Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
20,473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lance was partially right...It's not about THE bike. It's about ANY bike..

I was on an extended business trip in New England for the past 2 weeks. On Saturday I drove to Boston to visit some bike shops..I visited the famous Harris Cyclery and Belmont Wheelworks in the western suburbs. I asked the guy at Harris about fixed gear shops and he recommended Cambridge Bikes right across from MIT in Cambridge.

The shop was great but it was 70 degrees in Boston on Jan 6th and I was without a bike. I would have ridden a tricycle if I had to...

I asked the guy at Cambridge how much the old Ross fixed gear was. He replied $185..I said "I'll give you $25.00 to rent it for 2 hours"...After giving my credit card as a deposit, I headed out on my stove pipe 30 lb fixed gear.

I've never been in Boston but I had no trouble navigating the area. I limited myself to Cambridge and the Charles River bike path in Boston...

I've ridden some very nice bikes in my day but it really isn't about the bike. This little Ross fixie helped keep me sane on a day that was too nice not to ride...

I snapped a couple of pictures of my adventure

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
Glad you managed to find a bike, Dave

You did catch some amazing weather. Yesterday morning it was more normal here in CT, about 20, and they're forecasting sleet and freezing rain for Monday (though it sounds like you folks are going to get that stuff first, and probably worse).

·
Bacon!
9,190 Posts
That's awesome they had a bike you could rent for a while like that. Cool. It's 20F out right now and breezy with ice covered roads here. I'll be living on the trainer for the next couple of days. :(

·
Who needs a map?
2,527 Posts
That was a great idea to just offer to rent the bike for awhile. Looks like it was worth it!!

I mentioned to my coworker the other day that I planned on getting in a few rides this weekend. He laughed at me and then showed me the weather forecast - freezing rain and iced over roads don't sound appetizing. Maybe I'll go out before it gets too bad just to show him up.

·
Registered
464 Posts
colder in LA???

Not anymore - woke up this morning and yes, winter is here.

6 degrees and with the windchill, 20 below and that is COLD and no I did not ride today (frostbite is no fun).

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.