Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Banned
2,767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so Reynolds uses White Industries hubs in their wheels. The question is, then, which hub is it? Will they be using the new H1 hubs? Are they the old LTA's? Or are they a spec hub that White sells to wheel manufacturers?

Anyone ever tear apart, say, a set of Stratus DV's and weigh the hubs? I can't imagine that they're as light as the H1's. Better yet, wouldn't those DV or DV-UL rims looks just spiffy with some CX-Rays and black Tune hubs? I wonder how much weight could be carved off the DV's or DV-UL's.....

Ligero.....? Ergott......? Bueller.....?

·
Registered
838 Posts
Reynolds was using White Industries hubs in their wheels and they were the LTA model.
They were not a low quality version, it was the same hubs that you could buy at a bike shop. About a year ago Reynolds starting making a knock off of the White hubs in Taiwan and said it was because their was problems with the White Ind hubs. Shortly after starting to use the cheaper hubs the Reynolds wheels started breaking spokes alot. I was told they finally figured out the non drive side flange had been made with the wrong angle and was putting alot of stress at the spoke heads.

If you were to get a pair and have them rebuilt with Tune hubs you would save around a hundred grams and about 60 grams if you used the new H1 hubs.

·
Banned
2,767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you, sir. I think I'll wait for WI to let a few of their rims out of the shop, 'cuz a set of their rims matched to Tune hubs sounds might nice.

·
Air Force
280 Posts
alienator said:
Ok, so Reynolds uses White Industries hubs in their wheels. The question is, then, which hub is it? Will they be using the new H1 hubs? Are they the old LTA's? Or are they a spec hub that White sells to wheel manufacturers?

Anyone ever tear apart, say, a set of Stratus DV's and weigh the hubs? I can't imagine that they're as light as the H1's. Better yet, wouldn't those DV or DV-UL rims looks just spiffy with some CX-Rays and black Tune hubs? I wonder how much weight could be carved off the DV's or DV-UL's.....

Ligero.....? Ergott......? Bueller.....?

The only thing is that you can't get the H1's in a 16 front 20 rear spoke count. I have all ready tried to get them in low spoke counts to lace them up to a pair of Lew rims that were on ebay. But the lowest they go is 18 and 24. I would love to see the H1's on the 2006 DV-UL's but looking at their web site the 06's still may have the Taiwan LTA hubs.

I run a pair of LTA's on a pair of 32 hole Mavic Reflex tubular rims for tranning and racing and plan on using White hubs on any race wheels that I get or build. They are 3 cross front and rear and still weigh 1450 grams.

I did see a web site that would build a set of Zipp 303 rims to the H1's with the CX- Ray spokes for $1300 but they only came in 28 spoke front and rear. But the Nimble rims look like the right rims to use for about $900 for the wheelset is more in my price range with the H1 hubs so cheap at superspokes.com for $289.

·
Registered
838 Posts
SEK82089 said:
The only thing is that you can't get the H1's in a 16 front 20 rear spoke count. I have all ready tried to get them in low spoke counts to lace them up to a pair of Lew rims that were on ebay. But the lowest they go is 18 and 24. I would love to see the H1's on the 2006 DV-UL's but looking at their web site the 06's still may have the Taiwan LTA hubs.

I run a pair of LTA's on a pair of 32 hole Mavic Reflex tubular rims for tranning and racing and plan on using White hubs on any race wheels that I get or build. They are 3 cross front and rear and still weigh 1450 grams.

I did see a web site that would build a set of Zipp 303 rims to the H1's with the CX- Ray spokes for $1300 but they only came in 28 spoke front and rear. But the Nimble rims look like the right rims to use for about $900 for the wheelset is more in my price range with the H1 hubs so cheap at superspokes.com for $289.
You can get them in 16 and 20h drillings if you are willing to wait. I had asked about getting a 16h H1 and was told that they would drill one for me on their next production run if I needed it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts