Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've been meaning to post about this for a while. There is a bakery out in Gilbertville that is a pretty popular destination for a lot of the cyclists here in central MA.

Serveware Food Cuisine Dishware Dish

When we head out that way we will usually leave from Paxton or Holden. In Paxton on weekends there is plenty of parking at the school in the center of town right off 31. From Holden you can park at the Holden recreational area.

Route from holden:
https://www.strava.com/routes/9061679

Starting in Paxton the ride out is pretty fast, mostly downhill (under 600ft of elevation gain on the way out). 122 has a nice wide shoulder and fairly new pavement. I've done the 21.2 miles out in as little as 50 minutes with a good group. We typically ride back the same way we ride out but if you want to do some climbing you can cut back across with the following route.

https://www.strava.com/routes/9058107

How you get there of course will be different if you are riding from some other part of the state but if you get a chance, the route out on 122/32 is really nice.

The important thing to know is that you will be hard pressed to find better coffee or pastries anywhere. Before my first ride out there I was told it was the best coffee and pastries in MA, which I didn't pay much attention too as I was more interested in the ride itself. That was back in 2014 and I have been going back there ever since, both on the bike and driving with the family (they don't ride). The breads, sandwiches, soups are all excellent as well. If I'm doing a more leisurely ride I'll grab a sandwich but if I'm with a fast group I'll stick to coffee and pastry to avoid seeing it again on the ride back.

Rose32 Bread | Bakery Cafe located in Hardwick MA

https://www.instagram.com/explore/locations/9796906/rose-32-bread/

If you have never been there and are within riding distance I highly recommend putting together a route that goes by the place. Just a heads up, they are only open Thursday through Sunday from 7am to 4/3pm.

From father's day ride with my dad out to Rose32bread (latte and southwestern omelet with cornbread):
Coffee cup Cup Serveware Drinkware Dishware Food Dishware Tableware Serveware Cuisine

·
Registered
9,658 Posts
I'll have to check it out.

I ride North of there quite a bit but haven't made it that far South.
According to google it would be 50 miles from where I generally start rides in that area. So a great bakery half way though a century would be perfect.

·
Registered
985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've used it as a halfway point for a couple centuries. As an added note they have free water in glass bottles in the drink cooler that can be used to refill water bottles.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
It is on my list just have not made there yet. There is a ride called Tour of G'ville listed on ride with gps. I live more west of there and I'm not familiar with the roads listed for that ride. Are they good roads for riding as far as traffic and road conditions?

Thank
Brian

·
Registered
985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Most of my regular riding takes place east of there so I'm not too familiar with the roads west of the Quabbin other than the COVAC century and Greylock century, and then the Kings tour of the Quabbin but In general traffic seems to be less as you head out towards Western MA compared to what it is closer to Worcester/Boston. The roads I have been on are generally pretty good.

Do you have a link to the exact route you had in mind?

·
Registered
985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
The tour of the Quabbin might go over bits of that but I'm not really familiar with those particular roads as a whole though I am familiar with some small segments of that ride. I would expect most of those to be fairly quiet as far as traffic goes as it does a pretty good job of completely avoiding most of the main roads. I can't imagine the road conditions to be an issue. I know right at the center of Gilbertville after crossing the tracks there are some holes to avoid but nothing that gets in the way of the ride.

Looks like a pretty nice route though. It would end up being over 100 miles if I wanted to ride out there, do that loop, and then ride back.

·
Registered
985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Me and my dad rode out there this past Sunday and had a nice Father's day breakfast. Typically I don't eat that much in the middle of a ride but we weren't going too fast and one of the specials of the day was the southwestern omelet I couldn't pass up. I've updated the first post with some pictures.

·
Registered
985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
New Strawberry danish from a couple weeks ago out to the bakery and and a couple old favorites in the apple puff pastry and the coconut macaroon.

Food Ingredient Dish Fast food Maroon Food Cuisine Ingredient Dish Tableware

·
Registered
985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The shorter variation of the route I typically do (42.7 miles) burns about 1400 calories. The 65ish mile version you are in the 2500 range, 80is miles you 3500 and the centuries where I have stopped there were in the 4000+ calorie range. Obviously on the longer rides there is additional calorie intake throughout the ride but I still think I'm burning more than I'm eating. Just make sure you don't try all the pastries on the same ride and you should be ok. ;)

·
Registered
985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Made it out to Rose32 for the first time this year. I was unable to make the group ride that went out earlier in the day because of some errands my wife had me running so I had to rush out there to make sure I made it in time before they closed. As always it was worth the trip and great to be outdoors for the second time in the same week after being stuck riding indoors since December.

https://www.strava.com/activities/1424208627

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Have ever taken Bridge St to Old Gillbetville Rd to Church St? I like to stop on the covered bridge kind of a nice place.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts