Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5,183 Posts
... I ride based on prevailing conditions with my personal safety being paramount (even above "the law")...

Locally, cycling lanes in the downtown area are a relatively new addition and in some instances, represent what from a cyclist's POV, random paint thrown on the ground (lanes too close to parked cars.. lanes that pinch... lanes that end abruptly while the road continues... lanes through craptacular road surfaces and sewer grates... etc).

In this city, there is currently no ordinance restricting cyclist to just using the lanes so I avail myself of the unified code and take lanes when appropriate (as mentioned above, the lanes are relatively new and not everyone "respects" them).

I'd rather have an argument in court than have my family identify the remains.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
This is an interesting debate and I can see both sides of the argument. Personally, I would rather ride close to the edge of the road thus giving cars more space to pass. I know that if you get an idiot who comes too close, you have less room to move over but I'll take the odds of this over riding nearer the center and have many cars come close to me when they pass.

Exceptions involve bad pavement. I'll do a lot to avoid it including moving to the center of the road if it all possible.

·
Bike Wing Conspiracy
810 Posts
Depends entirely on conditions and needs.

Bicyclists are not required to ride in bike lanes.

I take them as I see them.

If I see obstructions, lots of other cyclists or I have to turn from the other lane I will make the corrections and move it to the centerline.

·
Registered
5,183 Posts
Bicyclists are not required to ride in bike lanes.

I take them as I see them.

If I see obstructions, lots of other cyclists or I have to turn from the other lane I will make the corrections and move it to the centerline.
... what constitutes a hazard to a cyclist is often different to what constitutes a hazard to a driver... I try to be... proactive, perhaps even agressive in pursuit of an implied right to both use the road (in Ohio, "Share the road" is the unified code and I've yet to visit a city/town/burg that requires cyclist to use a path or lane if available though I know they exist in the state) and a right to go home in one piece as long as I'm playing by the rules.

One issue with lanes is that from many a driver's POV, if the lane ends, so does a cyclist's right to use the road.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
11,981 Posts
If we had any bike lanes like that within 100 mi. radius I would use themm.

·
Registered
5,234 Posts
Centerline is stupid. It's too close to oncoming traffic and leaves room to the cyclist's right for a car to box him into a rapidly deteriorating situation.

In my region, there are bike lanes but the letter of the law is to ride as far to the right as is safe and practicable. Turn placement still applies too, and bike lanes are often merged with right-turn lanes.

My attitude about all of this is that if a bike lane is safe and I'm just riding in a straight line, I'll use it. If it's in the door zone or there are delivery trucks in it or there's some other thing I see as a hazard to me, I'll take the lane. I also place myself in different lanes when I'm getting ready to turn, or to get around cars waiting to turn right, etc. I don't typically center myself in lanes.

I like the passenger-side wheel rut a lot, actually - it's a little rougher, but it puts me in a place where drivers expect to see another vehicle and where they can pass me by straddling the centerline. I don't really care if people want to pass me, and cars develop a lot more power than I do. But if there's not enough room for them to pass me safely without shifting further left, I want them to commit to it and not buzz me. I feel like that placement is less ambiguous, and I find I don't tend to get buzzed when I'm there.

·
Registered
9,183 Posts
I like the passenger-side wheel rut a lot, actually - it's a little rougher, but it puts me in a place where drivers expect to see another vehicle and where they can pass me by straddling the centerline. I don't really care if people want to pass me, and cars develop a lot more power than I do. But if there's not enough room for them to pass me safely without shifting further left, I want them to commit to it and not buzz me. I feel like that placement is less ambiguous, and I find I don't tend to get buzzed when I'm there.
I agree with this. In fact I feel that it's the safest place to ride, and the traffic sweeps that part of the lane clean.

I will, when stopped at a light, move over to the center-line though. Way out there I'm easier to be seen by the drivers. If I'm behind a car or truck I place myself so I'm visible in his side view mirror so I can be seen by him and the oncoming traffic. Also, being out there, if someone is turning right there is enough room for him to "right turn after stop".
When the light goes green it's back to the passenger side wheel rut.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.