Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know these questions come up a lot, I'm sorry for asking. I did search and a lot of the results are from 2009. So, unless I missed some reviews, I would like some more current feedback.

My goal is to have a wheel that I can do a crit race in. There is a local crit race once a year I would like to try. My main focus is triathlons, but I don't want the weight of deep wheels. I'll just buy a disc for the back wheel for triathlons. Also will use the wheels for 'everyday' rides, except back wheel. I have a powertap training wheel.

I weight 195 to 200 so I need a higher spoke count than some of the crazy light wheels. The reynolds support say their wheels can handle it no problem and HED stallion build is also good.

I'm really looking for which wheel would be a better investment. The HED's are $150 more than Reynolds. The HED's have aluminum rim/braking, which I know some people say is better (I guess it depends on brake pads). HED's are slightly heavier than Reynolds.

Thanks everyone.

·
Registered
364 Posts
+1 For the Heds

Before all the custom wheel voters start chiming in, I'm going to put in a plug for the Heds. I haven't ridden the Reynolds so I can't speak for them, but I currently race on Jet 6's and love them, especially for crits. The wider C2 rim really does seem more comfortable and corners very well. I feel more stable on them with cornering and fast downhills. I also do some tris and TT's on the Jet's and have an aero disc cover from wheelbuilder.com which I have been very impressed with (plus the $1200+ cost savings over a real disc is very nice!). Not to mention that while I am a lightweight rider, I've hit some serious potholes without any damage so they do seem pretty durable and worthy of training on.
Good luck in your search!

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I just noticed there is a 'wheel's section in the forums. Having a bazzillion posts on MTBR I should have known. Oops. Maybe I should x-post this

Thanks for feedback on HED's. Reading posts from 2009 sounds like HED quality wasn't all that great back then.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.