Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://tour-de-france.velonews.com/article/81064/

So will the confession mean the tifosi takes a more lenient view of his mistakes (a la Basso), and an Italian team (oh, say, CF Navigare) signs him up and he's competing as early as the 2010 Giro or 2011 Giro??

·
Yo no fui.
8,486 Posts
Does the four-year Pro Tour ban still apply?

·
Cannot bench own weight
4,298 Posts
Pablo said:
Nope. Which I don't doubt played a small part in the abandonment of the ProTour concept.

I do give Ricco points for coming clean, though he seems to be pulling the "First time I ever did it" scam.

·
Registered
159 Posts

·
Still waiting......
1,322 Posts
Pablo said:
Props to Ricco for at least admitting it instead of making up all sorts of excuses and dragging this thing all the way up to the CAS, which seems to be the American way of dealing with doping allegations.

The additional 2 year ProTour ban question is interesting since there probably won't be a ProTour next year due to the UCI/ASO war. Maybe one of the reasons he confessed is that there may be a window that would allow him to return to the top level in 2 years instead of 4?

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Pablo said:
The UCI ProTour is effectively dead; Liquigas already signed Basso and he will be racing after his two years is up. Check out more Ricco quotes here. http://www.iht.com/articles/reuters/2008/07/30/sports/OUKSP-UK-CYCLING-DOPING-RICCO.php

"Italian media have speculated that because he has now confessed, Ricco may receive a discount to the usual two-year ban for positive tests."

And now Ricco is taking the Millar route of confessing for past sins, and even saying the testing needs to be improved. What chickensh**!

"I came here and I have explained the error I made, I think you all know 13 days ago the position that I was in, I think I have made a good gesture for everyone to have admitted my mistakes," Ricco told reporters. The 24-year-old also warned that testing procedures needed to be looked at. "During the tour they made a lot of tests, they made 10 tests in about 13 legs, two were positive and in fact in theory all the tests should have been positive therefore the method needs to be checked," he said.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
This is dangerous if they let Ricco back in after two years. He knew the risk he was taking and realized as a 23-year old the worst that will happen is he gets back to competing when he's 25. It will mean riders (at least in Italy) can gamble that they don't get caught and, if they do, it's just two years off. We're now in this era of zero tolerance for cheats, you can't let these guys off the hook for two years. If they get busted, they should be banned for life.

·
Registered
58 Posts
What can David Millar say about Ricco now?

Both David Millar and Riccardo Ricco tested positive. Both of them denied doping at first. Both of them later admitted doping, calling it a mistake.

It seems to me that David Millar and Riccardo Ricco occupy the rung on the ladder of morals. I hope not to hear any more damning comments from David Millar about Ricco or anyone else busted for doping.

·
What offseason?
534 Posts
bornin53 said:
Both David Millar and Riccardo Ricco tested positive. Both of them denied doping at first. Both of them later admitted doping, calling it a mistake.

It seems to me that David Millar and Riccardo Ricco occupy the rung on the ladder of morals. I hope not to hear any more damning comments from David Millar about Ricco or anyone else busted for doping.
It doesn't change your overall point, but Millar didn't test positive.

·
Registered
159 Posts
bornin53 said:

Not quite correct. Millar never tested positive. He was busted with EPO on his night-stand or something like that. There were never any tests that showed him on EPO from what I remember reading.

Eric

·
Banned
109 Posts
actually he's pretty smart. Fess up now and profit from it later. If you keep denying then you end up a pariah like Hamilton. He's only 24 and will be back racing again at 26. Garmin - Chipottle can reserve a spot for him now

·
Back from the dead
20,800 Posts
"During the Tour they took a lot of samples (from me), they made 10 tests in about 13 stages, two were positive and in fact in theory all the tests should have been positive therefore the method needs to be checked," he said.
He certainly has a point. If you are testing the same guy 10 times, you should get more than 2 hits.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Pure speculation, but considering he was facing criminal charges in France, the confession could have been part of a deal to avoid prosecution.

As for the negative tests, the few articles about it have all said the concentration has to be pretty high to get a positive. With time the threshold for positives may drop as the testing evolves. FWIW, my personal opinion is that I'd rather see a few beat the test as opposed to getting false positives. JMO, obviously other opinions may differ.

·
Registered
3,245 Posts
mh3 said:
Pure speculation, but considering he was facing criminal charges in France, the confession could have been part of a deal to avoid prosecution..
I hear everybody talking about how long a ban might be. I don't hear anyone talking about a French jail term. Are some of these guys that got cought during the Tour going to jail?

·
Back from the dead
20,800 Posts
jd3 said:
I hear everybody talking about how long a ban might be. I don't hear anyone talking about a French jail term. Are some of these guys that got cought during the Tour going to jail?
I don't believe the French law made doping illegal. I believe it has more to do with importing or having possession of certain drugs without a prescription. Essentially it puts doping drugs into the same category as illegal narcotics such as cocaine or heroin, which means you can be penalized for possession and trafficking.

So just like getting caught while high on drugs is a whole different ballgame than getting caught selling or possessing drugs, Ricco probably won't have too much of a French legal problem. Moises Duenas, on the other hand, supposedly had a "small pharmacy" with him when he was busted. It will be interesting to see what happens to him.

·
Adorable Furry Hombre
32,352 Posts
mohair_chair said:
I don't believe the French law made doping illegal. I believe it has more to do with importing or having possession of certain drugs without a prescription. Essentially it puts doping drugs into the same category as illegal narcotics such as cocaine or heroin, which means you can be penalized for possession and trafficking.

So just like getting caught while high on drugs is a whole different ballgame than getting caught selling or possessing drugs, Ricco probably won't have too much of a French legal problem. Moises Duenas, on the other hand, supposedly had a "small pharmacy" with him when he was busted. It will be interesting to see what happens to him.
Here is what Philippec had to say about it:

http://forums.roadbikereview.com/showpost.php?p=1660308&postcount=55
http://forums.roadbikereview.com/showpost.php?p=1660492&postcount=81

·
Registered
3,245 Posts
It will be interesting to see if any of these guys do get jail time. That could step the game up to a whole new level.

·
Banned
169 Posts
mohair_chair said:
He certainly has a point. If you are testing the same guy 10 times, you should get more than 2 hits.

He is questioning the validity of the testing in a round about way...and he also telling the other riders that he screwed up on his dosing and took too much. The message is very clear to the docs, sojourners and riders>>>the test can be beat just don't screw up.

The reason they even scored two hits has to do with his mistakes, re: dosing of the CERA.
If dosing is done correctly they CANNOT catch you. If the testing can detect "any" amount of CERA then he would have been popped in all the controls.

He wasn't the only guy on CERA to make his retics normal while getting "refills" of his own pre frozen packed cells(red cells with no plasma). Some were not using CERA at all.....

"Athletes are using various “biosimilar” EPO agents for which WADA has not yet developed a detection method. WADA’s ballyhooed test for the previously undetectable Mircera (pegylated EPO) was an admission that the already flawed existing EPO test was unable to detect variants of EPO; the announcement of the new CERA (Mircera) test at the 2008 Tour de France was considered a major victory.

There are also dozens of “copycat” or “biosimilar” versions of EPO. These are variants of EPO that are produced by different methods or exist as slightly different biological forms of EPO e.g. darbepoetin alfa, epoetin alfa, epoetin beta, epoetin gamma, epoetin delta, epoetin epsilon, epoetin zeta, epoetin theta, epoetin kappa, epoetin omega. The existence of biosimilar versions of EPO is a major problem for drug testers"

UCI and WADA are not match for the almighty $$$$ and it's quest.....but they are successfully wrecking pro cycling.

Cheers

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.