Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im looking at getting some everyday aero wheels, the ones that i like the best are the reynolds dv 46 and dv 66, both in the clincher version. I was going to originally get some zipp 404 clinchers but after some research i decided that the reynolds were better. The question is though would a 66mm rim be to much for training and then crit riding. i live in houston, texas so all i have is flats and the wind its bad at all. im just thinking that the dv46 arent really enough of a rim profile to be very aero, am i being crazy?

·
p != b
2,303 Posts
the 66's are definitely more aero - plenty of folks here (UT) ride them in windy crits.

As far as the aero profile, it doesn't take much 'profile' to be aerodynamic - as I understand it, the biggest gains are in the transition from low, box rims (think OP) to 30mm V rims. Deeper rims are faster still, but as the rim gets deeper, the gain (over a somewhat shallower rim) gets less...
ie. op->30mm ~= 60s
30->45mm ~= 30s
45->60mm ~= 20s

If I had all the $$ in the world, and just did windy flat rides, I'd probably lean towards the sdv66.

·
Registered
165 Posts
I'm currently riding (my brother's) Mavic Cosmic Carbones - 50mm wheels in Houston and with a good cross wind I'll notice the deep section, but nothing that's terribly difficult to control - even in group rides. I haven't been caught off guard with a good gust either. Now, perhaps 16mm more might be a big factor, but I'd go with (and am currently considering these two wheels) the DV66. However, the DV46 might be the best of both worlds though with good aero benefits and reasonable cross wind characteristics. How's that for no help?

·
Registered
5,358 Posts
I recently got a set of DV46Cs on WhiteInd hubs. The rim is the hardest to mount tires on that I have encountered. The 'well' between the rim 'hooks' is shallower than on typical aluminum rims. It's noticeable enough that when I took the rims out of the box to show to my wife she said "ooh, you'll have fun mounting tires on those!" She was right.

Reynolds is particular about the brake shoes- only KoolStop carbons or SwissStop yellow pads are allowed. Don't bother with the KoolStops. They do not work well with these rims- poor braking, rapid wear, loud squeals, and chunks of the pad come off! And that was on a fairly level 1.5 hour ride, not a mountain descent.

·
Registered
111 Posts
ericm979 said:
I recently got a set of DV46Cs on WhiteInd hubs. The rim is the hardest to mount tires on that I have encountered. The 'well' between the rim 'hooks' is shallower than on typical aluminum rims. It's noticeable enough that when I took the rims out of the box to show to my wife she said "ooh, you'll have fun mounting tires on those!" She was right.
That is funny. I just put a new Schwalbe Ultremo on a DV46C with just my fingers. Granted I have XXL hands and a pretty strong grip. Maybe its because I have Veloplungs taking up a little less space or it could be just a different tire.

·
Registered
18 Posts
ericm979 said:

Reynolds is particular about the brake shoes- only KoolStop carbons or SwissStop yellow pads are allowed. Don't bother with the KoolStops. They do not work well with these rims- poor braking, rapid wear, loud squeals, and chunks of the pad come off! And that was on a fairly level 1.5 hour ride, not a mountain descent.
If your rims are built to White hubs then they are probably a couple years old or you had them custom built. If they are a couple years old then they probably are hard to mount. The newer (07-08) rims are much easier to mount as Reynolds made some changes.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I was looking at the same choice as the original poster. DV or SDV. I took a slightly different route and more expensive one than most. I chose the MV32's as my climbing and all around wheel. This gives you a semi aero wind that will not cause problems with the wind. Some descents here in a cross wind can be pretty ugly. If you want a less expensive route you can go with the Reynolds Attacks. Once I got the MV's, I wanted something deeper than the DV's.

Then I chose the SDV's as my aero high profile wheel. It's still light enough than my previous wheels where I can climb on them and do everything else.

My default choice of wheels are the MV's but if it is going to be a fast paced group ride, road race or TT then the SDV's get pulled out.

You can't go wrong with either the DV or SDV.

S

·
Registered
392 Posts
I've had the DV46C for about 500 miles now. They seem to be more cross wind affected than my Ksyrium ES. I'm using the DV46C for all around riding. They stop much better (Swissstop yellows) in the dry than the Ksyrium but I have not had the opportunity try them in the wet. The Ksyriums don't stop well in the wet with either Koolstops or DuraAce pads.

I've been tempted to get a set of MV32C for general riding and use the DV46C only when I think I need the extra speed on the flats.

·
Registered
5,358 Posts
gk02 said:
If your rims are built to White hubs then they are probably a couple years old or you had them custom built. If they are a couple years old then they probably are hard to mount. The newer (07-08) rims are much easier to mount as Reynolds made some changes.
Custom built on new rims.

The tires are new Pro2s, that probably has something to do with it. Pro2's are kind of tight but not THAT tight. I used thin Zipp rimstrips but they're not as thin as Rox. I'll use those next time.

·
Registered
18 Posts
ericm979 said:
Custom built on new rims.

The tires are new Pro2s, that probably has something to do with it. Pro2's are kind of tight but not THAT tight. I used thin Zipp rimstrips but they're not as thin as Rox. I'll use those next time.
Yeah, Michelins are usually very hard to mount compared to some others(maxxis). If you are having a hard time mounting these, you would have really been mad had you bought them before they made the change:)

·
Registered
18 Posts
a trick you could try is heating the tire so it stretches and expands a little. Either throw it in the oven for a couple minutes to warm it up or throw it out in the sun for a while.

The carbon rim wont expand or contract due to temperature but the tire will so if you heat it up it should go on easier.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.