Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have narrowed a new choice down to the following wheels at approx. same weight & price point. I want to clinchers but the major tradeoff for road racing between these two appears to be:

Strike - Deeper Dish = More Aero but Carbon brake surfaces

Cosmic - Shallower = Less Aero with normal AL brake surfaces

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
59 Posts
I too am looking at the Cosmic Carbone SL vs Reynolds Attack/Assault for the past couple of days. I am currently leaning towards the SL mainly because of the fact that is has a standard aluminum rim/brake surface. The Reynolds look nicer IMO but my research seem to show that the SL may be more durable/dependable.

·
Registered
388 Posts
I ride a carbone rear just because I got it cheap. I like it..It is really an aluminum rim with a carbon deep section...not a carbon wheel...seems that the strikes might be all carbon but idk...

with my carbone I dont worry about bumping it around some...I think you would have to bang it just as hard to destroy it as a regular alu wheel...but i dont plan on trying. I also cant speak for the set just the rear. good luck.

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
Carbone SL, it is a better wheel IMO. By better I mean, it is aero at 52mm, will not be as sketchy in a cross wind, similar weight to the Strike, less expensive, and a much better hub. Plus I think you get some nice goodies such as wheelbags along with the wheels.

I have a set of Assaults which are essentially the Strikes just with a lower profile rim (46 as opposed to 66mm), and had a set of the Cosmic Carbone SL SSC (which are essentially the same wheel as the new SL) The SL SSC where a better wheelset.

Why did I get the Reynolds Assaults? I wanted to try something different.

Anyway good luck, you probably won't be disappointed with either set though.

zac

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
serious humour said:
How are the Swiss stop yellows on looong descents?
I haven't burnt mine, but there have been reports of some issues with the Reynolds carbon wheels, there is a thread on it in here somewhere.

Set them up properly, keep your rims clean, keep the pad surfaces from getting glazed and you should be fine.

I use either the SS yellows or the Reynolds carbon specific pads (which some, more knowledgeable than I, have indicated are the same pads, just different colors. But, I don't think they are. That being said, I am basing my opinion simply on feel and sound which seems different between the two.)

zac

·
Registered
59 Posts
Well, I ended up getting the Cosmic Carbone SL SSC's since they were discounted being last year's model. I compared the weight (rear wheels) of the SL SSC vs 2009 SL's at the shop and the 2009 SL's were 40 grams lighter. The SSC looked more polished though with a clear coat on the carbon that made it shinier than the 2009 SLs. The SSC's also came with wheel bags, the SL's didn't.

I can't wait to try these out...

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
cyclocommuter said:
Well, I ended up getting the Cosmic Carbone SL SSC's since they were discounted being last year's model. I compared the weight (rear wheels) of the SL SSC vs 2009 SL's at the shop and the 2009 SL's were 40 grams lighter. The SSC looked more polished though with a clear coat on the carbon that made it shinier than the 2009 SLs. The SSC's also came with wheel bags, the SL's didn't.

I can't wait to try these out...
You will love 'em, one of the best wheels I have ever used. I think the difference is cosmetic, Ti skewers and some Ti bits in the hubs and that accounts for the miniscule 40gr difference.

If I come by another set for a good price I would get them in a heartbeat.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts