Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Jerkhard Sirdribbledick
27,037 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
<table width="700" border="0"><tr><td>Yesterday I took off on a mostly unfamiliar route. I started in Calabasas, rode up Valley Circle to the Santa Susana Pass, took the pass to Simi, cut across Simi Valley and into Moorpark, then up and over Grimes Canyon to Fillmore, where I turned around, went back over Grimes Canyon, through Moorpark, then straight down into Thousand Oaks, then back through Westlake Village and Agoura and into Calabasas.

Even though I Topo'd the route, it was much harder than I thought it would be. 78 miles, 5200-ft of climbing. It just seemed like non-stop climbing.

I did the first 20 miles of this route last year, as well as the last 10 or so, but the whole middle chunk was foreign to me (as far as riding goes). I love finding new routes.

<hr size="1" width="600">

The elevation profile. That second peak is northbound Grimes Canyon, and the descent after that was A LOT of fun.
</td></tr></table>
<table border="0" width="700"><tr><td>

Starting up Valley Circle.

See that white string? True fact: Orthodox Jews will surround certain neighborhoods with said string so that they can consider it an enclosed area (i.e. house) and therefore circumvent various Shabbat rules, such as pushing a stroller to shul, etc.

Going around Chatsworth Lake.

I've finally figured out the routing kinks with the 705. Basically, they don't like using GPX files anymore, which makes sense since that's a universal format. :rolleyes: You can only upload two routes at a time with a max of 100 waypoints. If you use Courses (not a universal format) you can upload as much as you want.

I took this same shot last year, just before climbing the Santa Susana Pass.

Climbing.

Almost at the top. Maybe. Maybe not.

This is all I saw for 7 or so miles.

An abandoned store in Simi Valley.

At the western end of Simi.

Climbing up Tierra Rejada, between Simi and Moorpark.

In Moorpark, starting the gradual climb up Walnut Canyon.

Headed toward the start of Grimes Canyon.

Starting up Grimes (aka Hwy 23).

*pant*

Still going.

HItting the top and about to start a killer descent.

Beautiful scenery out here ...

... except the part where miners have carved away half the mountain.
</td></tr></table>

·
Jerkhard Sirdribbledick
27,037 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
<table width="700" border="0"><tr><td>

Ending the great descent and about to arrive in Fillmore.

After stretching for a minute I started back down the 23.

Stopping for a "water" break.

Did I mention I love the scenery around here?

Starting back up Grimes. This side was much harder than the other side. That's what she said.

I kept telling myself no more pictures, but the late afternoon light was too sweet.

Ghettoglyphics.

Summiting the other side. For some reason I thought the hard part of the ride was over. It wasn't.

Citrus groves. I needed my DSLR for this shot.

Moorpark Road, heading out of Moorpark and toward Thousand Oaks.

This was the part of the ride that surprised me. The climb was only about a mile-and-a-quarter long, but it was steep, narrow, and filled with crazed lunatic drivers.

In Thousand Oaks. The Catch-22 with the sweet afternoon light is that you want to keep stopping to take pics, but it's also getting late as phuck.

Questionable urban planning.

The home stretch: Thousand Oaks to Calabasas.

Next time I'm bringing my DSLR. In my car.

The last hill of the day.

Or so I thought.

The Bridge to Salvation. One left turn and it was an easy cruise through Calabasas to my waiting car.</td></tr></table>

·
Non non normal
10,103 Posts
The tree in the middle of the road is a classic.

I love the way you capture unique looks on the faces of people. LOL

·
Bacon!
9,190 Posts
Great stuff. That profile looks like a shark's mouth. Nice scenery.

·
Jerkhard Sirdribbledick
27,037 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
JohnHenry said:
what was the avg grade on the 3 major climbs?

Great pixxors! I, too, like the questionable urban planning tree.
Thanks, TM.

5.31%, 5.09%, 5.62%

That last one is deceptive because it had steeper switchbacks with a little tapering in between. The first two were much more steady.

The surprise climb, right around the 56-mile mark, was 7.88% for just over a mile.

·
All I wanted was a Pepsi!
5,351 Posts
With just a little detour (okay, a big detour) you coulda climbed the Wall in Balcome Canyon.

But for a fail, you did pretty good.:p

No. 18 in the first set's my fave.

·
Devoid of all flim-flam
7,287 Posts
We could've crossed paths last Saturday, as I was on Mureau Road while slogging my way through a 70 mile "training ride." Hey. I'm getting stronger by the week. Now my legs cramp up at 65 miles instead of 60.

BTW, I took this shot at the ghettoglyphic spot, sometime in the early 1990's. With my Rolleiflex.

·
the fist
13,711 Posts
DrRoebuck said:
Thanks, TM.

5.31%, 5.09%, 5.62%

That last one is deceptive because it had steeper switchbacks with a little tapering in between. The first two were much more steady.

The surprise climb, right around the 56-mile mark, was 7.88% for just over a mile.
That's pretty mean at mile 56 :cryin:

·
Jerkhard Sirdribbledick
27,037 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Mapei said:
We could've crossed paths last Saturday, as I was on Mureau Road while slogging my way through a 70 mile "training ride." Hey. I'm getting stronger by the week. Now my legs cramp up at 65 miles instead of 60.

BTW, I took this shot at the ghettoglyphic spot, sometime in the early 1990's. With my Rolleiflex.
Holy crap! Is that face still there or do those carvings wash away with each rain season? I don't remember seeing it on the ride.

·
Devoid of all flim-flam
7,287 Posts
It all goes. It all changes. Whether it's the rain, the wind, the authorities or the local artisan-hoodlums, I do not know.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts