Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Dr. Flats a lot
740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Spoke broke on my Attack ft wheel right under the threads. No impact, it just snapped. Have some decent miles on them, but it's the second one to break. The first broke after a month of use right as I crossed the finish line during a sprint. It seems like the recessed nipple is stressing the spoke right where it comes out of the rim. Anyone else having this problem? With racing coming up I don't want these things breaking on me.

·
Registered
832 Posts
Have the spoke-tension checked. Either at your LBS, or a friend who has a tension-meter. Spokes don't just break for no reason, and being over-tensioned is a good reason to break. The standard window for spoke-tension is between 90 and 130Kgf (kilograms-force). The higher for heavier loads.

Good luck.

·
Dr. Flats a lot
740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
they're factory built. it's just a weird place to break. I know the old reynolds used to break spokes like mad, but I figured they had sorted it out. Apparently when reynolds was building the rims for roval they put a brass washer under the nipple to distribute the stress and did not have the problem. Would hate to rebuild the wheels to put little brass washers in there. they are a biitch to build and I have 3 sets of them.

·
Registered
4,103 Posts
zoikz said:
It seems like the recessed nipple is stressing the spoke right where it comes out of the rim.
My first guess would be that the spokes are not properly stress-relieved. On center-drilled rims like these I even bend the spoke above the nipple so that the spoke enters the rim at a better angle. Else you will get a significant bending load right where the spoke exists the nipple... which is threaded and much weaker than the rest of the spoke. The bending load will fluctuate as you ride the wheel, and it will eventually fatigue.

·
Registered
370 Posts
rruff said:
My first guess would be that the spokes are not properly stress-relieved. On center-drilled rims like these I even bend the spoke above the nipple so that the spoke enters the rim at a better angle. Else you will get a significant bending load right where the spoke exists the nipple... which is threaded and much weaker than the rest of the spoke. The bending load will fluctuate as you ride the wheel, and it will eventually fatigue.

exactly my thought - you can generally look at the spokes and see if they have been bent/eased to properly stress relieved. If they are not the spokes comes out of the rim with a slight curvature.

·
Registered
586 Posts
I'm not sure how many miles you had on the wheelset prior to the breakage, but I know that spoke fatigue could be the culprit. It happens to the best of wheelsets after long hard miles. Do you have the Reynolds Reassurance Plan? If you do, they replace that kind of stuff in a jiffy.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts