·
Lizzie will ride free
3,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Big is relative
11,901 Posts
jplatzner said:
Hey guys, I've got a question about my heart rate while climbing on really long rides, and I had no takers in the racing and training forum. Any of you guys have some ideas? Here's the question:

http://forums.roadbikereview.com/showthread.php?t=60510

Thanks
I have done that ride, but it was back in 1991, I think. I know I did the one day STP that year. I was living in Poulsbo at the time. I didn't have a HRM for either one. I have done the Mt Mitchell ride three times with a HRM. In the 95 Mitchell, I was pulling a team mate to Marion NC where the serious climbing starts. The ride isn't a race, but their is a pride factor to finish with the top riders. Hincapie has done it several times. Anyway, I delivered my teamate to the climb with the front 50 riders so my heart rate was high and had been elevated for three hours. Hitting the climb at around 85%, I quickly figured out that I couldn't sustain that for another 2 or so hours. I found that once I fell into my climbing pace, my heart rate fell to around the 75% point. I can sustain this for very long time. I found myself slowly catching other riders by staying on my own pace. The next year I only rode for myself and tried to make up some time on the climb, didn't work well at all. I guess the bottom line, for a long climb you have to find a maintainable pace/HR that hurts just enough to know that you are working hard without blowing up. Stay in a group as much as possible before the climb, too much time by yourself in the wind will add up. Get some food in you a half hour before starting the big climb. I always liked brownies.

·
Lizzie will ride free
3,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey Bill,

That makes sense. I've got a strong group to start off with. We'll all ride together to the first pass, and then we'll all do our own thing. Heck, working together to the first climb is something like 60 miles, so that's a big help. If I tried to go up the pass at the fast guy pace, I'd blow up. I am so looking forward to the ride.

·
Jerkhard Sirdribbledick
27,062 Posts
I would think this is a question with only a personal answer. Everyone's body is different, as is their comfort level. So there's no magic number. My max HR is 197; I can stay in the 160s all day and I'll be fine. Some people can hammer harder than that, some can't. If you're doing such a tough ride, I would think/hope you've ridden enough to know what your comfort level is. If you haven't ridden enough and don't know your body well enough and are brave enough to attempt the ride (kudos to you), then I would just go easy enough on the climbs to sustain a reasonable pace without feeling like quitting/popping.

It's always a good idea to utilize drafting, etc., when riding in groups, as long as you pull your own weight. :)

·
Lizzie will ride free
3,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, I think I'm good. I have ridden enough to know what my body can do, but I have not spent a bunch of time riding with heart rate monitor. I was wondering if there were more analytical answers to this question that everyone who is more up-to-date would know. I think I'll just try to limit myself to something really conservative, say 155, for the first pass and let it go to 165 on the last pass. That should be well below anything where I blow up.

I think without a monitor, my natural tendency would be to go higher.

Thanks for the comments.

·
Jerkhard Sirdribbledick
27,062 Posts
jplatzner said:
I think without a monitor, my natural tendency would be to go higher.
I agree. That's why I have an HRM, as I tend to push too hard (especially if I'm riding with a group).

Your numbers sound good to me.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.