Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright, I've been trying to figure this out for awhile and read various (and conflicting) reports.

I eat a lot of rice and because of this, want to be eating the best one for me. I'm talking both as a cyclist and as someone who wants to eat a balanced, solid intake of quality foods.

I eat primarily brown basmati rice and also jasmine rice.

I know brown basmati is probably the best for you, correct?

How about jasmine rice? It's white, but I don't think as processed and polished as short grain white rice.

Lim's rice cake recipe calls for sushi rice. I'm guessing this is healthy, but not really sure. And what about arborrio rice?

I need to talk to a rice expert!

Thanks.

·
Registered
21,639 Posts
Brown rice

nayr497 said:
Alright, I've been trying to figure this out for awhile and read various (and conflicting) reports.

I eat a lot of rice and because of this, want to be eating the best one for me. I'm talking both as a cyclist and as someone who wants to eat a balanced, solid intake of quality foods.

I eat primarily brown basmati rice and also jasmine rice.

I know brown basmati is probably the best for you, correct?

How about jasmine rice? It's white, but I don't think as processed and polished as short grain white rice.

Lim's rice cake recipe calls for sushi rice. I'm guessing this is healthy, but not really sure. And what about arborrio rice?
Brown rice (whole grain) has the highest nutrional value. I am NOT a rice expert and so cannot comment on Jasmine or Arborrio rice, but I bet you could find out all you want to know with a simple Google search. I'm guessing you are over thinking this.

As to the sushi rice recommended by Allen Lim, he uses that because it is sticky and therefore works better for his rice cakes. Plus, all he is looking for is a source of carbohydrate, not a complete nutritional package. White rice is less nutrient dense than whole grain rice.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Stick with the brown, most of them are pretty similar in nutrition its just the longer the grain such as basmati; the less starch it will contain. With certain foods or those days I decide to be healthier, I like a multi grain mixture, it usually includes brown rice, wild rice, barley, oats and sometimes lentils or flaxseeds. I don't remember what the differences in calories and protein is but it is higher in fiber and the variety adds a lot more essential minerals.

Any nice brown will be fine the important thing would be the proteins portion of the meal.

·
Registered
5,270 Posts
Kerry Irons said:
As to the sushi rice recommended by Allen Lim, he uses that because it is sticky and therefore works better for his rice cakes. Plus, all he is looking for is a source of carbohydrate, not a complete nutritional package. White rice is less nutrient dense than whole grain rice.
Also you want less fiber to eat on the bike.

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That makes sense about the sushi rice for the cakes.

Okay, I stick with brown Basmati.

I have searched and read and get conflicting reports on Jasmine and Arborrio. I like eating those too.

As for Quinoa - I do eat it sometimes, but suppose I could eat it more often.

As for protein - I think I'm okay. I eat a lot of beans (black, banzos) some fish, and some milk. I have a pretty good muscle mass still from my days of having to lift for college sports. It's just that I eat a lot of rice so want to be eating the best variety possible.

I've also switched to whole grain pasta. It took awhile to get used to it, but now I don't mind it that much. Then again...I don't eat much pasta anymore so maybe the switch was for the best, since I just don't eat as much as I used to!

·
Registered
524 Posts
Not a big fan of whole wheat pasta either, I want to eat good but it has to still taste good. The best compromise I found was Barilla Plus, nutritionally better than the regular pastas but taste the same.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.