Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So Ricco's admitted to doping... thank you Captain Obvious!
http://www.cyclingnews.com/news.php?id=news/2008/jul08/jul30news3

Yet his reasoning is about as clear as the The Chewbacca defense... Who takes EPO just for fun?

"After the Giro, I had no plans to go to the Tour, and that is why I have taken the substance," Riccò said. "I made a mistake of youth."

·
Registered
8,252 Posts
Well, at least he's admitting there are still issues with the drug testing being done:

Riccò has withdrawn his request to have a counter-analysis done on the B-sample, but said that the testing procedure needed some work. "Of the 10 controls taken, only two were positive. In theory all the tests should have been positive, therefore the method needs to be checked," he said.
Only a 20% success rate in catching somebody who was admittedly doping before the tour and if the test were reliable they should have caught him earlier in the process.

If the tests are only 20% successful then there could be many more in the race that didn't turn a positive, but were using. They just were not caught due to good masking agents, better doctors, etc.

If the sport wants to be clean, it still has a long, long, long way to go. The problem is it never will be clean...but I guess that's a different topic :D

·
Registered
11,561 Posts
Iwannapodiumgirl said:

Yet his reasoning is about as clear as the The Chewbacca defense... Who takes EPO just for fun?

"After the Giro, I had no plans to go to the Tour, and that is why I have taken the substance," Riccò said. "I made a mistake of youth."
Not to mention, they've stated they already knew he was taking the stuff at the Giro.

·
Registered
11,561 Posts
Wookiebiker said:
Only a 20% success rate in catching somebody who was admittedly doping before the tour and if the test were reliable they should have caught him earlier in the process.

If the tests are only 20% successful then there could be many more in the race that didn't turn a positive, but were using. They just were not caught due to good masking agents, better doctors, etc.
When they establish the positive criteria for these tests they are heavily weighted in the favor of the athletes, that is, they have a low sensitivity and therefore yeild many false negatives.

The price you pay for high sensitivity is a higher rate of false positives.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I think a lifetime ban is the only way to stop the drug use in sports. all sports! you do drugs you get banned. simple.

ps Wookiebiker great job on the weight loss how did you do it?

·
Registered
4,838 Posts
Iwannapodiumgirl said:

this thread is so heading to the doping forum.
\

·
What offseason?
534 Posts
jorgy said:
He could have been like Mayo and requested the B sample tested & then get lucky when WADA screwed it up.
Do you see Mayo racing anywhere? Mayo doped, very little question about that, but WADA didn't screw anything up. The UCI got a questionable result on the B sample, so they sent it to another lab, then another (the same lab that produced the original positive) to get the result they wanted on the B sample. In lieu of that, his sample was considered a positive test, but the Spanish cycling authority declined to suspend him... yet you don't see him racing... no one seems to be interested in toying with the wrath of the UCI by signing him.

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
Cyclo-phile said:
Ummm, an A positive is only considered suspect until confirmed by a B. I agree with the rest of your post.
Test of a B sample is optional, done only at the request of the athlete. Ricco has reportedly determined he will not take advantage of this option.

JSR

·
More cowbell!
2,729 Posts
186.​

Upon receipt of an A Sample Adverse Analytical Finding, the Anti-Doping Commission shall conduct a review to determine whether: (a) an applicable Therapeutic Use Exemption has been granted, or (b) there is any apparent departure from these Anti-Doping Rules, the Procedural Guidelines or the International Standards for Testing or laboratory analysis that undermines the validity of the Adverse Analytical Finding.

If the initial review under article 186 does not reveal an applicable Therapeutic Use Exemption or departure from these Anti-Doping Rules, the Procedural Guidelines, the International Standard for Testing or the International Standard for laboratory analysis in force at the time of Testing or analysis that undermines the validity of the Adverse Analytical Finding, the Anti-Doping Commission shall promptly notify the Rider’s National Federation of: (a) the Adverse Analytical Finding; (b) the antidoping rule violated, or a description of the additional investigation that will be conducted as to whether there is an anti-doping rule violation; (c) the Rider’s right to promptly request the analysis of the B Sample or, failing such request, that the B Sample analysis shall be deemed waived; (d) the right of the Rider and/or the Rider’s representative to attend the B Sample opening and analysis if such analysis is requested; and (e) the Rider’s right to request copies of the A and B Sample laboratory documentation package which includes information as required by the International Standard for laboratory analysis.

·
haole from the mainland
5,966 Posts
gray8110 said:
Do you see Mayo racing anywhere? Mayo doped, very little question about that, but WADA didn't screw anything up. The UCI got a questionable result on the B sample, so they sent it to another lab, then another (the same lab that produced the original positive) to get the result they wanted on the B sample. In lieu of that, his sample was considered a positive test, but the Spanish cycling authority declined to suspend him... yet you don't see him racing... no one seems to be interested in toying with the wrath of the UCI by signing him.
I think you kinda missed my point--which is that WADA's testing is unarguably spotty (and the UCI doesn't do any testing). Mayo's case is an example of that. Ricco could have rolled the dice with his B sample.

·
What offseason?
534 Posts
jorgy said:
I think you kinda missed my point--which is that WADA's testing is unarguably spotty (and the UCI doesn't do any testing). Mayo's case is an example of that. Ricco could have rolled the dice with his B sample.
I got your point - I was saying it wouldn't have done him any good to force a B-sample unless the B-Sample was unequivocally clear - Mayo's situation proves it. Mayo was cleared by the spanish federation - he's not riding. Ricco would be in the same boat if the B-test were botched in the same manner.

And no, WADA didn't perform the testing. The Tour's tests were performed by the French National Anti-Doping Agency (AFLD). Whether the UCI normally conducts testing or no, <a href="http://www.velonews.com/article/70913">they were the entity</a> that sought to reanalyze Mayo's B-Sample after it had questionable results at the first lab.

·
haole from the mainland
5,966 Posts
gray8110 said:
I got your point - I was saying it wouldn't have done him any good to force a B-sample unless the B-Sample was unequivocally clear - Mayo's situation proves it. Mayo was cleared by the spanish federation - he's not riding. Ricco would be in the same boat if the B-test were botched in the same manner.
Depends on what you define as doing any good. I'd argue getting paid and not riding is a helluva lot better than not riding and not getting paid. And from this site, it suggests Mayo is still getting paid by SD and will through 2009.

http://ibanmayoblog.blogspot.com/2008/06/iban-speaks.html

·
Back from the dead
20,800 Posts
gray8110 said:
don't see that as a positive. If you are going to take away someone's career, and a chance to earn a living, you had better be damned sure you are right. In the Mayo case, they aren't sure (that's what inconclusive means), and yet he doesn't ride. Doesn't it bother you that they passed around the sample to various labs to get "the result they wanted?" (your exact words). These tests are not supposed to come with predetermined results.

·
What offseason?
534 Posts
mohair_chair said:
don't see that as a positive. If you are going to take away someone's career, and a chance to earn a living, you had better be damned sure you are right. In the Mayo case, they aren't sure (that's what inconclusive means), and yet he doesn't ride. Doesn't it bother you that they passed around the sample to various labs to get "the result they wanted?" (your exact words). These tests are not supposed to come with predetermined results.
I completely agree - just saying that Mayo was cleared by his federation and he's not racing. Apparently his team is even paying him, but something is preventing him from racing and I'm guessing the fact that the UCI considers his result a positive is part of it.

As far as I'm concerned a test that is inconclusive should be inadmissible evidence against the rider and the result is nullified. Mayo had two questionable tests last year, one at the Giro and one at the Tour. It seems the UCI was going out of their way to catch him after he snuck out of the first one.

·
Banned
608 Posts
gray8110 said:
It seems the UCI was going out of their way to catch him after he snuck out of the first one.
That is the way the UCI has decided to "clean" up the sport. They scapegoat a few riders. Some, like Hamilton and Mayo and Vino, are targeted. Others are just unlucky SOBs that fail a test like Landis. They are blackballed and publicly denounced by Pat McQuaid. Meanwhile, McQuaid publicly states that younger riders like Contador and F. Schleck are clean. If the AFLD would not have caught Ricco, McQuaid would be assuring us that Ricco was also clean--or maybe not; what team you are on appears to make a difference.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.