Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have really enjoyed looking at the ride reports in here. They really make me want to get on my bicycle right now!

I am thinking I might like to contribute something of my own in the future. So, I believe this thread should be on-topic enough for this forum. I have a couple questions...

First I have this in mind: it seems like there are plenty of pictures taken in motion... anybody ever dropped a camera? Is it a challenge to keep from injuring your camera? Where do you keep it when you ride so that it doesn't get either jarred or sweaty?

Second, I need a digital camera - Any recommendations? ($200 would be a nice amount, but I suppose I could go a higher for the right features. I am interested in something with a fairly quick processing speed; maybe 3-6 megapixels; small enough to fit in a pants pocket; also decent photo quality in low light situations would be nice.) Are there additional things to consider for a camera that will be used to take photoes in transit?

Any ideas appreciated. And thanks to all who have taken the time to provide the inspiration.

·
Premium Member
21,910 Posts
Don't worry so much, it is not about the camera.

Just get any ol' camera, take some pix you like.

Post them with a story.

We will like it and if you do it several times you will develop your own style.

Every journey starts with a first step-show us your normal ride or favorite bike or favorite local bike shop for your first report.

Looking forward to it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have an ultra compact Pentax Optio S4i that goes everywhere with me. My friend (a cyclist) just bought the latest model, an Optio S6 and loves it. Canon's Digital Elph series are also ultra compact. Nikon also has a new series of these size of compacts.

If you're really concerned about durability, then consider the Olympus Stylus 720 SW Digital Camera which is also waterproof. But, although it is shockproof to withstand a 5' drop, it won't survive bouncing off a moving bike. It will be a little more than your budget.

In addition to fast processing speed, you'll also want a very fast start-up. Since you're considering using it while riding, I suggest checking out a camera store where you can handle the cameras and consider one that is easy to grip firmly without covering up any sensors and also has appropriate sized controls (some of the ultra compacts have very small buttons that wouldn't be practical while riding).

I haven't taken photos while riding... I worry that it might have a magnetic attraction for the road. I carry it in a Bento Box (a handy little nylon box that sits on the top tube) - check it out at: http://www.trisports.com/benbakil.html.

For digital camera reviews, check out www.dpreview.com

Have fun.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Good thoughts about the buttons and the startup. I was figuring I would get a better deal online, but I certainly should go check stuff out in stores so that I can handle it first.

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
Fred_Litespeed said:
I have really enjoyed looking at the ride reports in here. They really make me want to get on my bicycle right now!

I am thinking I might like to contribute something of my own in the future. So, I believe this thread should be on-topic enough for this forum. I have a couple questions...

First I have this in mind: it seems like there are plenty of pictures taken in motion... anybody ever dropped a camera? Is it a challenge to keep from injuring your camera? Where do you keep it when you ride so that it doesn't get either jarred or sweaty?

Second, I need a digital camera - Any recommendations? ($200 would be a nice amount, but I suppose I could go a higher for the right features. I am interested in something with a fairly quick processing speed; maybe 3-6 megapixels; small enough to fit in a pants pocket; also decent photo quality in low light situations would be nice.) Are there additional things to consider for a camera that will be used to take photoes in transit?

Any ideas appreciated. And thanks to all who have taken the time to provide the inspiration.
I second MB1's just do it encouragement - when you get started you'll figure out what works and what doesn't

don't get hung up on camera gear - I use a Nikon Coolpix something - I would suggest cheap and cheerful - I keep it in a small Lowe camera bag in my back jersey pocket - I don't take pictures in the rain - never dropped it (or had a wreck) but I am careful about when and where I take pictures - I get the willies in heavy traffic and fast downhills - I take almost all of my pictures from a moving bike

my best tips are to take a bunch of pictures and expect to discard loads - I always point shoot at someting interesting, "pretty", worthy of comment and hope for the best - sometimes it works - sometimes it doesn't - unlike some others here I am not a photographer and have little interest in "art" or photography as a dicipline (I do enjoy looking - just not making) - however, I enjoy taking pictures to show folks where I've ridden - especially friends and family who live far away - you get to some off the beaten track sorta places on a bike - I feel like I get to travel fairly intimately (via some of the ride reports) to places (around the world) that I'd otherwise never get to - I keep that in mind when I post - showing people parts of England that aren't in the tourist brochures is what my posts usually aim for

you'll develop your own style with a a few posts - I tend to have a linear narrative sorta style for ride reports - started here - rode through here - got some drinks here - finished here - there's always a few obligatory shots of the bike - like most here - (thankfully) there's rarely any pictures of me in a report - but if I'm riding with anybody they feature some

looking forward to your first report - perhaps start with a pictorial on your bike before moving to something more ambitious?

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
I've been carrying my camera (Canon Powershot A80) in a small pouch I found at REI; the camera fits snugly inside, there's adequate padding, and the whole thing fits in a bottle cage, where I can secure it with one of several straps. The top of the bag has both a zipper and a Velcro closure, so while I'm riding I leave it unzipped and rely on the Velcro to keep the camera from making an unplanned exit. It's no more trouble to get the camera out than it is to get a water bottle.

Unlike most other posters, I'm not too keen on shooting while riding. I have no qualms about stopping for a compelling subject (which might explain why people hate riding with me).

I think you'll find you'll get more out of your rides when you start taking photos, just because you'll be more aware of your surroundings. You'll start seeing things you never noticed before.

Just one request: Please, please size the photos you post so that they're about 600 pixels in width, so it doesn't take forever to download (for us troglodytes with dial-up) and it doesn't expand the accompanying text so we have to scroll left and right to read everything.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Try it out with one hand.

Fred_Litespeed said:
Good thoughts about the buttons and the startup. I was figuring I would get a better deal online, but I certainly should go check stuff out in stores so that I can handle it first.

Thanks.
+1

Hi Fred, I am enjoying shooting pictures more now when I ride, because I can post them here on RBR. Even though I don't do it too often because my subjects are a little dull compared to the big guns; MB1, Arby, bigbill etc.
I found dpreview.com to be a great site also for a newbie like me. I bought my Sony online and wish I hadn't. I don't stop riding on the bike to shoot and the problem I have found is that I can't turn it on. The camera is small and I keep it in a chest pocket in the winter and in a hip pocket now. If I am riding, I can pull it out of my pocket but have to use my teeth, big ones on top jaw. to turn it on and off. No long fingernails on my hands. The lens extends out from the camera each time but doesn't fit the pockets unless you turn it off. Not only is that button super small, the screen is tiny too. So I just shoot, hope for the best, and delete all the ones that don't turn out. My time in the saddle is limited so I like to push myself when I am on the bike, but someday this summer I want to just ride around for fun and actually stop to take some pictures for a report.

For the record; The ride reports and replys are my favorite thing about C+T on RBR. They motivate me, and cause me to look for humor and beauty on my rides instead of always looking down at my slow spinning cranks/pedals.:D

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Great feedback all. Thanks. I enjoy reading about bikes and related topics in different forums, and I have encountered a variety of thought provoking information and discussion, but many places seem to digress into wierd arguments and sniping etc. The ride reports here seems to really capture the spirit of simply sharing the joy of riding; and I am all for that.

Today I rode my folding bike to the station and took the train up to Santa Barbara. There were several fascinating photo ops at different points in the day. I was sad not to have a camera, almost kicking myself; but also I am sure that it was partially the fact that I have been thinking about this that caused me to notice things in the way I did.

Hopefully sooner rather than later I will have a new camera and some pics to share.

·
Misfit Toy
23,428 Posts
Fred-I've noticed that Canon is coming out with a couple of new models; so some of the older models are going on sale. SD450 is going for $299 - originally $399.

·
Big is relative
11,887 Posts
I second the bento box suggestion. I use one, you can see it just behind the headtube in the latest series I posted. Bento means box, so it is a box box. I keep the camera in a ziplock bag in the bento most of the time due to frequent rain here in Hawaii. If the weather is nice, I will take the camera out of the bag, fold the bag up and put it under the camera in the bento. I use a Sony 4.1 mp camera that has a wrist strap. If I want to do a rolling series, I leave the wrist strap hanging out, slide my hand through it, open the velcro top, turn on the camera, and shoot away. I have no idea what I have until I get home and download the pictures so I take a bunch. It is not unusual to take 40-50 pictures that way. I keep the camera in a VGA/internet format so they are ready to post and don't consume the memory.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
snapdragen said:
Fred-I've noticed that Canon is coming out with a couple of new models; so some of the older models are going on sale. SD450 is going for $299 - originally $399.
Good tip. I have looked at that camera among many others. It had a solid rating on cnet. I found it for $248 with no tax and free shipping. I have been browsing and searching a lot of info on digital cameras lately, and this seemed like a good set of features for the price so I felt okay about going ahead with the online purchase. I can debate these things with myself forever sometimes, but eventually you gotta just pull the trigger. It is for more than just cycling, so if the controls or whatever are not ideally situated for shots on the run I can live with that. I am quite excited that I will finally have a digital camera, and I think it will add a new element of adventure to my cycling as well.

Thanks everybody. I shall reward you with the first pics of my bikes and my commute, probably in a couple weeks; after I get the camera and get to play with it some.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts