Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

· Jerkhard Sirdribbledick
27,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
<table width="700" border="0"><tr><td>Got in a great ride on Saturday. 80 miles, somewhere around 6000ft of climbing (Topo says one thing, my Garmin says another, so I split the difference).

PCH had been torn up for a while, but they just finished repaving it. Nice! So I took PCH all the way up to Mulholland Highway. The climb up Mulholland Highway probably averages 4-5% over 11 miles, with nothing too steep. It's a great climb.

From the top of Mulholland I descended down into Agoura Hills, then took the foothills (lots of steep rollers) through Calabasas and into Woodland Hills. From there I climbed back over Topanga to PCH and meandered home.

<hr size="1" width="600">

The freshly re-paved PCH.

Hmm. Trouble at work?

Entering “downtown” Malibu.

The heart of “downtown” Malibu. The first hill of the day is in the distance.

My ranch.

Starting the climb up Mulholland Highway.

The Manson Family Amphitheater.

The last time I would see the ocean in a looooong time.

More climbing.

One of about four false summits. The downhills are a nice reprieve from the 11-mile grind. I think they usually last about 20 seconds.

What goes down, must go back up.

Two views of the road behind me.

Jeez, what some people do for ESPN. :rolleyes:

Getting a little bit closer to the top.

Starting down one of the last false summits.

Same as the last one.

Getting closer.

Just around that bend is the actual summit.

My bike, seeing a man about a horse.

Chillin’ in the shade at the top of Mulholland Highway, eating Fig Newtons.
</td></tr></table>

27,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
<table width="700" border="0"><tr><td>

The recently cleaned IF. Not so clean anymore. Clear water bottles are ugly.

Starting a fantastic, 5-mile descent.

On the way back up Topanga; another climb. In L.A. we don’t have trailer parks, we have Mobile Estates. And wtf does an Open House of a mobile home consist of? "Note the smoothness of the fake wood wallpaper …"

“Downtown” Topanga. About to start a quarter-mile away from a fun little 1.5-mile descent.

Back on the beach.

Looks like it hasn’t rained in a while.

I noticed the cool reflection from the sign on the door and had to sneak in this shot, lest the Gestapo bouncer see me and yell: “No pictures!”

The next day, was cruising to a movie with my wife when this bus driver almost killed us. We argued. We left. Then he started veering into the bike lane on purpose to mess with me. I beat him to his next stop, threw my bike in front of the bus and waited for his supervisor to come. BUSted.
</td></tr></table>

· Premium Member
21,853 Posts
DrRoebuck said:

The next day, was cruising to a movie with my wife when this bus driver almost killed us. We argued. We left. Then he started veering into the bike lane on purpose to mess with me. I beat him to his next stop, threw my bike in front of the bus and waited for his supervisor to come. BUSted.
[/SIZE][/FONT]</td></tr></table>
You did for real?

Kool!

· midnight melon mounter
6,625 Posts
DrRoebuck said:
Awesomeness.

27,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
MB1 said:
You did for real?

Kool!
Yup. I was PISSED. All the passengers had to disembark and catch another bus.

And we still made it in time for the movie!

FatTireFred said:
your bike needed to see a man about a horse???
Yeah, I dunno. Looked like the bike was taking a bathroom break. You've never heard that saying?

27,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thinkcooper said:
Awesome report. I've always wanted to ride Mulholland. Maybe it was all the "Adam 12" episodes I watched as a kid.
Anytime, babes.

Fattire: I posted a pic a looooong time ago of another bus. But I didn't say much about it (similar to this thread).

· duh...
9,749 Posts
DrRoebuck said:
Yup. I was PISSED. All the passengers had to disembark and catch another bus.

And we still made it in time for the movie!
you go, baller

DrRoebuck said:
Yeah, I dunno. Looked like the bike was taking a bathroom break. You've never heard that saying?
oh yeah, I've heard it, hear it at least once a week at home... never heard of a bike having to take a dump tho

· duh...
9,749 Posts
DrRoebuck said:
Anytime, babes.

Fattire: I posted a pic a looooong time ago of another bus. But I didn't say much about it (similar to this thread).

not you then... I recall someone going on about stopping the bus, cops coming, a big commotion being made. mighta been on mtbr, it's been a while

27,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
FatTireFred said:
not you then... I recall someone going on about stopping the bus, cops coming, a big commotion being made. mighta been on mtbr, it's been a while
Yeah, that rings a bell.

· Registered
1,627 Posts
Thanks for posting. Brings back a lot of memories. Used to live in Santa Monica and work in Pacific Palisades. Father's Office was one of my haunts. Great to learn it still exists.

I was an MTBer and backstreet bike commuter back then, though. I could never imagine riding the shoulder of PCH on a road bike. Those drivers are nuts. I never saw many roadies on PCH in the late '80s/early '90s. When I first got my driver's license, I'd go out at night and do stupid things take those PCH curves at 60mph.

Are there a lot of roadies on PCH? I could imagine driving north and parking near Topanga or Latigo or one of the canyons and riding up/down, but not riding up there.

27,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
team_sheepshead said:
Are there a lot of roadies on PCH? I could imagine driving north and parking near Topanga or Latigo or one of the canyons and riding up/down, but not riding up there.
Yeah, usually. I left really late on Saturday so didn't see many (except a hundred or so stragglers on the AIDS ride).

Getting to Topanga is not bad. You can take the bike path to Temescal, then take PCH the rest of the way. It's probably the hairiest stretch, but only in a few specific points. The rest is fine.

· Back from the dead
20,800 Posts
What? No Rock Store picture?

I love riding Mulholland, but I don't get to do it often enough. Topanga is another story. I used to commute over Topanga every day when I lived in the valley and worked in Santa Monica, and it just seems too tight in a lot of places for me to ride without freaking out.

27,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hollywood said:
Nice running into you at FO...too bad they wouldn't let you in :p
I should have brought a $50 and slipped it into his hand.

mohair_chair said:
What? No Rock Store picture?

I love riding Mulholland, but I don't get to do it often enough. Topanga is another story. I used to commute over Topanga every day when I lived in the valley and worked in Santa Monica, and it just seems too tight in a lot of places for me to ride without freaking out.
No rock store. I'd chilled at the summit for a while so I didn't want to stop again.

The only part about Topanga that's sketchy is on the descent toward PCH, but at that point I'm going faster than (most) cars so I take the whole road.

· Bacon!
9,193 Posts
The bus . . .you're my hero now.

That does look like an awesome ride. I love mountains!

But still, beach with no bikini shots. :(

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.