Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ride ID App

I was looking around for and found an app called Ride ID. It creates a home/Lock screen that has all your contact information on it...in case of emergencys. But looks like it's only for iPhone or it's not available for Android any more. It's a neat looking app. I wonder if anyone could make a simple app like this. I can't post a Link... just search

Ride ID

I think it would show you what I have seen.

·
a real member's member
3,880 Posts

I always leave main contacts within my text messaging just in case I get hit by a truck. knock wood. B^)

another idea is a bracelet or lamenated card with contact info.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I am using an Android phone and I don't think it's available for Android. It would be awesome have a Lock screen or home screen like that.

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
You don't really need an app for this. And in fact it's a bit of a security risk.

Just use any free image editor and create an image with the text you want on it, then save it as your lock screen background.

If you really want an app, just search for 'In Case Of Emergency' in the Google Play Store. There are a bunch of them.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Can't android set up your details on the lock screen by default. It kept telling me to set it up when I got my new one last week (haven't so don't know the details of it)

·
Use my Apps :)
959 Posts
FWIW I just put in some ICE telephone numbers under "Security --> Lock Screen Message" (Android 6 on a Nexus 5X). Most every recent version of Android I've run has a similar way to put up a lock screen message. Sadly too much more about yourself than a couple emergency numbers on the screen is a bit risky as Migen21 also points out. Phones can get ejected or trashed in accidents too so perhaps the good old medic ID bracelet or dog tags is better. It's more likely to be in a place where medical staff would actually see it (on your body as opposed to in a pocket on a jersey they took off of you and threw on the floor)

As a bit of an aside to any EMTs actually look for any ICE or Road IDs or anything? I know I've read more than one account where it was the last thing on their minds. Their primary focus typically is to stabilize and transport to hospital, No? Maybe ER staff would look but my guess is that's all after they do any emergency treatment. If you are unconscious or have really life threatening issues they have bigger fish to fry than looking at your phone.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Recently, I suffered from an episode of syncope and collapsed in our local convenience store after a ride. I had in my center jersey pocket a home-made ICE card that I had "laminated" with 2" clear packing tape. The local fire chief was first on the scene and searched and found the card. He gave the info to the EMT/ambulance folks.

The card has my name, DOB, blood type, routine meds (blood pressure), "no known drug allergies", and a list of phone numbers.

The fire chief gave the info to the ambulance folks, and they called my better half as they were carting my unconscious carcass to the ER. Actually, they called three times because my better half does not typically answer calls from numbers she doesn't recognize.

I believe the root cause of the entire ordeal was that I had become progressively under-hydrated during the week. Anyway, my home-brew ICE card worked.

·
Farmguy
573 Posts
I have a Road ID app with my ICE # on the locked screen. You can also set up a emergency contact list for iphones under the health app.
Open health app...look for Medicial ID.
2 fill out as much as you want.

Now from your locked screen you swipe right, then lower right you see emergency" tap that lower right Med ID comes up and everything you filled out is listed. I had a EMT tell me about it.

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
Recently, I suffered from an episode of syncope and collapsed in our local convenience store after a ride. I had in my center jersey pocket a home-made ICE card that I had "laminated" with 2" clear packing tape. The local fire chief was first on the scene and searched and found the card. He gave the info to the EMT/ambulance folks.

The card has my name, DOB, blood type, routine meds (blood pressure), "no known drug allergies", and a list of phone numbers.

The fire chief gave the info to the ambulance folks, and they called my better half as they were carting my unconscious carcass to the ER. Actually, they called three times because my better half does not typically answer calls from numbers she doesn't recognize.

I believe the root cause of the entire ordeal was that I had become progressively under-hydrated during the week. Anyway, my home-brew ICE card worked.
This is truly the best option. In a crash your phone could be damaged, or the battery be dead when you are found. The ICE app won't be of much help.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts