Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Jerkhard Sirdribbledick
27,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
<table width="700" border="0"><tr><td>Good: July 4th is on a Friday, so I get to do my long ride on a Friday and get an entire Saturday to myself.

Bad: It's gonna be a hot one!

Fail: Can't find my Panasonic P & S.

Good: I do, however, find my old Canon S200 P & S, which happens to be the first camera I ever owned.

Bad: 2 megapixels. But it's not the camera, right?

Fail: Wrong. Metering is all screwed up. I have to expose for the sky else the whole picture gets washed out.

Good: Start out north on PCH. Mild temperatures. Destination: PCH to Latigo to Kanan to Mulholland to Topanga to a BBQ/pool in Canoga Park. 52 miles, approx 5700ft of climbing.

Bad: Pass a guy stranded with a flat.

Fail: Give him most of one of my two CO2 cartridges. Guess he didn't patch it up too well. He's still flat, and I'm out a cartridge.

Good: Start up Latigo. Approx. 2300ft of gain over 9 miles. Not a steep climb, but endless. Start off feeling pretty good.

Bad: The further I go up, the hotter it gets (maxing out at 97-degrees) and the less ocean breeze I get. Finally make it to the top and start a short descent. What's that noise I hear when I'm braking?

Fail: Make it to Kanan, hang a right. Pfffffffffffft. Rear rim is super hot. Hmm. Brake pads look worn. Could it be the Zero G's have struck again?

Good: I've got a spare tube and maybe 1.25 CO2 cartridges.

Bad: Having just finished the climb, I barely have the energy to change the tube. Quick Release, rest. Wheel off, rest. Tube out, rest. You get the idea.

Fail: After wasting even more energy getting all the air out of the dead tube so I can stow it back in my saddlebag, I see a trash can 20 feet away from me.

Good: Get going again. Hang a right on Mulholland, begin fast and fun 5-mile descent.

Bad: Taking it kind of easy on the descent, lest my rim heats up again. There's that braking sound again.

Fail: Pull up into a parking lot, hoping it's the Rock Store. I need liquids. It's not. Wait … shhhh …… Pfffffffffffffffffffft. New tube goes. Rim: hot.

Good: I've got no more tubes, but I've got a little CO2 left and a patch kit. I patch up the tube and use every last drop of CO2 left to get the tire near full.

Bad: This is only the second time in my life I've ever tried to patch a tube. Worked the first time …

Fail: … Not the second time.

Good: I've got a cell phone and 1/4 bottle of liquid.

Bad: My wife is in the pool and is not picking up her phone, and I've only got 1/4 bottle of liquid!

Fail: 97-degress in the shade. Feet hurt from pedaling hot spot, so shoes are off (it's fine when I'm pedalling, but hurts when I walk in the shoes). Can't walk on hot pavement. Stuck waiting in patch of shade.

Good: Wife finally picks up phone and heads out to save me.

Bad: Can't find a volleyball to keep me company.

Fail: After learning that help is on the way, Hollywood taunts me with evil text messages. ("Super nice inside REI. Almost TOO cold." And "*sip* ahhh.")

<hr size="1" width="600">

San Vicente in Brentwood.

Heading up Latigo.

The road from whence I came.

Taking a picture was such a pain in the arse. The camera took forever to turn on, I had to aim at the sky to get the exposure, then frame the shot. All while riding because I didn't want to stop. Talk about a momentum killer.

Still climbing.

Getting close to the top.

After getting my last flat, it was just me and my bottle.

The sun is encroaching on me.

View from a Fail.

After my wife picked me up, we headed back up Mulholland toward Kanan. I noticed a fire had started a little ways east and surmised that it was near Mulholland and Las Virgenes, about 6 miles east of where I flatted. I turned on the police scanner and my assumption was correct. Either I would have gotten there after the fire had started and been forced to turn around, or I would have gotten through there just before it started and the smoke would have consumed me further down the highway. Either way, it was probably a good thing that the flats happened.

After a couple hours of pool/BBQ, wife and I headed to a July 4 party with HW and bunch of his lunatic MTB buddies. "Wait, which ride was it when you broke your neck and still bombed the downhill?" The first shot is a view of the L.A. River en route to the party. The last three are from the NIKE missile station, after a mile-or-so hike. All the smoke in the sky is from the fire that I narrowly avoided.

</td></tr></table>

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
pump

This is why I always carry a pump. My old zefal frame pump is my favourite. Not as convenient as a CO2 cartridge but it is always there if needed.

·
Registered
783 Posts
Look at it this way you had the S**t happen this ride so now you should be good to go for a long time. BTW I always carry 3 tubes 3 co2 and glueless patch kit. rather be safe than sorry. Glad your wife was there to save you.

Ray Still

·
Downhill Juggernaut
1,673 Posts
I think you should use that camera more.

At first I forgot what camera you had and was trying to figure out what filter you were using. Nice soft focus, made for a good effect.

·
Jerkhard Sirdribbledick
27,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Chris H said:
I think you should use that camera more.

At first I forgot what camera you had and was trying to figure out what filter you were using. Nice soft focus, made for a good effect.
Wait ... the night-time shots were with my D300. Are those the ones you're talking about?

As for carrying a pump, I'm not too interested in that. A frame pump would be one thing, but the mini-pumps are pretty awful and sometimes cause more problems than they're worth (broken valve stems, etc.). I'm pretty sure I know what went wrong when I did the patch, so next time I'll have to be more careful.

·
Downhill Juggernaut
1,673 Posts
DrRoebuck said:
Wait ... the night-time shots were with my D300. Are those the ones you're talking about?

As for carrying a pump, I'm not too interested in that. A frame pump would be one thing, but the mini-pumps are pretty awful and sometimes cause more problems than they're worth (broken valve stems, etc.). I'm pretty sure I know what went wrong when I did the patch, so next time I'll have to be more careful.
Photos number 5 and 6 are the ones I was referring to. They have an almost Holga-esque quality to them.

I figured you were using your D300 for the night shots. It has a very distinctive style for you as well. I almost alway recognize it.

·
Jerkhard Sirdribbledick
27,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Chris H said:
Photos number 5 and 6 are the ones I was referring to. They have an almost Holga-esque quality to them.

I figured you were using your D300 for the night shots. It has a very distinctive style for you as well. I almost alway recognize it.
Yeah, I see what you're saying. I think the softness was from aiming at the sky to set the exposure, which also makes the sky the focus point. But they do have kind of a cool look ...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.