Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm getting ready for this ride. Any recomendation?
Training, equipment, logistics etc.

Thanks

·
NeoRetroGrouch
6,491 Posts
arieshaked said:
I'm getting ready for this ride. Any recomendation?
Training, equipment, logistics etc.

Thanks
Bring your own support car because I believe that it is totally unsupported. - TF

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
For those who doesnt know what is the ride across Indiana. It is a 161 mile ride on one day.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Full support for RAIN

TurboTurtle said:
Bring your own support car because I believe that it is totally unsupported. - TF
RAIN is supported with rest stops at the 40 mile mark, the 65 mile mark, a full lunch stop at the 90 mile mark and another rest stop at the 130 mile mark. You can easily do the ride without support, but many riders rely on support vehicles if they don't want to stop or have special preferences on the type of food and drinks they want.

You're basically on your own for mechanical problems, so carry your normal supplies and a cell phone in case of emergencies. In 2001, I broke some spokes about 30 miles into the ride and some guy I didn't know pulled over and handed me a Vector Pro front wheel so I could continue.

http://www.bloomington.in.us/~bbc/tours/rain/saginfo.html#top

·
Registered
7 Posts
Do as many long rides as you can.

My brother in-law rode it last year, and plans to do it again this year. I got out of it last year because we were moving, but he's trying to con me into it for this summer. 161 miles is a lot longer than a normal century, so do as many century-plus rides as you can. It is a good idea to have a support car, even though there are sag stations. It all depends on how self-sufficient you are, or want to be.

·
Registered
7 Posts
not-so crazy

... by the way... my BIL said the Indian Crazy factor wasn't too bad. I am a Hoosier as well, so don't flame. I'm not above an honest critique of my "people"... but I've been in Chicago, for 15 years.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
11,979 Posts
When is it? Where does it start/end?

·
Registered
77 Posts
Mr. Versatile said:
When is it? Where does it start/end?
It's July 15. It starts in Terre Haute, IN and ends in Richmond, IN.

Most of the route follows US 40 except you'll go south at Plainfield to route to the southside of Indy instead of going through downtown. It's close to the same route that RAAM takes through the state.

·
Beetpull DeLite
12,748 Posts
crumjack said:
Hey, Hey! We may be crazy but call us Hoosiers. No, we don't know what it means.
Yeah, yeah....I live in Indiana, but don't really consider myself a Hoosier. I'm still a Kentuckian at heart!

·
Resident Curmudgeon
11,979 Posts
Tom said:
It's July 15. It starts in Terre Haute, IN and ends in Richmond, IN.

Most of the route follows US 40 except you'll go south at Plainfield to route to the southside of Indy instead of going through downtown. It's close to the same route that RAAM takes through the state.
Thanks Tom.

·
Government Mule
1,326 Posts
GirchyGirchy said:
Yeah, yeah....I live in Indiana, but don't really consider myself a Hoosier. I'm still a Kentuckian at heart!
No further explanation needed!:)

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
As a Hoosier biker, I've been considering riding the RAIN one of these years. Seems like it might be fun, but a century PLUS a metric in the same day is a LONG way. You can take up to 14hrs (7AM to 9PM) to finish, which would be a low 12 mph ave. (inc. SAG time). I understand that many riders will get together to use the same SAG vehicle (i.e. convince someone's relative to drive a van).

BTW- According to the RAIN website, best times in 2005 were under 6:45 (or a cool 24 mph ave for 160+mi), while other riders took the full 14 hours.

In my book, doing 162mi in a single day is an accomplishment for most cyclists.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts