Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Cross Bike Collector.....
1,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Question for you Portland/Seattle crossers? Which is better in the NW Slop? I've a pair of Grifo's and would like to add a second wheelset with a different style tread..... :confused:
I could use some help deciding as these two are about the same price. Anybody used either of these, or both?
Any help is appreciated....

·
Registered
635 Posts
Phat&SlowVelo said:
Question for you Portland/Seattle crossers? Which is better in the NW Slop? I've a pair of Grifo's and would like to add a second wheelset with a different style tread..... :confused:
I could use some help deciding as these two are about the same price. Anybody used either of these, or both?
Any help is appreciated....
For NW slop, especially off camber greasy grass, Rhino's are hands down the best. Atmo. They do roll a bit slower than the Grifo tread pattern so I only use them when its slippery out.

DP

·
Cross Bike Collector.....
1,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks DPCX

DPCX said:
For NW slop, especially off camber greasy grass, Rhino's are hands down the best. Atmo. They do roll a bit slower than the Grifo tread pattern so I only use them when its slippery out.

DP
Have you tried the SSC? I know guys like the casing, but how's the tread pattern in the slop? I haven't heard much about FMB's in real mud conditions?

·
Registered
635 Posts
Phat&SlowVelo said:
Have you tried the SSC? I know guys like the casing, but how's the tread pattern in the slop? I haven't heard much about FMB's in real mud conditions?
I've only ridden the Rhino's (32's & 34's) & I also have a Dugast/Mich Mud tread that I use for a front. I havent heard much about the FMB's in the mud either. Anyone care to chime in on them??

·
Registered
16 Posts
I rode FMB SSC both days at the PDX USGP finals. Being from back east I haven't had a ton of racing in that much mud. So it was a good test as far as what worked for me. I tried 32s on my first warm up and didn't like them and switched to the 34s I'd been using all season. I thought they rode great. Good balance of speed and grip. They were stable and shed mud well. That said I did get a set of 32 rhynos for this season just to get that extra edge in the offcambers and turns.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.