaults, and IMHO a better wheelset.

I am ~160lbs and use a pair of 09 Assaults as an everday wheelset. They are okay, not bad actually, but certainly not great. The Cosmic Carbones on the other hand are a great everyday wheelset.

HTH
zac

1 - 4 of 4 Posts