Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was thinking of switching to a carbon handlebar and was wondering if anyone has experience with the new Reynolds Pro carbon handlebar or Pro-anatomic carbon bar. They seem to be priced reasonably. Any other suggestions on reliable and "reasonably" priced carbon bars would be appreciated. I want something that is comfortable and has a reach of around 85mm and a drop around 145mm. The zipp bars look nice but the dimensions are not what I am looking for.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi tourdreamer,

http://www.gottaridebikes.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=SFNT

I found this website and ordered a Reynolds Ouzo Pro Race stem from them and was completely satisfied with the service. They also sell the handlebars we are interested in. I am still not sure though if I want to get the non-anatomic version. It appears as though they are entirely covered in clear coat and I don't want them to slip in the stem or the shift levers to slip on the bar. Does anyone out there have any thoughts on whether this will be a problem?

FYI, the Reynolds stem I got is very nice. I recommend this to others. It is similar to the new Ritchey WCS in its 4 bolt clamp.

·
Banned
2,767 Posts
cotocalicyclist said:
Hi tourdreamer,

http://www.gottaridebikes.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=SFNT

I found this website and ordered a Reynolds Ouzo Pro Race stem from them and was completely satisfied with the service. They also sell the handlebars we are interested in. I am still not sure though if I want to get the non-anatomic version. It appears as though they are entirely covered in clear coat and I don't want them to slip in the stem or the shift levers to slip on the bar. Does anyone out there have any thoughts on whether this will be a problem?

FYI, the Reynolds stem I got is very nice. I recommend this to others. It is similar to the new Ritchey WCS in its 4 bolt clamp.
That shouldn't be a problem. Most CF handlebars come w/ the decorative top layer of CF and a clear coat. If it does become a problem, hairspray can help as can dynamic paste which is specifically designed for things like this.

FYI, Ouzo Pro Anatomics aren't like other anatomic bars. They're very similar to the Zipp CF bars with drops that have a progressive radius of curvature. The anatomics also don't have the clear coat or the decorative top layer....just the lusty black continuous fiber matte. Oooooeeeeerrrrrrr.

·
Registered
228 Posts
cotocalicyclist said:
Would you know what the main difference is between the comp and the race? Not really sure if its worth the extra $30 or stainless steel screws. What would be your thought on this? Thanks Paul

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah, I am not sure if I like the finish on the non-anatomic or if I like the shape of the anatomic bars. As alienator points out though, I think the clear coat should be ok even if I have to use hairspray as a fix. Otherwise they seem like great bars and I am really stoked about the shape of the drops. I think I am going to go ahead and give them a try. Will post a review.

As far as I can tell, the only difference between the two stems is the bolts.......although that conclusion was made solely through pictures and info. at Reynolds' website. I agree 30$ seems like a lot for stainless steel treatment. The weights are listed differently though. Could stainless treament result in a 20g weight reduction as claimed? It would be a bummer to have your bolts rust up after a few rides. Can anyone else comment on the difference between the stems/bolts?

Cheers

·
Registered
228 Posts
cotocalicyclist said:
Yeah, I am not sure if I like the finish on the non-anatomic or if I like the shape of the anatomic bars. As alienator points out though, I think the clear coat should be ok even if I have to use hairspray as a fix. Otherwise they seem like great bars and I am really stoked about the shape of the drops. I think I am going to go ahead and give them a try. Will post a review.

As far as I can tell, the only difference between the two stems is the bolts.......although that conclusion was made solely through pictures and info. at Reynolds' website. I agree 30$ seems like a lot for stainless steel treatment. The weights are listed differently though. Could stainless treament result in a 20g weight reduction as claimed? It would be a bummer to have your bolts rust up after a few rides. Can anyone else comment on the difference between the stems/bolts?

Cheers
Looks like I found my answer. The difference is in the aluminum material they use. The higher price uses 7050 series, vs 6061 series.

·
Banned
1,844 Posts
just wondering.......

.....why people pay more money (in many cases a lot more) for carbon bars when they offer little to no weight advantage? My only guess is how they feel and/or reducing road shock and vibration. I use 199's and for the price, I cant beat em.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I think you are right in that the "average" carbon bar offers little or no savings over aluminum bars. The reasons to go to carbon are exactly those you mentioned, feel and vibration damping. Of course there are some carbon bars out there that probably offer little advantage in these areas as well. I have never owned a carbon bar so I figure I might as well try one before I can decide if they are really worth it. Basically, I am not super fond of the angles on the drops of my current Al bar and I like the design of the drops on the Reynolds......they at least look comfy. Time will tell but, it can't hurt to try.

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
Mdeth1313 said:
.....why people pay more money (in many cases a lot more) for carbon bars when they offer little to no weight advantage? My only guess is how they feel and/or reducing road shock and vibration. I use 199's and for the price, I cant beat em.
Because a well made carbon bar of the same weight as the 199 is far stiffer. Light aluminum bars are noodles in my opinion.

·
Registered
36 Posts
divve said:
Because a well made carbon bar of the same weight as the 199 is far stiffer. Light aluminum bars are noodles in my opinion.
Agreed, plus the length of the flats in the drops of the 199 is pretty gimpy, you have to admit. My Easton EC90 Equipe bars are lighter than my Ritchey WCS alu bars, and feel stiffer to me (both 26.0 mm). Not sure about any special damping effect, but stiffer, yes.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Just thought I would comment on switching to a carbon bar in case anyone else is debating this.

I am really surprised and impressed by how nice this CF bar feels. The new Reynolds Ouzo (non-anatomic) CF bar has done for my hands and arms what my CF frame did for my a--.......namely reduced a substantial amount of the road buzz and shock. My old bar was a Deda Newton and I did not like the shape too much but it was still a decent bar. However, until I switched to this new bar I was not aware of how much vibration I was getting through the Newton (31.8mm clamp). This bar now makes my C50 more balanced and complete.......the smooth feel of the back is now matched by the front. The bar is plenty stiff for my 145lbs and is lighter than my Newton. I am really happy with this purchase and would recommend a CF bar upgrade to anyone looking for a little extra comfort. Of course the amount of comfort you gain will depend on what your current bar is like and which CF bar you purchase. Yeah, it wasn't really cheap (220$)....but I have already spent way too much on this bike so why not.

Minor gripes......could have included a cable groove. I also occasionally have a vision/nightmare thought of my bar disintegrating in my hands on a fast downhill. I trust Reynolds but there is definitely that thought at the back of the mind about this. I am sure that concern will fade as I log some more miles on it.

Here are some pics of my setup.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.